Portsmouth 56 - 21 Cincinnati Deer Park 2021

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Portsmouth 56 - 21 Cincinnati Deer Park 2021

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Former Portsmouth head coach and now Deer Park offensive coordinator Jason Sparks will bring his team back to Portsmouth for a showdown next Friday night. Thoughts on this one?

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Re: Week 3 Cincinnati Deer Park (1-1) @ Portsmouth (2-0)

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Phs by 10

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Hard to gauge at this point. I know Purcell-Marian used to be a GCL North powerhouse and Deer Park lost a close 16-13 game to them week 1. They haven't been overly successful the last few years but they probably play a much tougher schedule than we do. I imagine they will at least have a few good athletes and it will be a nice early season test for us.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Sparks did a horrible job at Portsmouth I believe he was around 1-2 seasons. Deer park is 1-1 and honestly I don’t know if the teams they played so far are any good. Portsmouth just needs to keep playing the defense that’s got them 2-0. Work on the offensive like, give roe time to throw and establish a running game. Last night other than roe last quarter Trojans had no run game. No prediction yet. I have to find out more on deer park.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
fanofsports740
Waterboy

Post by fanofsports740 »

portsmouth is pretty darn good, if the offense is clicking i’ll say 40-14 portsmouth

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Deer Park in this one but hopefully PHS can pull the upset

Burg grad 85
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I know nothing about Deer Park besides they are from Cincinnati and a former coach at Portsmouth is now there. Also I think maybe they won a playoff game last season? Anyways I could see this game going a few different ways. They may be too much for Portsmouth and it’s not even close. The Cincinnati name may sound scary but maybe they aren’t that great, and Portsmouth is too much for them. Most likely and this is what I’m leaning towards is that it’s going to be a good game, but if Portsmouth doesn’t get their offense rolling then they won’t win this game. Gut feeling is this team has the speed to keep up with Portsmouth. Shall be interesting to find out on Friday night.

Who Dey!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth offense does not concern me they can score points the 0 points in first half against valley was surprising but since then they have looked good , I don't expect to see a huge running game out of the Trojans just enough to mix things up , the little dump pass will.more then likely be our running game with Johnson and Roe running when needed,ive always thought Carr would be a pretty good running back but after his performance this week he's fine where he is out,Roe has a number of good receivers to throw the ball too hard for teams to double team anyone, west did double up on Bryant and that opened others up.

Don't know anything about deer park so im just going to wait and watch.

Go Trojans

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Hoping the Trojans can keep doing what they've done thus far.......good defense, and getting the ball in the hands of the playmakers on offense. Deer Park will have some athletes, and could very well be the toughest test to date. Portsmouth should be on an emotional high after the win over West. PHS did a much better job limiting penalties in game 2. Very pleased to see our kicking game missing only 1 Xpoint thus far.

Deer Park lost to Purcell-Marian 16-13 and beat Cincinnati Western Hills 28-8. According to MaxPreps, DP has a roster of 60 players. The OHSAA has DP a D6 school in Region 24. Their most recent boys enrollment figure is 129.

Deer Park's playoff history: 4 appearances, last one in 2018, overall a 1-4 record, no regional titles.

A win over Deer Park will put the Trojans in a very strong position for a playoff spot heading into OVC play. GO TROJANS!!!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Portsmouth so far surprise of the year

Portsmouth by 10

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Beergogglebluez
SE

mattash wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:45 pm Portsmouth so far surprise of the year

Portsmouth by 10
Definitely on the defensive side. It’s only been 2 weeks but Portsmouth usually gives up 70 points in that span.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

PHS could be the surprise team of the year. I know zip about DP but the Trojans proved me wrong last week and they did so convincingly.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good luck Trojans in your upcoming matchup with Cincinnati Deer Park. Lets hope for an injury free game for both teams.

Beergogglebluez
SE

After 2 weeks of the Trojans stopping the run I wonder if deer park will go pass heavy. Trojans have not been tested in the air much. I’m going Trojans by 10 they seem to be clicking right now.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I was curious to see if we had any history with this school and not only have we never played them, we've never played anyone in their conference in football.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

So I did a bit of research on Deer Park. Last game against Western Hills their QB only had 37 yards passing. They had a back who had 9 carries for 90 and a TD, and a back (Johnson, seems like their best player) who had 6 carries for 135 and a score. Plus a few other kids had carries, as well as the QB. The game before when they took a loss for Purcell Marian they rushed for 96 yards as a team and the QB threw for 98. I believe the QB is a sophomore and this is his first year starting. This team appears like they run the ball at will. The Johnson kid is also a ballhawk on defense. After watching some film on this team, I think the Trojans can win, but it’s going to be a tough game. They have some athletes that can compete with the Trojans. However, if they stop the run like they did against Valley and West, I think Portsmouth wins.

Who Dey!
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Yes, we've had a pretty big speed and athleticism advantage the first two games. Not to take away from the lines and defense because they appear to be much approved but we can't just turn this into a track meet and wear then down if they are as quick as they sound.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I’ll take the Trojans 34-32

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:52 am I’ll take the Trojans 34-32
Sounds possible, I'll take any win I can get.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

CDP 42
PHS 28

Return to “Football”