Wheelersburg “transfers” over the years in football!!

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg “transfers” over the years in football!!

Post by Chilli_Dawg_614 »

Ed Gennero wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:39 pm Both have had plenty of transfers. I wish we could drop it
Yup. It's normal.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

TigerBob wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:09 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:34 pm Can someone from Ironton answer this. 2019 season, does Ironton have the same season without the two players from Raceland, the two I believe from Ashland and the kicker from West???

I seriously doubt it.

No one from Burg has ever disputed that there have been transfers come to Burg. Not one time have I read on here an Ironton follower admit that they have.
If Ironton had less good players, they would have been worse.

Can we drop it now?

This is the just the oddest conversation. I don't get the premise of it being abnormal. Since when?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I’m not understanding all the talk about the CB number of Burg being and I quote, “one of the highest in the state” unquote, when Burg’s CB number being high hasn’t affected one thing for Burg.

At worst, Burg might have been DVI a few of the years since they started the CB. I don’t know what the beef is.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

allamericanironman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:59 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:40 pm
allamericanironman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 pm The best was when they don’t hire a band director or canceled band when CB came about to stay d5! Other means to an end besides transfers SAVAGE. Then hire the worst band director you can find to run off the worthless burg bandies.
The football or any sports CB numbers are only calculated for that particular team’s roster of players. Band members do not effect sports teams’ CB number.
Divisions are based on number of boys in school. When you have boys transfer out to do band elsewhere let’s say PHS or West you end up with a lower Number of boys.
So we find out we are going to be moved to div 4 with our new CB so the solution is to get rid of boys from band. Does this help explain things?
Yes, Divisions are based on number of boys in school. But what I said about CB numbers is true.

At the time when that particular band director was hired, the previous band director left for another job with only about 5-6 weeks before the start of the season/school. The board scrambled to find another director and also decided to go in a different direction with the band. With that new director, they decided to go to a performance band instead of a competition band. This was due to that fact that the halftime shows from the previous director were the same every week. The performances became stale and the board were receiving several complaints. This was during the State Championship season when this occurred. They finally performed the show they used at competitions during halftime of the State game in Canton and it was fabulous. So the board was hoping to catch some of that same magic with the new director who was newly graduated from college(OU I think) and sold them on the idea the halftime shows would be like the one in Canton. Unfortunately, he did not mesh well with the band members or community and was not renewed at the end of that school year. The director they have now has done a fabulous job so far.

In saying all of this, do you honestly think that the school board would do what you claimed to stay DV? When all those events occurred. Wheelersburg was not moving to DIV even with the CB number added to their enrollment. Even if we were, we would have moved up and competed. Just like we do every year. Does this help explain things? Have a good day.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:42 pm I’m not understanding all the talk about the CB number of Burg being and I quote, “one of the highest in the state” unquote, when Burg’s CB number being high hasn’t affected one thing for Burg.

At worst, Burg might have been DVI a few of the years since they started the CB. I don’t know what the beef is.
Let me break it down as simple as I can for you. If at that point you fail to understand I don’t know what to say. HIGHER CB number = higher out of district students regardless of it effects divisions that’s the reality.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

BobcatFuture1 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:05 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:42 pm I’m not understanding all the talk about the CB number of Burg being and I quote, “one of the highest in the state” unquote, when Burg’s CB number being high hasn’t affected one thing for Burg.

Let me break it down as simple as I can for you. If at that point you fail to understand I don’t know what to say. HIGHER CB number = higher out of district students regardless of it effects divisions that’s the reality.
So essentialy Burgs elevated out of district enrollment is not impacting the football program as much as the burg fan base ideally desires, and Ironton has made themselves more attractive to kids who play ball but desire an opportunity to play on a bigger stage, and that makes Burg fans feel a way?
Is that basically it?

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Because if that's what it comes down to we all know this is reality and isn't going to change so the competition has just stepped up. You have to win on the field and be a more attractive destination. It's that or give up. Go do something else. Whining about what ya don't like isn't gonna change it. Kids are ambitous. Self interested and they don't LOVE your hometowns and schools as much as your personal nostalgia would lead you to believe. The world isn't closed off like it was back in 1987 or whatever when you were coming up. They know there is better out there. These kids love opportunity.
Also, family structures are much different now. More single parents. More kids live w extended family. Etc etc.
None of this is new or going to change. What has happened is the game has changed as life has and you forgot to notice. It's too late to even make a big deal about. Where have you been?

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

You know why you market & promote a program? To make it an attractive destination.

Oh no!!! GASP 😱 👉 REAL LIFE!!

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/practical ... c-program/

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:42 am Just going to try and remember some of these so called “stud” or “impact” transfers Burg had had over the years. I’ll try to name as many as I can.

Josh Mayhew-Senior-came from Minford. Played LB for Burg. Did he make a difference that year?? Don’t think so. Burg did make it I think to the Regional finals but lost to Germantown Valley View. Believe they would have made it that far without him.

Tanner Wilson-Senior-came from Ironton. Played TE and LB I think. Was he a difference maker?? I don’t think so. Burg lost in the Regional Final that year.

Cole Lowery-Junior-came from Portsmouth same year as Wilson. Was he a difference maker? Probably not his Junior year. Played on the state championship team for Burg his Senior year. Played a key role that year but does Burg win state without him?? I think they do!!

Can’t think of any others over the years. I’m sure other people might have some but I’ve been watching Burg football for over 45 years and just can’t seem to ever remember any other players or more than two players coming in the same year. (Happened once that I can remember)
Yabba -

You are entitled to say what you want and have your thoughts on all of this. That is fine. But to say these kids were not impact players is just a crock.

Josh Mayhew was all state.

Lowery was a huge piece of the 2017 team. He had to be near 1000 yards receiving and if memory serves he had a big interception against Madison.

Hell Wilson was one of the tackle leaders his year at Wheelersburg and that team won a regional championship.

Like I said, feel free to say Burg hasn't benefited from transfers, but downplaying the impact those kids had is a total joke.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:20 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:42 am Just going to try and remember some of these so called “stud” or “impact” transfers Burg had had over the years. I’ll try to name as many as I can.

Josh Mayhew-Senior-came from Minford. Played LB for Burg. Did he make a difference that year?? Don’t think so. Burg did make it I think to the Regional finals but lost to Germantown Valley View. Believe they would have made it that far without him.

Tanner Wilson-Senior-came from Ironton. Played TE and LB I think. Was he a difference maker?? I don’t think so. Burg lost in the Regional Final that year.

Cole Lowery-Junior-came from Portsmouth same year as Wilson. Was he a difference maker? Probably not his Junior year. Played on the state championship team for Burg his Senior year. Played a key role that year but does Burg win state without him?? I think they do!!

Can’t think of any others over the years. I’m sure other people might have some but I’ve been watching Burg football for over 45 years and just can’t seem to ever remember any other players or more than two players coming in the same year. (Happened once that I can remember)
Yabba -

You are entitled to say what you want and have your thoughts on all of this. That is fine. But to say these kids were not impact players is just a crock.

Lowery was a huge piece of the 2017 team. He had to be near 1000 yards receiving and if memory serves he had a big interception against Madison.

Hell Wilson was one of the tackle leaders his year at Wheelersburg and that team won a regional championship.

Like I said, feel free to say Burg hasn't benefited from transfers, but downplaying the impact those kids had is a total joke.
I agree. I’ve always said that burg and ironton have benefited from transfers in the past however The number has increased at ironton. Whether it’s on the up and up or not, I’d like to hear some ironton fans acknowledge it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:40 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:20 am

Yabba -

I agree. I’ve always said that burg and ironton have benefited from transfers in the past however The number has increased at ironton. Whether it’s on the up and up or not, I’d like to hear some ironton fans acknowledge it.
UGH, I hate to get into the transfer discussion but from time to time I just sort of have to chime in. The fact that ANY team/fan/parent/coach would deny any impact of a transfer or transfer coming in is just someone trying to sweep it under the rug because their team got this guy or that. Transfers are talked about BECAUSE of their impact however big or small would anyone be discussing or care about someone that transferred that was a backup player?? Absolutely not, does Burg get transfers 100% but I've always said with their location to South Webster, East and Green there's many reasons parents would send their kids to Burg. Same can be said about teams that lose them, why do you get mad at them leaving if it wasn't a big deal for ya. Transfers are a thing of the past, present and definitely the future and I don't have any problem with them transferring does it such sure it does. However these are kids and I keep that in mind they have such a small window to play let them enjoy it, if a young man is tired of spending his last 2-3 years getting beat on and finishing .500 wants a shot at winning why not?? I think the biggest issue most probably have with it is that there's some red flags coming out of Ironton that from the outside looking in people are saying are they getting transfers or recruits and there's a difference. The difference doesn't fall on the athlete as either way he turns into a transfer but the coaches some think are "recruiting".

To the Burg faithful on here owning it, hats off to you its seemed over the years you've sort of fought it or denied it but owning it is best and I for one don't hold it against the program or the kid coming in. For the Ironton faithful you can't see the difference in pre-Pendleton and post-Pendleton in the athletes that are coming you, you're simply in denial with your head in the sand. I know you had some rough years and now things are going great but own it, you've 100% benefited from it. With the team improving year in and year out it'll be like this and that's just something we all have to accept until Pendleton decides it's time to move onward and upward.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:19 am

So essentialy Burgs elevated out of district enrollment is not impacting the football program as much as the burg fan base ideally desires, and Ironton has made themselves more attractive to kids who play ball but desire an opportunity to play on a bigger stage, and that makes Burg fans feel a way?
Is that basically it?
Ding.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

BobcatFuture1 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:07 am

So essentially Burg's elevated out of district enrollment is not impacting the football program as much as the burg fan base ideally desires, and Ironton has made themselves more attractive to kids who play ball but desire an opportunity to play on a bigger stage, and that makes Burg fans feel a way?
Is that basically it?
Ding.
Add Cowgill, Miller, Robertson, Adkins, and Hutchinson to that list.

I agree the state put the CB in for a reason and burg fans can try and justify for whatever reason they want. My favorite is," B/c W'burg is doing it, it makes it different, it just does." All they're doing is throwing stones at Ironton when they've lived in a glass house for years.

Ironton's HC Pendleton has the desired connections to the D1 NCAA schools. kids know this and they want to play for him. It's that simple: These kids want to play for a winning program and a coach that can possibly get them to the next level. Ironton is just better at the transfer game than burg but they've also been playing it for years.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

vladimir wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:36 am

So essentially Burg's elevated out of district enrollment is not impacting the football program as much as the burg fan base ideally desires, and Ironton has made themselves more attractive to kids who play ball but desire an opportunity to play on a bigger stage, and that makes Burg fans feel a way?
Is that basically it?
Ding.

I agree the state put the CB in for a reason and burg fans can try and justify for whatever reason they want. My favorite is," B/c W'burg is doing it, it makes it different, it just does." All they're doing is throwing stones at Ironton when they've lived in a glass house for years.

Ironton's HC Pendleton has the desired connections to the D1 NCAA schools. kids know this and they want to play for him. It's that simple: These kids want to play for a winning program and a coach that can possibly get them to the next level. Ironton is just better at the transfer game than burg but they've also been playing it for years.
Heath Caudill as well. Transfers are transfers. Role players are just as important as impact players.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly, every school gets them, every school loses them. Usually kids transfer within the county. So when kids start transferring county's and states even, that's when eye brows are raised. I just wonder if Pendleton isn't at Ironton the last few years, do kids that transferred there still end up there? maybe? maybe not?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Oh look another topic on transfers to Burg & Ironton, yay. As if the 39 different topics since January on the same mater wasn’t enough. All schools get transfers, it happens. Certain schools get more because of winning, coaches, other players. It’s 2021, not 1994. You guys need to suck it the eff up and adjust to the times. I’d be thrilled for Portsmouth to get half the transfers as these 2 schools. Hell this year they had 2 transfer in on the football team and I’m elated. At this point you’re just beating a dead horse. It’s only going to go up from here. It’s not cheating, if it was illegal they’d have been flagged for it. We all know there’s work arounds. Look what happened in Georgia last fall. Jake Garcia (now at Miami Fl) moved from California to Georgia. His parents got a divorce, he played a game then was rule ineligible. Ghsaa caught on to what happened. Well he moved school in Georgia again mid season, won a championship and that was that. So I’m sure if the ohsaa wanted to, they could do the same. Hasn’t really happened yet, so it must not be known or super illegal. Either way it’s becoming more common and it’s time to adjust and quit making 16890 different threads on it.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Burg is a great program and has had an incredible run the past years. That 2017 state champion team was one of the greatest teams I’ve seen play around southeastern Ohio. But I’m confused why this is even a discussion? I mean does anybody really care? With all due respect burg is an average football team this year. I don’t think any teams on burg’s schedule are worried about any transfers they have

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Is that basically it?
Ding.
Thanks. That was pretty easy.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 am Oh look another topic on transfers to Burg & Ironton, yay. As if the 39 different topics since January on the same mater wasn’t enough. All schools get transfers, it happens. Certain schools get more because of winning, coaches, other players. It’s 2021, not 1994. You guys need to suck it the eff up and adjust to the times. I’d be thrilled for Portsmouth to get half the transfers as these 2 schools. Hell this year they had 2 transfer in on the football team and I’m elated. At this point you’re just beating a dead horse. It’s only going to go up from here. It’s not cheating, if it was illegal they’d have been flagged for it. We all know there’s work arounds. Look what happened in Georgia last fall. Jake Garcia (now at Miami Fl) moved from California to Georgia. His parents got a divorce, he played a game then was rule ineligible. Ghsaa caught on to what happened. Well he moved school in Georgia again mid season, won a championship and that was that. So I’m sure if the ohsaa wanted to, they could do the same. Hasn’t really happened yet, so it must not be known or super illegal. Either way it’s becoming more common and it’s time to adjust and quit making 16890 different threads on it.
It's 2021 not 1994 = PREACH!!! 🗣

Nothing more cringe or out of touch than these old heads.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

vladimir wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:36 am

Is that basically it?
Ding.

Pendleton being so young and closely removed from D1 college ball/lifestyle gives him a cutting edge understanding of everything from development to recruiting/promotion/to lifestyle.

Burgs staff is older, and aging & becoming a bit antiquated in comparison.

Return to “Football”