is SEO football turning into a powerhouse?

artisgilmore
Varsity

is SEO football turning into a powerhouse?

Post by artisgilmore »

Portsmouth,Wheelersburg,Jackson,Fairland,all impressive.Thought Ironton wasn’t playing well,but now I’m not so sure.

TigerBob
All Conference

Re: is SEO football turning into a powerhouse?

Post by TigerBob »

I am going to go with no.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

artisgilmore wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:02 pm Portsmouth,Wheelersburg,Jackson,Fairland,all impressive.Thought Ironton wasn’t playing well,but now I’m not so sure.
Cant forget about Waverly lately and West is on the rise. West lost bad to Portsmouth but there were so many turnovers that game doesnt represent what theyre capable of

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Waverly is in the running for best in SEO right now.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
efarns
S

Post by efarns »

You mention Fairland, and they are good. In 2020, Fort Frye beat them by 40. It's a new year and all that, but a courtesy mention for our kids once in awhile would be an acceptable thing.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

NO.

Bdog_198807
Varsity

Post by Bdog_198807 »

I would say no if anything they are down this year. Wheelersburg is down. Ironton is down from where they have been recently. I think Waverly may be the exception. Not alot of great teams this year in my opinion. Wheelersburg, Jackson, Ironton even Fairland are good but not great.

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

I think the answer to this question is most definitely no, however, does SEO football have the potential to become a powerhouse in the future? MAYBE. It all comes down to the culture, you can see in teams like ironton and fort frye, they have the whole community behind them! They have built their programs up over the years and are now just getting to the point of where they can compete at the state level. You can see this in fairland and other similar teams as well, they are beginning to pick up on this. When your team IS ironton or fort frye, EVERYONE wants to play football there! This gives more chance to get good athletes at the school and ultimately helps the programs build over time. I’d like to hear what people think about this take on football, culture matters most!

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I wish it were but no it’s not. No one really played a big name in their non league games. The measuring stick will really be decided in the post season when we are playing teams in our neck of the woods.

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Never was and never will be a powerhouse. There may be instances of great teams popping up but they will never ever be able to claim powerhouse as a region on a state level.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Post by Chilli_Dawg_614 »

😂😂😂

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Quality wins for SEO against non-SEO:

Tri-Valley
St. Henry
possibly Deer Park (really depends if they can do better in the Cincinnati Hills League than they have in recent years)
Miami Trace (if we don't count Miami Trace as SEO?)

The main problem with this question is SEO has not done well against non-SEO teams through three weeks, particularly against non-SEO teams that are good.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Bdog_198807 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:52 pm I would say no if anything they are down this year. Wheelersburg is down. Ironton is down from where they have been recently. I think Waverly may be the exception. Not alot of great teams this year in my opinion. Wheelersburg, Jackson, Ironton even Fairland are good but not great.
Agree with this assessment, especially with regards to Burg and Ironton.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

From afar, and with a 60 year perspective of observing 740 football, the answer is an emphatic no to the question of "is SEO becoming a football powerhouse?"

The main missing ingredients are speed, numbers (quality depth), and historical program support and consistency.

Wheelersburg and Ironton are the only two schools that meet the criteria listed above. They have won state championships and frequently make deep playoff runs, they are indeed powerhouses.

Schools maybe on the verge of powerhouse status are Trimble and Fort Frye. Other schools have had or are having glory moments but have not met the standard of consistency.

Overall, SEO football is getting better. Better coaching, better player development, and better facilities. Long gone are the days of high school football being only a twelve week a year sport that it was in most schools back in the 50's and 60's.

A better question might be is the quality of football in the rest of the state declining?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

wait until the end of the season and see how many teams from Southeastern Ohio make the final four.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Nope, not a power but some very good football teams.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

We are getting better every year !

Joe Burrow
Treylan Davis
Wheelersburg 15-0 state champs
Ironton back to back state runners up
Trimble
Fort Frye
Jackson
Waverly
And the rest of SEO is at least getting acknowledged

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

There’s been some great teams that have stood out over the years. Just off the top of my head Athens in 2014, Burg’s championship team in 2017, Ironton’s state championship appearing teams the last couple years. There’s been some more those are just the ones I think off the top of my head. But I don’t believe SEO football as a whole will ever really be a powerhouse. Don’t get me wrong though there’s been some great players and teams come out of SEO but to be a powerhouse as a whole seems pretty tough. It’s still pretty good football for the most part and I have a lot of fun watching it

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

gobucs20 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:06 pm wait until the end of the season and see how many teams from Southeastern Ohio make the final four.
None!

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

GalliaTribe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:06 pm wait until the end of the season and see how many teams from Southeastern Ohio make the final four.
None!
I'll take that bet

Return to “Football”