Week 4 Jackson @ Western Brown

allamericanironman
All Conference

Re: Week 4 Jackson @ Western Brown

Post by allamericanironman »

Ironmen34 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 pm
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:48 pm Wow. Really shocked by this score. Jackson fans take pride in their physicality and ability to out hit other teams. But a smooth spread offense makes that hard for your defense to square em up. Didn't get to see it but did Jackson's ground and pound work? I thought after Ironton they would manhandle everyone else.
Jackson’s defense is aggressive and does very well against stopping the run. Anytime they play a team that likes to spread it out and get athletic on the outside it’s like it almost equals out with our physicality. On offense it seems like we get away from our bread and butter which if pounding the football. And against a team like western brown that’s exactly what you should do. Sometimes we like to get a little too fancy on offense in my opinion. But with all that being said nothing is gonna work if you turn the ball over multiple times and have penalties in big moments
Man you read my mind. Our offensive scheme was very odd tonight. Very rarely do I question play calling but tonight was rather odd. I know the turnovers were the reason for the loss but there seemed to be a lack of adjustments on the offensive side of the ball. That 3rd and 11 after the false start at the end why go down field there we still had two downs to get the first. Running a screen or a drawl makes sense to me or even a play action if your gonna throw it. Heck run it. Where was the unbalanced line? There was no real rhythm and it seemed very soft at times. Burg will be licking their chops after watching this film. Again 4 turn overs 3 of which were in the red zone that crap makes me want to vomit. I hope the guys are so dang angry they come out and run Through burg.

Defensively I will give those guys a break because holding WB to 33 points is a win in my book. There was several plays where we get lazy and don’t continue coverage or pull up to defend the qB scramble. That kid reminded me of the Conrad twins from Logan. But still as great as they played we still had a chance to win.

This week is over onto the next. We can hope for a redo in the playoffs vs WB.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:46 pm
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:48 pm Wow. Really shocked by this score. Jackson fans take pride in their physicality and ability to out hit other teams. But a smooth spread offense makes that hard for your defense to square em up. Didn't get to see it but did Jackson's ground and pound work? I thought after Ironton they would manhandle everyone else.
Jackson’s defense is aggressive and does very well against stopping the run. Anytime they play a team that likes to spread it out and get athletic on the outside it’s like it almost equals out with our physicality. On offense it seems like we get away from our bread and butter which if pounding the football. And against a team like western brown that’s exactly what you should do. Sometimes we like to get a little too fancy on offense in my opinion. But with all that being said nothing is gonna work if you turn the ball over multiple times and have penalties in big moments
Man you read my mind. Our offensive scheme was very odd tonight. Very rarely do I question play calling but tonight was rather odd. I know the turnovers were the reason for the loss but there seemed to be a lack of adjustments on the offensive side of the ball. That 3rd and 11 after the false start at the end why go down field there we still had two downs to get the first. Running a screen or a drawl makes sense to me or even a play action if your gonna throw it. Heck run it. Where was the unbalanced line? There was no real rhythm and it seemed very soft at times. Burg will be licking their chops after watching this film. Again 4 turn overs 3 of which were in the red zone that crap makes me want to vomit. I hope the guys are so dang angry they come out and run Through burg.

Defensively I will give those guys a break because holding WB to 33 points is a win in my book. There was several plays where we get lazy and don’t continue coverage or pull up to defend the qB scramble. That kid reminded me of the Conrad twins from Logan. But still as great as they played we still had a chance to win.

I agree that holding western brown to 33 isn’t too bad. But I would’ve predicted we put up about 40 on their defense but it just didn’t happen. And I honestly didn’t really pay attention to much of the play calling on offense just the turnovers and penalties stood out mostly. But I know we didn’t run the ball down their throat like we have done to teams in the past. As aggressive as we can be on defense I’m not sure why we can’t be the same way on offense. I don’t know if you remember much of the 2019 team but it seemed like they were having the same problems early on. Great defense but the first 3 weeks they were trying to spread the ball out on offense and got away from the run. Then around week 4 or 5 they started going unbalanced and running powers, counters, and isos, and just started beating teams down. I saw glimpses of it in the second half vs ironton. It would be great to have another shot at these guys I think we clean things up and it’s a different outcome. Next week won’t be easy either though. I guarantee burg doesn’t lay down for us

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Ironmen34 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 pm

I agree that holding western brown to 33 isn’t too bad. But I would’ve predicted we put up about 40 on their defense but it just didn’t happen. And I honestly didn’t really pay attention to much of the play calling on offense just the turnovers and penalties stood out mostly. But I know we didn’t run the ball down their throat like we have done to teams in the past. As aggressive as we can be on defense I’m not sure why we can’t be the same way on offense. I don’t know if you remember much of the 2019 team but it seemed like they were having the same problems early on. Great defense but the first 3 weeks they were trying to spread the ball out on offense and got away from the run. Then around week 4 or 5 they started going unbalanced and running powers, counters, and isos, and just started beating teams down. I saw glimpses of it in the second half vs ironton. It would be great to have another shot at these guys I think we clean things up and it’s a different outcome. Next week won’t be easy either though. I guarantee burg doesn’t lay down for us

That’s not how football is played now days.

allamericanironman
All Conference

I remember 2019 very well when you have an all world blocking TE in Davis I would have utilized the unbalanced line as my base offensive set get the mismatches see if they adjust and then go over the top to him you have to use your strengths or what else good does it do. Burg did a great job with Holden for an example in years past. Don’t get me wrong we used Davis but not to the extent that we were capable of. I’d like to see Bragg or prater used to this extent with the unbalanced attack. There are several options out of these sets that don’t involve pounding the football. we ran them in college even though we were primarily a spread offense. It worked then no reason it won’t work now the ironton game was proof of that.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:37 pm

I remember 2019 very well when you have an all world blocking TE in Davis I would have utilized the unbalanced line as my base offensive set get the mismatches see if they adjust and then go over the top to him you have to use your strengths or what else good does it do. Burg did a great job with Holden for an example in years past. Don’t get me wrong we used Davis but not to the extent that we were capable of. I’d like to see Bragg or prater used to this extent with the unbalanced attack. There are several options out of these sets that don’t involve pounding the football. we ran them in college even though we were primarily a spread offense. It worked then no reason it won’t work now the ironton game was proof of that.
Smash mouth football takes strength and a certain mentality. That’s not cool anymore .

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:23 pm

A lot of teams have gotten away from the power run game in recent times and I’m not too sure why. It takes a lot of work and a certain kind of mentality to say I’m gonna line up and physically run the football down your throat over and over all game long so try and stop it. And that kind of playing style isn’t gonna get you on espn’s top 10 plays of the week. Maybe those might be some reasons teams don’t do it. Now I agree it’s crucial to be able to throw the ball and have a balanced offense especially in the playoffs. Trying to run the ball right at people in week 12, week 13 and having nothing to counter that isn’t gonna work. I just think Jackson’s at their best when they hit you with a bunch of powers and counters for about 5 yards a pop and then when you’re thinking run they play action pass for about 15 yards. That’s how you create rhythm and keep defenses on their toes

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:44 pm
Smash mouth football takes strength and a certain mentality. That’s not cool anymore .
What’s really not cool is losing to teams you should beat

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

I think I get what you’re saying. I just think if you set the tone running the ball early and often it opens up all kinds of play actions and deep downfield threats with your athletes on the outside. What do I know though I’m not the coach lol

allamericanironman
All Conference

When #7 is fully healthy I don’t see a defense that we play that can stop it. BTW it is still utilized you might have to look a little to find it Hilliard Davidson won a d1 state championship using it.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:52 pm

When #7 is fully healthy I don’t see a defense that we play that can stop it. BTW it is still utilized you might have to look a little to find it Hilliard Davidson won a d1 state championship using it.

Not sure Jackson has the personnel for that type of football

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 pm
allamericanironman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:52 pm

Not sure Jackson has the personnel for that type of football
Running the ball is a mindset more than anything else. It’s a lot like defense. You have to have the will and ferocity to do it and most times you’re gonna break teams late in the game and take over. Now if Jackson had a joe burrow and those two twins that went on to play at Ohio university and a trae Williams that played for northwestern from that 2014 Athens team, I would say spread it out and let it fly. But that’s just not the case

Grizzly&Gatorade
Waterboy

Post by Grizzly&Gatorade »

We're looking at another average season for the Ironmen and a 2nd round knock-out in the playoffs. We don't know how to use our athletes.

"Alright boys... Let's show em how tuff we are! Line up in dat dare power-I and give it to 'em." I'm so tired of watching us grind these games out when we CAN and SHOULD blow the doors off teams.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Grizzly&Gatorade wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 am We're looking at another average season for the Ironmen and a 2nd round knock-out in the playoffs. We don't know how to use our athletes.

"Alright boys... Let's show em how tuff we are! Line up in dat dare power-I and give it to 'em." I'm so tired of watching us grind these games out when we CAN and SHOULD blow the doors off teams.
What would you suggest we do offensively?

allamericanironman
All Conference

I’d like to see a do over. minus the turn overs and say we only score twice that’s a 42-33 ballgame. Both losses we were not outplayed sometimes you learn more from losses. That was a good ball team and they are gonna win lots more games. Next week will be the tale of the tape. There is nothing hurt yet it would have been nice to have a home game for the playoffs but if WB wins out and we do too the possibility we go back down to mt Orab might just happen. I think we would be just fine with that. Another possibility would be going up to tri valley. This might all work out for the better. Sure a win would have been nice but it might be a blessing in disguise. You math guys will get a better picture after next week to run some numbers and see.

This team is still capable of making a run. We get 7 healthy and hold on to the football we might just get a regional title. The pressure is on for next week it’s almost a must win and should be treated as such. This is why coach has improved the schedule these are the games that will pay dividends come week 12 and 13 to push us over that hump and the elusive region 11 title.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Grizzly&Gatorade wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 am We're looking at another average season for the Ironmen and a 2nd round knock-out in the playoffs. We don't know how to use our athletes.

I’d do whatever works. There is a chance you might just get the changes you want this week. I’m assuming put 7 at qb1 and leave him there. It’s hard to come in cold and be accurate however he was 7 out of 10 passing at one point. 15 is a gammer and will run the ball hard as well at RB/FB/HB. I’m just not sure 7 is 100% yet. We all know 7 has a cannon for an arm and he might just be strong enough now to throw 30 to 40 times a game. I agree we have not tapped our full potential on offense but there are REASONS for this and health I’m sure has been the limiting factor. I just thank god for football and MattAsh for this site. It’s going to be fun watching this team mold into what they are capable of.

Grizzly&Gatorade
Waterboy

Post by Grizzly&Gatorade »

Ironmen34 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:13 am

I like allamerican's thoughts. I can't remember a team being successful running two QBs. If we commit to #7 (doubtful because Hall favors his senior QBs) the concepts will have to be re-worked. We ran the same route combination 3 times in a row on our final drive, and it lead to the INT that sealed it for the Broncos.

#15 would be perfect at the RB spot. He proved he deserves just as many touches tonight with his down-hill running style. Kid is an absolute gamer!

Spires to bang it between the tackles, Wolford for anything outside the tackles (He can FLYYYY), Prater on the outside, #20 in the slot, #5 (if he does a better job of seeing the ball into his hands), and even Wood - he looked good tonight at times.

Like I said, we have so many athletes to do whatever/whenever. There is MOST DEFINITELY a time to line up and punch someone in the mouth, but for it to be our game plan every week is hurting my soul. Ironton should have been a blood bath, but we did what every school in Southeast Ohio does when they play them.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Grizzly&Gatorade wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:58 am

I like allamerican's thoughts. I can't remember a team being successful running two QBs. If we commit to #7 (doubtful because Hall favors his senior QBs) the concepts will have to be re-worked. We ran the same route combination 3 times in a row on our final drive, and it lead to the INT that sealed it for the Broncos.

#15 would be perfect at the RB spot. He proved he deserves just as many touches tonight with his down-hill running style. Kid is an absolute gamer!

Spires to bang it between the tackles, Wolford for anything outside the tackles (He can FLYYYY), Prater on the outside, #20 in the slot, #5 (if he does a better job of seeing the ball into his hands), and even Wood - he looked good tonight at times.

Like I said, we have so many athletes to do whatever/whenever. There is MOST DEFINITELY a time to line up and punch someone in the mouth, but for it to be our game plan every week is hurting my soul. Ironton should have been a blood bath, but we did what every school in Southeast Ohio does when they play them.
Look I agree we have great athletes. But if we are being honest, I don’t believe we have athletes that can do whatever/whenever.. I just don’t. They are great kids and great players but we don’t have any athletes that can will you to win a game. The only time we were close to that was when we lined up and pounded the ball at ironton in the second half with winters. He took over the game in the second half with his tough running. I’ve never watched a Jackson game where we spaced a team out and just killed them with our speed and quickness. We have tried it and it doesn’t work. And we always go back to what we do best. I don’t get why being a power run first team is such a bad thing? What hurts my soul is losing to western brown. At the end of the day I just want to win. I don’t care how we do it. But this conception that we have all these once in a lifetime athletes, in my opinion, just isn’t true. Great players that can help you win games? Absolutely

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Ironmen34 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:27 am
Grizzly&Gatorade wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:58 am

Look I agree we have great athletes. But if we are being honest, I don’t believe we have athletes that can do whatever/whenever.. I just don’t. They are great kids and great players but we don’t have any athletes that can will you to win a game. The only time we were close to that was when we lined up and pounded the ball at ironton in the second half with winters. He took over the game in the second half with his tough running. I’ve never watched a Jackson game where we spaced a team out and just killed them with our speed and quickness. We have tried it and it doesn’t work. And we always go back to what we do best. I don’t get why being a power run first team is such a bad thing? What hurts my soul is losing to western brown. At the end of the day I just want to win. I don’t care how we do it. But this conception that we have all these once in a lifetime athletes, in my opinion, just isn’t true. Great players that can help you win games? Absolutely
The only players I remember in recent times that were just absolute game changers were Austin Osborne and probably Blake McCoy. When you watched them you knew if they got their touches and got out in space with the ball, they could take it all the way to the house and change the game. Do you want think we have kids like that on this team? I would argue maybe two. And they aren’t like these guys.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Football is an amazing sport, top of the mountain one week, down in the valley the next. Maybe Jackson just isn't as good right now as people thought they would be. I know after Ironton they were not expecting another loss this year in the regular season. But at some point, coaching, player development, scheme, if your as good as you say you are or as good as you think you are, you just find a way to win, pretty or not.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Don’t give up on these boys yet…..

Lots of talk of how bad Jackson is now and NOT ONCE has someone said that western brown is a pretty good football team.
Western Brown is DIII Region 11 football. And they are coming. All they do is keep getting the program better. And they starting to have a tradition rich history of QBs that can flat play the game of football.

I agree it hurts to the soul to loose to western brown. The Ironton battle was tough but this one hurts more.

Whatever the answer is I’m sure our staff will put the effort in to keep us in games we should win. And there hasn’t been a game yet that we couldn’t or shouldn’t have won.

So my suggest before you reInvent the wheel….how bout doing this boys……👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
👇👇👇👇👇👇
FINISH THE JOB !!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”