Unioto @ Huntington Week 4

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Unioto @ Huntington Week 4

Post by mlittle »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:37 am After watching it, I just wonder if Huntington will protest it or send it to OHSAA. I'm not even sure there is anything they can do to reverse it. Does anybody know?
It might not mean that much to some schools, but it probably does for HHS.
Easy for me to say but I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble. That game last night might decide 5th place in the league lol

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Did the officials really call that a touchdown wtf

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:37 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:27 am
Syntax wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:36 pm https://youtu.be/4bMUp1GfOeU?t=7282
I'm sorry but at the 2:01.54 mark just shortly after the kick is blocked it sounds to me that there is a whistle blown. If that's the case wouldn't be the same situation as NW and S. Valley last year, re-kick? It's very obvious the officials were lost on the play and making that call so many minutes later when none of them truly knew what was going on was not the right way to handle it. With that said if it didn't cross the neutral zone the ball is fair game and available for advancement. I do believe a whistle was blown though
I’ve watched 3 vids and still can’t tell if there was a whistle. The officials gathered for some time after and I’m sure they all asked if anyone blew the play dead. Guessing no one did or none of them wanted to admit it lol. Either way this was a total hack job
I think you hit the nail on the head, none of them wanted to admit it because none of them knew what was going on. Listened to it while I was at work with half dozen guys and they all said that's a whistle. In the frenzy of things though and with such a delay no official was going to say they did. However the safest thing would've been to say yes we blew the whistle, inadvertently and re-kick. Since both teams thought they won the game really easiest thing to say from that stand point. Doesn't matter now but that was for sure a whistle.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

True. But you know as well as anyone. Anytime the Huntingtons, Southeasterns, and anyone in the SVC really can beat Unioto it means the world to them. It doesn't matter the U was 0-3, they are still the U. Love the rivalries in the SVC.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:43 am Did the officials really call that a touchdown wtf

Yeah looks like about 10 minutes later, they all stopped watching for all we know that kid picked it up off the sidelines and ran it in. :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Never hire officials that wear shorts :lol:

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

A blocked kick attempt that advances past the line of scrimmage can ONLY be advanced by the defense. A blocked kick behind line of scrimmage is live for both teams. This ball looks right on the line of scrimmage so it's very hard to tell, however the officials look clueless and are not even looking at the play what a botched situation.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

N2Hoops wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:51 am A blocked kick attempt that advances past the line of scrimmage can ONLY be advanced by the defense. A blocked kick behind line of scrimmage is live for both teams. This ball looks right on the line of scrimmage so it's very hard to tell, however the officials look clueless and are not even looking at the play what a botched situation.
That's what I thought. Anyway they can officially protest it?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:45 am
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:43 am Did the officials really call that a touchdown wtf

Yeah looks like about 10 minutes later, they all stopped watching for all we know that kid picked it up off the sidelines and ran it in. :lol:
The kid has the ball on his way to the endzone at the end of this video.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:50 am Never hire officials that wear shorts :lol:
This was ultimate red flag it got pretty chilly last night too and I wore shorts as a spectator

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:44 am True. But you know as well as anyone. Anytime the Huntingtons, Southeasterns, and anyone in the SVC really can beat Unioto it means the world to them. It doesn't matter the U was 0-3, they are still the U. Love the rivalries in the SVC.
Oh I get it. Isaac’s sophomore year when we moved it was after they just made that 4 year run in basketball. Every game we lost that year was wild. Never seen anything like it. I do love high school sports.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:44 am
mlittle wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:37 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:27 am

I'm sorry but at the 2:01.54 mark just shortly after the kick is blocked it sounds to me that there is a whistle blown. If that's the case wouldn't be the same situation as NW and S. Valley last year, re-kick? It's very obvious the officials were lost on the play and making that call so many minutes later when none of them truly knew what was going on was not the right way to handle it. With that said if it didn't cross the neutral zone the ball is fair game and available for advancement. I do believe a whistle was blown though
I’ve watched 3 vids and still can’t tell if there was a whistle. The officials gathered for some time after and I’m sure they all asked if anyone blew the play dead. Guessing no one did or none of them wanted to admit it lol. Either way this was a total hack job
I think you hit the nail on the head, none of them wanted to admit it because none of them knew what was going on. Listened to it while I was at work with half dozen guys and they all said that's a whistle. In the frenzy of things though and with such a delay no official was going to say they did. However the safest thing would've been to say yes we blew the whistle, inadvertently and re-kick. Since both teams thought they won the game really easiest thing to say from that stand point. Doesn't matter now but that was for sure a whistle.
I still don’t think they’ve blown the play dead. Huntington needs to go back to the field this morning and pick the ball up and run it back the other way for a 36-33 victory

jakebiz22
Waterboy

Post by jakebiz22 »

This play is exactly why special teams are so important. It’s why Urban Meyer coached special teams and had his best players on these units. #44 was the only person on the field, including the refs, who knew the rules. I understand the argument that the refs blew the play dead and by rule the play should have been done. I also believe this play would have had happened exactly the way it did if the refs had not blown their whistle and left the ball in play.
Don’t forget that Huntington ran out of bounds on 3rd down that allowed Unioto to keep their last timeout. What happens if they don’t have that timeout?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Whistle or not, the line judge on the far side motions no good to the Head Official as he walks from the sideline to the center of the field. The Head Official then turns to the home press box and signals “no good” and indicating the game is over. Said player can be seen picking up the ball at about the same time. However, it appears the ball may be past the line of scrimmage.
For the officials huddle up 10 minutes later and say the ball never crossed the line of scrimmage is something they have no idea about. They were clueless to where the ball was when he picked it up.

WHAT A MESS!!!

jakebiz22
Waterboy

Post by jakebiz22 »

What is the rule if the ball is blocked at the line, but is in the neutral zone just beyond the line of scrimmage. It appears it is at the line or just beyond it.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I’m just glad Unioto is finally catching some breaks

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

@Kurgan74 Thoughts ?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

jakebiz22 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:19 am What is the rule if the ball is blocked at the line, but is in the neutral zone just beyond the line of scrimmage. It appears it is at the line or just beyond it.
If the kick is blocked and crosses the LOS only the defense can advance it. If it’s behind the LOS either team can advance it.
But both officials with the best look at the ball already called it dead. I don’t think they paid any attention to where the ball was.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:42 am
jakebiz22 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:19 am What is the rule if the ball is blocked at the line, but is in the neutral zone just beyond the line of scrimmage. It appears it is at the line or just beyond it.
If the kick is blocked and crosses the LOS only the defense can advance it. If it’s behind the LOS either team can advance it.
But both officials with the best look at the ball already called it dead. I don’t think they paid any attention to where the ball was.
Seeing where the player picks the ball up it looks really close to the line of scrimmage. Could’ve went either way but like you said, the officials had no clue where the ball ended up. It could’ve been 10 yards beyond and the same result would’ve happened.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

mlittle wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:26 am
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:44 am True. But you know as well as anyone. Anytime the Huntingtons, Southeasterns, and anyone in the SVC really can beat Unioto it means the world to them. It doesn't matter the U was 0-3, they are still the U. Love the rivalries in the SVC.
Oh I get it. Isaac’s sophomore year when we moved it was after they just made that 4 year run in basketball. Every game we lost that year was wild. Never seen anything like it. I do love high school sports.
Just shows how good you are as a program when your everybody else's Super Bowl.

Return to “Football”