Unioto @ Huntington Week 4

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Unioto @ Huntington Week 4

Post by smurray »

joeboggs1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 pm Sounds like things are getting rowdy after the game too. Everyone stay safe!

Pretty sure the rules are, a blocked kicked that never crosses the LOS can be advanced by either team.

Looked to me like Huntington blocked the kick and went to celebrate. Unioto picked up the ball and ran it in. Crazy finish.
The only question I’m hearing is the officials blew their whistles after the block…
The ball absolutely can be returned or advanced but if the officials blew it dead I don’t see why they would allow it to proceed. Would be interesting to watch it back and try to see if any official blew it dead.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Thanks mlittle. Im not posting about this game anymore until tomorrow. 🤣

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Syntax wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 pm Huntington blocks the potential game-tying FG and their sideline and fans rush the field. Meanwhile, the ball sits on the ground and a Unioto player picked it up and walked to the end zone, then turned around and had to scream for the referees attention. He signaled TD while all of Huntington township was on the field. What a wild finish.
So so strange that none of the officials saw him pick it up and score. VERY STRANGE ENDING!

joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

smurray wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:16 pm
joeboggs1 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 pm Sounds like things are getting rowdy after the game too. Everyone stay safe!

Pretty sure the rules are, a blocked kicked that never crosses the LOS can be advanced by either team.

Looked to me like Huntington blocked the kick and went to celebrate. Unioto picked up the ball and ran it in. Crazy finish.
The only question I’m hearing is the officials blew their whistles after the block…
The ball absolutely can be returned or advanced but if the officials blew it dead I don’t see why they would allow it to proceed. Would be interesting to watch it back and try to see if any official blew it dead.
This is a great point. I was just watching on Live stream and couldn’t hear any whistles.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Anybody have that game ending fiasco on video??

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Syntax wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:36 pm https://youtu.be/4bMUp1GfOeU?t=7282
Now that is just bizarre.
Need some more footage of it - from the press box would be great.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

I believe the opposite happened to Unioto
about 6 years or so ago.
And it cost them the game and a
share of the league title or maybe the title
all together.
I’m thinking Payton North blocked the kick but
no Sherman’s covered the ball and
the opposing team scooped up the ball and scored.

I might not have it exactly correct but
a very similar play did cost the tanks here
A few years back.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

I found the game I was talking about:

GAME REPORT Paint Valley vs Unioto

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:27 am

Unioto entered this game 3-0, while the Bearcats came in with a mark of, 1-2.
………………. …………………….
“McFadden would have his field goal attempt blocked by North(Again this is the player I believe was given credit for the block) as the Sherman Tanks celebrated the play the NEWARKCATHOLICFAN PLAYER OF THE GAME Teagan McFadden picked the ball up and took it all the way to the house. He would also convert a two-point run to put the Bearcats up,22-14, with 3:05 left on the clock.”

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

This was crazy.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Shortly after the blocked kick, a whistle can be heard. Dead ball.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I'm sorry but at the 2:01.54 mark just shortly after the kick is blocked it sounds to me that there is a whistle blown. If that's the case wouldn't be the same situation as NW and S. Valley last year, re-kick? It's very obvious the officials were lost on the play and making that call so many minutes later when none of them truly knew what was going on was not the right way to handle it. With that said if it didn't cross the neutral zone the ball is fair game and available for advancement. I do believe a whistle was blown though

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Unioto shoulda hired Netter….
What a game.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Goodness what a mess. I hear a whistle too and if I’m Unioto that was the band director’s whistle.

Tough way to learn a lesson.

Be the 1 of 22.

1 kid knew the rule.

I wonder how he knew when everyone else didn’t? Son of a coach? Son of a referee? Was bored one night and read “little known rules of Ohio High School Football”?

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

What an exciting Game!! Crazy way to score the game winning touchdown but it’s football!! Crazy things happen!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am Goodness what a mess. I hear a whistle too and if I’m Unioto that was the band director’s whistle.

Be the 1 of 22.

1 kid knew the rule.

I wonder how he knew when everyone else didn’t? Son of a coach? Son of a referee? Was bored one night and read “little known rules of Ohio High School Football”?
Unioto finally catches a break

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am Goodness what a mess. I hear a whistle too and if I’m Unioto that was the band director’s whistle.

Be the 1 of 22.

1 kid knew the rule.

Kids dad is on the coaching staff I believe

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

There was a whistle. I just listen and watch the posted link and so did my friend and PAFOOTBALLNEWS photographer Jason.
Sad that this happened to another team.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:27 am
I'm sorry but at the 2:01.54 mark just shortly after the kick is blocked it sounds to me that there is a whistle blown. If that's the case wouldn't be the same situation as NW and S. Valley last year, re-kick? It's very obvious the officials were lost on the play and making that call so many minutes later when none of them truly knew what was going on was not the right way to handle it. With that said if it didn't cross the neutral zone the ball is fair game and available for advancement. I do believe a whistle was blown though
I’ve watched 3 vids and still can’t tell if there was a whistle. The officials gathered for some time after and I’m sure they all asked if anyone blew the play dead. Guessing no one did or none of them wanted to admit it lol. Either way this was a total hack job
Last edited by mlittle on Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

After watching it, I just wonder if Huntington will protest it or send it to OHSAA. I'm not even sure there is anything they can do to reverse it. Does anybody know?
It might not mean that much to some schools, but it probably does for HHS.

Return to “Football”