Week 4: Northwest at Oakhill

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Week 4: Northwest at Oakhill

Post by VetteMan »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:44 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:10 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:21 pm Wow, Northwest might be in for a long year after starting off strong
Yeah they got hit with some major injuries in week 2.
Counted 32 dressed lastnight and lost 2 more.
I think a lot of schools have pretty low numbers this year. Oak Hills roster showed 35 players, 9 of those were freshman. I watched a replay of part of the game on YouTube. At least a couple of OH players were on crutches on the sideline. A father of one of the freshman told me that the starting tailback started the year as the starting split end, and that the staring fullback was the starting tight end.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:11 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:10 am

Yeah they got hit with some major injuries in week 2.
I think a lot of schools have pretty low numbers this year. Oak Hills roster showed 35 players, 9 of those were freshman. I watched a replay of part of the game on YouTube. At least a couple of OH players were on crutches on the sideline. A father of one of the freshman told me that the starting tailback started the year as the starting split end, and that the staring fullback was the starting tight end.
We started with 48. We have kids playing positions they have never played before. I've watch the game on hudl and several times Northwest had 4 freshman on the field. 7 starters out with several backups out also. I think 4 of the kids are 3 or 4 year starters.
They have really been hit hard.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:59 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:44 am Counted 32 dressed lastnight and lost 2 more.
We started with 48. We have kids playing positions they have never played before. I've watch the game on hudl and several times Northwest had 4 freshman on the field. 7 starters out with several backups out also. I think 4 of the kids are 3 or 4 year starters.
Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game. Depth is the major reason why good programs stay good, along with good coaching. Northwest will have to deal with the cards they have left at the table, but don't expect any other teams to feel sorry for them. I have some good friends there, but friendship doesn't win ball games.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

CoachC wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game. Depth is the major reason why good programs stay good, along with good coaching. Northwest will have to deal with the cards they have left at the table, but don't expect any other teams to feel sorry for them. I have some good friends there, but friendship doesn't win ball games.
Agree. I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for them.

Bradley39
Riding the Bench

Post by Bradley39 »

Oak Hill started 4 freshmen too. That’s part of the game.

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

Started with 48 and playing in the SOC1 conference where most of those teams start with less then 30.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

48 players and playing in the SOC I where some teams struggle to field a team..

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:34 am 48 players and playing in the SOC I where some teams struggle to field a team..
We really gonna dig this dead horse up to beat it again? Looks like they're moving back to SOC 2 in 2 years and probably will be at the bottom of the barrel. Everyone will be happy I guess.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

BTW the injury excuse is lame. Everyone has injuries. Are injuries always just a fluke thing or could it be poor training?

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

NW97 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 am
SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:34 am 48 players and playing in the SOC I where some teams struggle to field a team..
We really gonna dig this dead horse up to beat it again? Looks like they're moving back to SOC 2 in 2 years and probably will be at the bottom of the barrel. Everyone will be happy I guess.
The point is NW has some good numbers. Yes, they have had injuries but so have the smaller teams in the SOC1 which start out with a much smaller number of players. If NW will be in the bottom of the barrel when heading back to SOC !! then they should make a decision to either go independent or find another conference where they can compete. Everyone will not be happy to see them struggle--- to the contrary --- almost everyone worked with NW and gave them an opportunity to come down to the small school conference. They were to come for a few years --- not an extended number of years.
Time to change the perspective to think about the kids in the smaller schools. There is a reason there are 7 divisions in OHSAA football.
NW coaches and administration should have had a few plans moving forward as they leave the SOC1.

Return to “Football”