Watch out Ironton & Burg: The Trojans have the best QB & offense

FightingTiger99
JV Team

Re: Watch out Ironton & Burg: The Trojans have the best QB & offense

Post by FightingTiger99 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:06 am
FightingTiger99 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 pm
trojandave wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:26 pm Our Trojans are doing just fine on the gridiron. We're just looking to have to a winning season, do well in the OVC, make the playoffs and possibly advance into the 2nd or 3rd round. I think all 3 of those things are very possible. And if we do accomplish those goals, we've had a very good season.

GO TROJANS!!!
Having a good, experienced QB1 goes a long way. It's something Ironton & Burg do not have. Portsmouths makes less mistakes right now.
Irontons QB1 and QB2 are pretty dang good IMO. I believe we’ll be much better now after seeing what Wilson can do at RB and now that Keyes is back.

I was just saying right now presently with what is on the field, Portsmouth is the most stable and capable at the position out of the three. I dont factor Carpenter yet because he has seen very little action in 3 weeks now upcoming 4 weeks. Almost halfway and no prognosis on his return. So presently I think Portsmouth is possibly better at QB between the 3 teams. Also QB2 for Ironton only has a couple big passes. His arm isn't a consistent threat in my opinion.
Maybe getting Keyes back will stabilize the running game and give QB2 some more opportunities to make some plays w his arm.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:48 pm
greygoose wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:33 pm So when I said Portsmouth is better this year than they have been and they have a lot of talent on offense obviously meant nothing to the conversation. Because you literally said I was hesitant to give credit when I did. Is it an improved defense?? Only legit offense they faced was Waverly in a scrimmage and they gave up 42 first half points or on pace for 84 for a game. So yeah call me very hesitant to believe the defense is vastly improved. Good news though they don't really face any competition until Fairland and Ironton.
[/quote

Improved night and day. You must be the one who is blind. Deer Park offense wasn’t great, but they were fast. Would put up points on many local schools. West has a really solid offense, they sure did put up 27 on Fairland. But you’re right let’s base it on a scrimmage. The meaningless half of football where most teams try to come away with no injuries and stay very vanilla. 84-28 Waverly would handle Portsmouth no doubt about it. This piss poor defense Portsmouth has might even give up 100 since they haven’t played an offense yet. You can clearly look and see it’s a different defense. They are flying around to the ball, forcing a lot of turnovers, wrapping up, not making a ton of mistakes, making good reads and the secondary is decent. So yeah after years of the above mentioned not being a thing, I think it’s safe to say the defense is improved, to match a very dangerous offense and QB that you felt the need to say aren’t the best in the area, I don’t disagree but once again you not giving much credit where it’s due.
Bud I've given credit for looking much improved but you want me to stand up and say this team has done a 180 and until I see them face a team that is capable I don't know how improved that defense is. I've posted on other threads where I felt currently Portsmouth is probably in that 6-8 range in terms of overall top teams in the area. You call it a meaningless half a football played vanilla, so does that mean the offense that scored 42 was playing vanilla?? It goes both ways, tackles were missed, guys were running wide open and that has nothing to do with playing vanilla or being a scrimmage. Portsmouth is setup great for the OVC this year but this great improvement you speak of had best happen against Fairland and Ironton then into the playoffs. I'm sure they're improved but I've got to see it against a quality opponent with a quality offense. Offensively with Roe and the talent on the outside I think they can score as long as that OL holds up.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:33 pm So when I said Portsmouth is better this year than they have been and they have a lot of talent on offense obviously meant nothing to the conversation. Because you literally said I was hesitant to give credit when I did. Is it an improved defense?? Only legit offense they faced was Waverly in a scrimmage and they gave up 42 first half points or on pace for 84 for a game. So yeah call me very hesitant to believe the defense is vastly improved. Good news though they don't really face any competition until Fairland and Ironton.
[/quote

Improved night and day. You must be the one who is blind. Deer Park offense wasn’t great, but they were fast. Would put up points on many local schools. West has a really solid offense, they sure did put up 27 on Fairland. But you’re right let’s base it on a scrimmage. The meaningless half of football where most teams try to come away with no injuries and stay very vanilla. 84-28 Waverly would handle Portsmouth no doubt about it. This piss poor defense Portsmouth has might even give up 100 since they haven’t played an offense yet. You can clearly look and see it’s a different defense. They are flying around to the ball, forcing a lot of turnovers, wrapping up, not making a ton of mistakes, making good reads and the secondary is decent. So yeah after years of the above mentioned not being a thing, I think it’s safe to say the defense is improved, to match a very dangerous offense and QB that you felt the need to say aren’t the best in the area, I don’t disagree but once again you not giving much credit where it’s due.
Bud I've given credit for looking much improved but you want me to stand up and say this team has done a 180 and until I see them face a team that is capable I don't know how improved that defense is. I've posted on other threads where I felt currently Portsmouth is probably in that 6-8 range in terms of overall top teams in the area. You call it a meaningless half a football played vanilla, so does that mean the offense that scored 42 was playing vanilla?? It goes both ways, tackles were missed, guys were running wide open and that has nothing to do with playing vanilla or being a scrimmage. Portsmouth is setup great for the OVC this year but this great improvement you speak of had best happen against Fairland and Ironton then into the playoffs. I'm sure they're improved but I've got to see it against a quality opponent with a quality offense. Offensively with Roe and the talent on the outside I think they can score as long as that OL holds up.
Yes, I’d say Waverly was also very vanilla. As I stated before I think they would handle Portsmouth. But if I do recall they did put up 20 some points on that Waverly defense that’s pretty solid. I also expect Fairland and Ironton, probably even Gallia to beat Portsmouth. But I’m not going to turn a blind eye and say they aren’t improved as a team or especially on the defensive end after only 3 games against apparently inferior competition. I think it’s clear they are night and day improved regardless of the competition. Portsmouth teams of the past have given up 30 points per game. You very well may be right about the competition not being there until those games are played. But I absolutely think Roe and the offense will score on all of the teams mentioned above, meaning their offense is really good. Defense may fall apart, but won’t take away from the fact that are much improved.

FightingTiger99
JV Team

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 am
[/quote

Ironton & Fairland do not have quality offenses.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

The only thing I would judge the defense on is that the three teams they've played averaged over 28 ppg against in the 6 games against other teams less than 14 ppg against PHS. That's not likely to hold up but I'd be willing to bet that over the past 15 years we almost always allow our opponents to score over their average ppg.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pm $5 the OP is SpeedKillz..

any takers?
I think I’d pay $50 to hear this Tiger alum answer questions like

1. Who were your favorite teachers at IHS?
2. What was the best cafeteria snack at IHS?
3. What is the name of the fight song?

FightingTiger99
JV Team

TigerBob wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:06 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pm $5 the OP is SpeedKillz..

any takers?
I think I’d pay $50 to hear this Tiger alum answer questions like

1. Who were your favorite teachers at IHS?
2. What was the best cafeteria snack at IHS?
3. What is the name of the fight song?
You'd probably pay another 50 to be able to see ya door knocker instead of ya belly when you look down also, but neither are happening cause you ain't entitled to things you haven't earned. 😂

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:36 pm While I love seeing a post bragging on Portsmouth truth is they havent played a burg, ironton or Jackson, I’ll even go they haven’t played a Chillicothe or Russell or fairland but the Trojans are doing what they should be right now and that’s winning games and showing a improved offense and defense.
Watched Waverly put up 42 on Portsmouth in the first half of a scrimmage

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Shoedaddy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:03 am [quote=Beergogglebluez post_id=<a href="tel:1948599">1948599</a> time=<a href="tel:1631054180">1631054180</a> user_id=4481]
While I love seeing a post bragging on Portsmouth truth is they havent played a burg, ironton or Jackson, I’ll even go they haven’t played a Chillicothe or Russell or fairland but the Trojans are doing what they should be right now and that’s winning games and showing a improved offense and defense.
Watched Waverly put up 42 on Portsmouth in the first half of a scrimmage
[/quote]

Ohh nice, so then you watched Portsmouth put up 20 some that same half? Full game would’ve been 80 something to 40 something. Sounds like a couple of horrendous defenses.

Return to “Football”