Week 5 Waverly at Washington Court House

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Re: Week 5 Waverly at Washington Court House

Post by MasterOfNone »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 am Chillicothe's unceremonious, 11th-hour cancellation on Waverly was unreasonable and unnecessary. I think most, if not all of us, would agree.

With WCH... have to give them a break on this. I know folks don't like to put their biases aside, here, but "we're not having school this week -- although we're cool with the football team still coming in, practicing all week and they'll be good to play on Friday" is a lot going on for other schools to agree to play ball with. At the end of the day, CH banged the game as soon as possible -- that's a pretty honorable and respectful way to handle this bad situation. The sooner it gets addressed, the lesser the losses for everyone involved. Both teams get ample time to find another match, if they're going to pursue it.
This isn’t a “bad situation”, I heard they didn’t even exchange film until yesterday morning, which is later than normal. And they exchanged film knowing the situation and didn’t have a problem with it then. But know after watching the film they wanna cancel? Court House isn’t concerned about COVID, they knew they were gonna to get derailed and took the easy way out. There have been multiple schools on this area close schools for a week and still play their games.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

wch125 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:14 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 am Chillicothe's unceremonious, 11th-hour cancellation on Waverly was unreasonable and unnecessary. I think most, if not all of us, would agree.

With WCH... have to give them a break on this. I know folks don't like to put their biases aside, here, but "we're not having school this week -- although we're cool with the football team still coming in, practicing all week and they'll be good to play on Friday" is a lot going on for other schools to agree to play ball with. At the end of the day, CH banged the game as soon as possible -- that's a pretty honorable and respectful way to handle this bad situation. The sooner it gets addressed, the lesser the losses for everyone involved. Both teams get ample time to find another match, if they're going to pursue it.
Well said ! Other schools will factor in also whether to Play you guys also. Im not sure if other sports teams are playing in your district but with this posted on your district website https://www.waverly.k12.oh.us/article/531758 I imagine teams will ask their local health departments to see if the game should happen.
Waverly doesn’t have as many Covid cases as that makes it seem. The reason there were so many students absent was due to contact tracing, which the hardest hit grades were the young group. If Waverly’s football team has no players in quarantine then what is the problem? WCH could pick up a team that has current players positive and may never know it but are ok with playing, where the risk is higher.

Waterboy

Post by 1506 »

Let the excuses pile up. No one on the football team has covid or in quarantine. You avoided the L and you’re looking for a lesser team to play and whoever you find they have covid in there area. Terrible and terrible to defend it!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:15 pm

This isn’t a “bad situation”, I heard they didn’t even exchange film until yesterday morning, which is later than normal. And they exchanged film knowing the situation and didn’t have a problem with it then. But know after watching the film they wanna cancel? Court House isn’t concerned about COVID, they knew they were gonna to get derailed and took the easy way out. There have been multiple schools on this area close schools for a week and still play their games.
Uh, yeah it is a bad situation. 'Not able to have school but able to play football' doesn't jive with some schools. WCH has to look out for themselves, too, and not put themselves into a situation where their home game vs the originally scheduled opponent (whose school system is so badly ravaged by the contagious SARS-CoV-2*variants that they have to close school to stem the spread) may get cancelled on a Wednesday or Thursday.

"Court House knew they were gonna to get derailed" -- O RLY?!? Didn't they just play Westerville North, a team way larger and likely better than Waverly, on two days preparation?

Waverly has more than enough time to find an opponent. And there's a slew of opponents who have openings for this week, across the state, that would be suitable to play Waverly.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

Ultimately you can say what you want about Washington CH. Waverly has ample time to pick up a game. No I don't know the covid situation at Waverly for their football team.

"It is What it is ! "

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:44 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Uh, yeah it is a bad situation. 'Not able to have school but able to play football' doesn't jive with some schools. WCH has to look out for themselves, too, and not put themselves into a situation where their home game vs the originally scheduled opponent (whose school system is so badly ravaged by the contagious SARS-CoV-2*variants that they have to close school to stem the spread) may get cancelled on a Wednesday or Thursday.

"Court House knew they were gonna to get derailed" -- O RLY?!? Didn't they just play Westerville North, a team way larger and likely better than Waverly, on two days preparation?

Waverly has more than enough time to find an opponent. And there's a slew of opponents who have openings for this week, across the state, that would be suitable to play Waverly.
As far as the football team goes tho, as of right now they have 0 positive cases or quarantines amongst all players and staff. They have been wearing masks in the locker room since the beginning of August. And were required by the coaching staff to wear them at school. So I guess my point is that WCH could have been playing teams all year or future opponents who have more of a risk of spreading the virus to them because the team they are playing may have had positive cases or quarantines that week and never tell them. Or they don’t wear masks in the locker room or to school. My point is if you are choosing to play during this time, you are assuming a risk. But Waverly’s football team as of right now is not anymore of a risk than any other team.

Waterboy

Post by 1506 »

“It is what it is”. Means we found a way to not play Waverly. Keep making excuses just like Chillicothe did. Again no cases on the football team, no quarantined players. You guys will most likely not play or play a lesser opponent and that school will have covid cases on the rise. Again look at the pic of your field from last Friday. Make your excuses and I’ll call it like it is. We shouldn’t have to look for an opponent we already have one scheduled for this Friday.
Attachments
833FDE1C-AED8-4B4B-8E2D-696C1C961978.jpeg

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

1506 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:12 pm “It is what it is”. Means we found a way to not play Waverly. Keep making excuses just like Chillicothe did. Again no cases on the football team, no quarantined players. You guys will most likely not play or play a lesser opponent and that school will have covid cases on the rise. Again look at the pic of your field from last Friday. Make your excuses and I’ll call it like it is. We shouldn’t have to look for an opponent we already have one scheduled for this Friday.

Thanks ! Sounds like you have all the answers for both teams about what's going on. Glad both schools contacted you first to explain to everyone.

First and Goal
Waterboy

Post by First and Goal »

It doesn't matter that the football team or coaching staff has zero cases. The District is at 40%. This thread should be taken down.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

First and Goal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm It doesn't matter that the football team or coaching staff has zero cases. The District is at 40%. This thread should be taken down.
The district does not have 40% positive cases

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 pm
First and Goal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm It doesn't matter that the football team or coaching staff has zero cases. The District is at 40%. This thread should be taken down.
39%

Waterboy

Post by 1506 »

You’re welcome! Now go look for a lesser opponent and pack your stands!!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

1506 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:12 pm “It is what it is”. Means we found a way to not play Waverly. Keep making excuses just like Chillicothe did. Again no cases on the football team, no quarantined players. You guys will most likely not play or play a lesser opponent and that school will have covid cases on the rise. Again look at the pic of your field from last Friday. Make your excuses and I’ll call it like it is. We shouldn’t have to look for an opponent we already have one scheduled for this Friday.
Oh, so everyone is out to get Waverly huh? The coach can't override the decisions made by the people above him.

With this much advanced notice that the game is off, nothing should be off the table for Waverly when it comes to finding a replacement game. Division III (not D2) Ross, west of Cincinnati, supposedly called Waverly after the Chilli game was banged. It's very understandable why that matchup didn't happen, since its just not realistic to expect games to be scheduled-and-played so suddenly (call was made on Friday morning?)

Today is Monday. There are at least three schools (Chaminade-Julienne, Ft. Loramie and Warren JFK) who have openings this week -- invariably there will be several more coming in the next day or two. If Waverly can't get a replacement game, somehow, then either WCH's concerns are shared by other schools or Waverly just isn't willing to make one happen if an open school is willing to play them.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

1506 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:34 pm You’re welcome! Now go look for a lesser opponent and pack your stands!!
So is Waverly taking a bye, then? I'd be more concerned about Waverly finding a new game than Court House.

Also: Westerville North >>> Minford (last week's WCH schedule change.) There goes your "go look for a lesser opponent" argument.

Waterboy

Post by 1506 »

Then play us!!

Waterboy

Post by 1506 »

Looks like Fayette county is on a high level of transmission maybe you should sit the week out due to covid! Also it’s a really weak argument to say we quit and you have plenty of time to find another opponent. Keep making excuses!
Attachments
7DE52C1F-5AA6-483A-A3E0-C46F2F38D27D.png

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

wch125 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 pm
39%
They don’t have 39% positive cases either.

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

As a Waverly parent it is a bit frustrating considering the precautions the team has made. However, the rest of the district and public have made little to none and that's why we are nicknamed "SPike County". If school hadn't been cancelled, both Chillicothe and WCH games would have been played.
It's even more frustrating that Waverly is loaded, has been for the last few years and games and opportunities are being taken from kids. In all likelihood, Waverly had a 95% probability of winning both games. But I'm not sure Waverly's talent had as much to do with the decision as we want to believe. I get it, we have all become conspiracy theorists and believe there is an ulterior motive but I don't think that's the case. If we were 0-3 going in to Chillicothe would they have played us? Probably not, the Super making the calls at Chilli has no clue about athletics and probably didn't even ask her AD or BOE. I feel like WCH, being in the FAC with Chilli, had to follow their brother's call.
Hopefully Waverly can find a game for this week, if not, heal up and wait for week 5. It's really all that can be done at this point.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

1506 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:41 pm Looks like Fayette county is on a high level of transmission maybe you should sit the week out due to covid! Also it’s a really weak argument to say we quit and you have plenty of time to find another opponent. Keep making excuses!
Washington CH Schools are do not have a high rate of Covid. We are still in session

masterofnone
[/quote]

They don’t have 39% positive cases either.
[/quote]

You should look at your district website, it says the district has %39 out with covid!

Also was the football team the only sport tested?
I see last week the cross country meet was cancelled and volleyball are not playing right now. Not sure about soccer.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

39 percent is out due to Covid. Not positive Covid.

Contact Tracing Is the overwhelming majority for that many people out. And most the people out are in the primary and elementary. Whole Class after Whole Class being wiped due to contact tracing.

Every County in OHIO is in RED.

It is not a different scenario playing out at Piketon,Eastern,Western who are still taking part in Sports.

Waverly being proactive is seen as a problem and a reason to be canceled on.
Portsmouth in same situation. Not being Canceled on.

Hard to see it any other Way than Waverly being singled out with a possibility of a loss.

Return to “Football”