Why play anyone you have a chance of losing to?

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Re: Why play anyone you have a chance of losing to?

Post by Billy Brave »

There's a team or two in SEO that are doing this at least with non-league games. They are playing the teams they know they can beat with whoever they have available and ducking the teams they know they can't beat short handed. It's a shame for the schools that have to find a replacement, but it is what it is. Billy out. :mrgreen:

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:16 pm
FourEyes wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:59 pm
enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 am

You use a lot of “but” and “most” and other generalities. Not really a solid foundation to make decisions. You say, “it should be based on x.” What arbitrary number do you want to put on it and how would you arrive at that number? Most people complain when the OHSAA sets ticket prices but now they want them to define health guidelines? Sorry, it’s a much more complex issue than drawing blanket lines for everyone. And frankly, it’s a ridiculous suggestion.

As for, what happens to Waverly in your scenario, unfortunately they are the ones who have shut down their physical classrooms. There’s a reason for that. It sucks for them, but it’s not everyone else’s job to cross their own risk lines (whether you agree with where they’re drawn or not) so that Waverly can get enough games in. If a large number of schools are affected by the minimum game rule, I could see the OHSAA adapting again. But if not, it is just an unfortunate circumstance for the handful of schools that are affected.
When you say “…cross their own risk lines”, may speak to the point of this thread. OHSAA has failed to define standards of when/why/how schools can cancel games.
Again, why would they? The OHSAA is not a health organization. Seriously think about what you are talking about there for 5 seconds.
What’s your status with the OHSAA?

FourEyes
Waterboy

Post by FourEyes »

You use a lot of “but” and “most” and other generalities. Not really a solid foundation to make decisions. You say, “it should be based on x.” What arbitrary number do you want to put on it and how would you arrive at that number? Most people complain when the OHSAA sets ticket prices but now they want them to define health guidelines? Sorry, it’s a much more complex issue than drawing blanket lines for everyone. And frankly, it’s a ridiculous suggestion.

As for, what happens to Waverly in your scenario, unfortunately they are the ones who have shut down their physical classrooms. There’s a reason for that. It sucks for them, but it’s not everyone else’s job to cross their own risk lines (whether you agree with where they’re drawn or not) so that Waverly can get enough games in. If a large number of schools are affected by the minimum game rule, I could see the OHSAA adapting again. But if not, it is just an unfortunate circumstance for the handful of schools that are affected.
When you say “…cross their own risk lines”, may speak to the point of this thread. OHSAA has failed to define standards of when/why/how schools can cancel games.
Again, why would they? The OHSAA is not a health organization. Seriously think about what you are talking about there for 5 seconds.
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, 3… OHSAA is the governing body of HS sports. If both football teams are able to play without restrictions, then they should fulfill their obligations and play. Every county in Ohio is Red with Covid, several schools all virtual and still playing their scheduled games. Absolutely no reason to cancel this game, except fear.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm What’s your status with the OHSAA?
Lol. You think I’m affiliated with the OHSAA because I don’t want the OHSAA making health decisions for my/your/anyone’s school district? I would ask, but I already know your status with rationality.

You know good and well if the OHSAA came out and said, “A school can cancel without forfeit if the opponent has gone to virtual school,” you’d argue that they drew the line the wrong place or that they are overstepping their authority. You aren’t looking for what’s right nor are you considering what is reasonable. It’s okay to have an emotional reaction when you care about something, but it’s silly to lose all sense of perspective.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

FourEyes wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 pm

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, 3… OHSAA is the governing body of HS sports. If both football teams are able to play without restrictions, then they should fulfill their obligations and play. Every county in Ohio is Red with Covid, several schools all virtual and still playing their scheduled games. Absolutely no reason to cancel this game, except fear.
Sorry, there’s a reason you aren’t paid or elected to make decisions about the health of several hundred students. It doesn’t ever really matter what “everyone else” does or perhaps you think would do. Each of these decisions is made by the people who are responsible for the consequences. Some may be overly safe, some may be reckless, and some may fall in the middle. The only one most people wouldn’t want to be is reckless when it comes to life and death. Sure, it’s fear. But you aren’t on the hook for it, so it’s easy for you to spout off.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

If the school says "we are not playing other schools that are currently on virtual learning" then the OSHAA has no and should not have a say in what the school decides.

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

Teams are using this to their advantage. Playing if they know they can win with the players available and not when they don't think they can. Shameful to use the rules that way IMO. Billy out! :mrgreen:

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

In the past, schools have had to live up to their contractural obligations. The only way you could cancel games was by mutual consent. With Covid, things have changed. If a school is scared of playing another school because of covid concerns, should they be playing period. There is no 100% guarantee that you are safe from covid in any circumstances. We aren't totally safe in stores, restaurants, schools or athletic events. There are some precautions to follow that lessens the exposure but nobody is 100% safe. If we aren't willing to have some risk, shut everything down and stay home.

FourEyes
Waterboy

Post by FourEyes »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Sorry, there’s a reason you aren’t paid or elected to make decisions about the health of several hundred students. It doesn’t ever really matter what “everyone else” does or perhaps you think would do. Each of these decisions is made by the people who are responsible for the consequences. Some may be overly safe, some may be reckless, and some may fall in the middle. The only one most people wouldn’t want to be is reckless when it comes to life and death. Sure, it’s fear. But you aren’t on the hook for it, so it’s easy for you to spout off.
We are in the midst of a Pandemic! Every game played this season and last could be labeled as Reckless. Good luck the rest of the year.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:13 am
enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 am

I want to be sure I understand the specific scenario you are asking me about - Chillicothe & WCH canceled on Waverly (allegedly) because of the number of cases at Waverly, but Waverly won’t cancel themselves? Is that accurate?
You’d have to ask them why they canceled but it’s not the number of COVID cases. Waverly had a 39% absentee rate mostly due to contact tracing and most of that was in the elementary buildings. Waverly took a pro-active measure to prevent a spike in actual cases and went to virtual learning until the 20th, which would be 6 school days, to proactively clean and sanitize rooms.
There are absolutely no cases on the football team and none of the team quarantined due to contact tracing. The football team has been very proactive by wearing masks in school and in the locker room.
I’m sure there are other teams and other sports at other schools playing who are in virtual learning situations.
What should matter is the number of actual cases in that particular school building and or sport. In that case, if Waverly had 2 or 3 players test positive and several had to quarantine then I’m sure Waverly would have to cancel - most likely the scenario for games being canceled up to this point across the State.
How many schools have canceled because the team they are playing is in virtual learning?

Your Posts don’t age well. Comes out that WCH Blamed Waverly but have football players testing Positive.

You have attacked Waverly but will you do the same when they are wronged. Time and Time again?

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

Is waverly really playing Ironton friday?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Shoedaddy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:19 pm
TigerBob wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm You play teams that can beat you so you can get better. Next question.
Most competitors and good programs have that mentality but that doesn't make it the majority
So if you were a independent you would schedule all teams that were better then you?

I don’t think so. You would schedule up some. You would also schedule some games for your team to build confidence in themselves.

Look we have no idea exactly why games were canceled or what calls go on or what guidelines are. Maybe athletic directors or school administrators call each other or report absences.

I mean these decisions could be being made by a superintendent and have nothing to do with wins or losses

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

LetsBeReal wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm

You’d have to ask them why they canceled but it’s not the number of COVID cases. Waverly had a 39% absentee rate mostly due to contact tracing and most of that was in the elementary buildings. Waverly took a pro-active measure to prevent a spike in actual cases and went to virtual learning until the 20th, which would be 6 school days, to proactively clean and sanitize rooms.
There are absolutely no cases on the football team and none of the team quarantined due to contact tracing. The football team has been very proactive by wearing masks in school and in the locker room.
I’m sure there are other teams and other sports at other schools playing who are in virtual learning situations.
What should matter is the number of actual cases in that particular school building and or sport. In that case, if Waverly had 2 or 3 players test positive and several had to quarantine then I’m sure Waverly would have to cancel - most likely the scenario for games being canceled up to this point across the State.
How many schools have canceled because the team they are playing is in virtual learning?

Your Posts don’t age well. Comes out that WCH Blamed Waverly but have football players testing Positive.

You have attacked Waverly but will you do the same when they are wronged. Time and Time again?
I did not attack Waverly at all. I asked for information, was provided details, and specifically called out the other poster’s “scenario.” Waverly was just the example.

Nothing about your potential development changes the bottom line, which is that the OHSAA has no reason to tell schools when they can and cannot cancel games over COVID risks. It’s up to the schools to make that decision in the interest of their own kids and based on the information as they evaluate it. It still isn’t anyone else’s responsibility to play just for the sake of Waverly (or anyone else) to get enough games.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

FourEyes wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 pm
enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm

We are in the midst of a Pandemic! Every game played this season and last could be labeled as Reckless. Good luck the rest of the year.
Yep, some people have that opinion. The folks in charge at their respective schools are doing their best to balance safety and everyone’s desire to have some semblance of normalcy. Like I said, it is easy for every idiot Joe on the street to spout off about what they should do, but those Joes don’t have to answer to anyone for their uninformed, selfish opinions.

Administrators didn’t ask for this predicament any more than you or I did. They just have to put their jobs on the line to try and navigate it the best they can.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

go court house wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:06 am There should def be some guidelines. Cases on a team, Cases total in the district. Is the school open for business or full remote learning. Washington ch cancelled on Waverly this week but I can assure you if Waverly was I. Session this game would have been played Friday night. I absolutely agree that if a school cancels a game and there is no reason to it that the should take a forefit and not be allowed to schedule a team that week
:lol: :lol: I don't think anyone believes that what so ever, many schools from different counties have gone to some form of remote learning for a short period of time. To try and say if it was in session has to be one of the biggest cop outs, so in session waverly has no players positive or in quarantine from what is being said on here. Remote learning waverly has no players positive or in quarantine and the remote learning has now taken away the ability to be around larger number of people who you could come into contact with. YEAH that makes sense, LOL. They would've played if Waverly was in session and around everyone in school, but the remote learning with kids now away from everyone they cancel that's freakin hilarious

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Buckeye1972 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm In the past, schools have had to live up to their contractural obligations. The only way you could cancel games was by mutual consent. With Covid, things have changed. If a school is scared of playing another school because of covid concerns, should they be playing period. There is no 100% guarantee that you are safe from covid in any circumstances. We aren't totally safe in stores, restaurants, schools or athletic events. There are some precautions to follow that lessens the exposure but nobody is 100% safe. If we aren't willing to have some risk, shut everything down and stay home.
This really illustrates the problem with the average person thinking they have it all figured out. This is a complex issue for the folks making these decisions; to say it is as simple as either do everything normally or don’t do them at all is just intellectually lazy. These people are trying to balance risks with all the positives that come from in-school learning, extracurricular activities, etc. They catch crap from all sides, no matter what they do. They ARE accepting SOME risk and simply trying to do the right thing.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:18 pm
go court house wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:06 am There should def be some guidelines. Cases on a team, Cases total in the district. Is the school open for business or full remote learning. Washington ch cancelled on Waverly this week but I can assure you if Waverly was I. Session this game would have been played Friday night. I absolutely agree that if a school cancels a game and there is no reason to it that the should take a forefit and not be allowed to schedule a team that week
:lol: :lol: I don't think anyone believes that what so ever, many schools from different counties have gone to some form of remote learning for a short period of time. To try and say if it was in session has to be one of the biggest cop outs, so in session waverly has no players positive or in quarantine from what is being said on here. Remote learning waverly has no players positive or in quarantine and the remote learning has now taken away the ability to be around larger number of people who you could come into contact with. YEAH that makes sense, LOL. They would've played if Waverly was in session and around everyone in school, but the remote learning with kids now away from everyone they cancel that's freakin hilarious
Ya, it really is hilarious if Waverly had not went to virtual Learning (being proactive to prevent a spike) they would be playing right now. None of the facts would have changed other then the students going to the buildings.
Chillicothe and WCH would in all reality have faced more risk with Waverly in the buildings. They were def safer with Waverly going virtual learning.
Oh well, beating a dead horse at this point… we are idiot Joes you know.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:17 am

They don’t have to make “health decisions” for schools but there needs to be some kind of criteria to cancel a game on an a opponent. Basketball is quite different in that games can be made up. In football you really have no way to make them up. And if I’m not mistaken didnt the OHSAA stipulate you have to play so many games (5 seems like what I read) to be eligible for the playoffs. What if Waverly has a few more Chillicothe’s and Washington Court Houses and don’t get that number of games in?
They would miss the playoffs when the actual number of Covid cases was not an issue… tell me that would be the right thing for the OHSAA to stand by and let happen?
I want to be sure I understand the specific scenario you are asking me about - Chillicothe & WCH canceled on Waverly (allegedly) because of the number of cases at Waverly, but Waverly won’t cancel themselves? Is that accurate?

It’s not just the football team they have to consider it’s also the community because of all of the fans that would attend the game

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Buckeye1972 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm In the past, schools have had to live up to their contractural obligations. The only way you could cancel games was by mutual consent. With Covid, things have changed. If a school is scared of playing another school because of covid concerns, should they be playing period. There is no 100% guarantee that you are safe from covid in any circumstances. We aren't totally safe in stores, restaurants, schools or athletic events. There are some precautions to follow that lessens the exposure but nobody is 100% safe. If we aren't willing to have some risk, shut everything down and stay home.
This really illustrates the problem with the average person thinking they have it all figured out. This is a complex issue for the folks making these decisions; to say it is as simple as either do everything normally or don’t do them at all is just intellectually lazy. These people are trying to balance risks with all the positives that come from in-school learning, extracurricular activities, etc. They catch crap from all sides, no matter what they do. They ARE accepting SOME risk and simply trying to do the right thing.

/thread

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Izladoom wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:17 pm

It’s not just the football team they have to consider it’s also the community because of all of the fans that would attend the game
It doesn’t take a genius to understand what is being considered!

Ohio State packed in 100k plus fans.
90 percent of other schools played

I only know of one situation of an opponent canceling because of the other teams covid(lack thereof)situation.

It doesn’t sit well when Zane Trace Travels to Piketon
after Chillicothe refuses to go to Waverly.

Then WCH trying to pull the same just to have positive cases within the football program.

2 bizarre situations.

Common denominator is both teams were looking to be smoked by Waverly.

It’s funny when one poster tries to call out everyone else’s intelligence to discredit what they are saying.

Every AD and program has about the same scope of issues to deal with.

Must be easy to cave when your program sucks that bad.

Return to “Football”