Portsmouth West Home Field

CoachC
Freshman Team

Portsmouth West Home Field

Post by CoachC »

I have heard a few different reasons for the delay of installation. Does anyone really know why we are once again scheduling our week 6 "home game" at an alternative site? Is it possible there will not be a single game played at the Rock in 2021?

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Portsmouth West Home Field

Post by Omega »

No specific knowledge on this particular situation, but construction projects all over the nation are lagging due to labor shortages and supply chain problems. Overruns of scheduled completion dates is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Omega wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:16 pm No specific knowledge on this particular situation, but construction projects all over the nation are lagging due to labor shortages and supply chain problems. Overruns of scheduled completion dates is becoming the norm rather than the exception.
I’m sure people in the community would volunteer free labor just to have it done.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Last I had heard, due to covid the manufacturer was shut down, bringing on more delays. I know everything is delayed right now but the ball has been dropped on this. I'll give you one or two weeks but this shouldn't be this bad. I feel bad for the Seniors, they had an amazing opportunity to make this a monumental first game with league title implications and now it's jacked.

Whether this is true I can't vouch, but I also heard that our Superintendent originally bought the turf and did not want to put any logos or paint the endzones to save money. People got on him and reversed the order, ultimately delaying more. If that is true thank God, how stupid.

I've heard from several players coaches and college football players that after this is complete, this will be the best facility in Southern Ohio with the newly added weight room and renovations to locker room.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm Last I had heard, due to covid the manufacturer was shut down, bringing on more delays. I know everything is delayed right now but the ball has been dropped on this. I'll give you one or two weeks but this shouldn't be this bad. I feel bad for the Seniors, they had an amazing opportunity to make this a monumental first game with league title implications and now it's jacked.

Whether this is true I can't vouch, but I also heard that our Superintendent originally bought the turf and did not want to put any logos or paint the endzones to save money. People got on him and reversed the order, ultimately delaying more. If that is true thank God, how stupid.

I've heard from several players coaches and college football players that after this is complete, this will be the best facility in Southern Ohio with the newly added weight room and renovations to locker room.
Every area school that has had upgrades recently claims to have been told they have “one of the best facilities in the area”. But you are claiming it will be THE best, interesting.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm Last I had heard, due to covid the manufacturer was shut down, bringing on more delays. I know everything is delayed right now but the ball has been dropped on this. I'll give you one or two weeks but this shouldn't be this bad. I feel bad for the Seniors, they had an amazing opportunity to make this a monumental first game with league title implications and now it's jacked.

Every area school that has had upgrades recently claims to have been told they have “one of the best facilities in the area”. But you are claiming it will be THE best, interesting.
Ya, unless they have done something with the visiting bleachers being a mile from the field don’t make such claims, LOL.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Baseball and softball fields will be turf by the following season with an added tennis court on campus. Im not just talking about football field. And the gymnasium is newly remodeled with boys and girls locker room. Alot more color and pride than the old plane jane walls.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Ya, unless they have done something with the visiting bleachers being a mile from the field don’t make such claims, LOL.
I don't disagree with that but I'm talking about the campus as a whole. New indoor facility with batting cages and pitching mounds along with weights. Brand new locker room. Baseball and softball field is suppose to start on turf by the end of next season. New tennis courts are on the way. Gymnasium is painted with new design on the court and girls and boys locker rooms getting very nice paint jobs and lockers. All while having a very beautiful place down on the river. Straight from a former WVU football players mouth, he said he has worked out at many places around here including Burg, and this weightroom is by far nicer. Not that nice makes it any more effective but in today's age kids like the flashy stuff.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

LetsBeReal wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 pm
Omega wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:16 pm No specific knowledge on this particular situation, but construction projects all over the nation are lagging due to labor shortages and supply chain problems. Overruns of scheduled completion dates is becoming the norm rather than the exception.
I’m sure people in the community would volunteer free labor just to have it done.
I know I would. As far as I know I think everything is completed. Just waiting on it to be delivered. Supposedly the company has also said they will work continuously until it is in there, just need it here.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 pm

I don't disagree with that but I'm talking about the campus as a whole. New indoor facility with batting cages and pitching mounds along with weights. Brand new locker room. Baseball and softball field is suppose to start on turf by the end of next season. New tennis courts are on the way. Gymnasium is painted with new design on the court and girls and boys locker rooms getting very nice paint jobs and lockers. All while having a very beautiful place down on the river. Straight from a former WVU football players mouth, he said he has worked out at many places around here including Burg, and this weightroom is by far nicer. Not that nice makes it any more effective but in today's age kids like the flashy stuff.
I was just being funny. You can be and should be proud of the facilities.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:25 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:49 pm

I was just being funny. You can be and should be proud of the facilities.
I agree though, whoevers decision to put the away bleachers that far from the field should be fired.

BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

I thought it would have been really neat if they played their home games at the old high school “The Complex” until the new field is done. Does anyone know the reasoning as to why that couldn’t have been an option?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 pm I thought it would have been really neat if they played their home games at the old high school “The Complex” until the new field is done. Does anyone know the reasoning as to why that couldn’t have been an option?
Wouldn't that be amazing? I really don't know why it hasn't been considered.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 pm
BuckeyeBond wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 pm I thought it would have been really neat if they played their home games at the old high school “The Complex” until the new field is done. Does anyone know the reasoning as to why that couldn’t have been an option?
I'm sure there was/is a valid reason the complex couldn't be considered, but I do miss the closeness to the game of the 13th street facility. Otherwise I guess this season will probably go down as a year without a home, not only for football, but both soccer teams as well. Yes, they both got to play at their old field, but they were promised the stadium with turf also.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

How far are the stands ?

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

So far I won't go to games there.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

CoachC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:23 pm
I'm sure there was/is a valid reason the complex couldn't be considered, but I do miss the closeness to the game of the 13th street facility. Otherwise I guess this season will probably go down as a year without a home, not only for football, but both soccer teams as well. Yes, they both got to play at their old field, but they were promised the stadium with turf also.
Have you been to the Complex lately? It is in pretty rough shape imo. Not trying to put anyone down by any means, but the restrooms/concession probably need knocked down and rebuilt.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

bfry wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:34 am

Have you been to the Complex lately? It is in pretty rough shape imo. Not trying to put anyone down by any means, but the restrooms/concession probably need knocked down and rebuilt.
I haven't been back there in a while. I am sure its pretty ran down, but I would still think it is functional. I played at both stadiums and while the Rock is nice, that place felt like home. You can feel the history and having the fans on top of you made it special.

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

I believe lighting might have been the big problem with the Complex. The summer league Tanks (before they shut down) were going to have to play earlier on Saturdays to try to get their games in before dark. The cost of fixing the old lights - I was told - would have been quite expensive.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

bfry wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:34 am
SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 pm Wouldn't that be amazing? I really don't know why it hasn't been considered.
Buckeye1972 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:05 pm I believe lighting might have been the big problem with the Complex. The summer league Tanks (before they shut down) were going to have to play earlier on Saturdays to try to get their games in before dark. The cost of fixing the old lights - I was told - would have been quite expensive.
Both are what I consider valid reasons. I'm sure upkeep at the complex is expensive enough, but to properly maintain the football facility would take a millionaire's wallet.

Return to “Football”