Waverly at Portsmouth it can happen now!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly at Portsmouth it can happen now!!!

Post by biggdowgg »

Congratulations to waverly, and im very proud of my Trojans, first for stepping up to play this game and second for almost pulling this game out on the road.

A lot has us 21 point underdogs because of our scrimmage that is why they call it a scrimmage

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

Incredible game and congratulations to waverly. I think this game really shows that Portsmouth is going to be a force to be wreckoned with for the rest of the regular season.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

That loss hurt but man.. Trojans made a statement tonight. They will learn from this, great game to prepare them for the playoffs. Portsmouth should be PROUD!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

biggdowgg wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 pm Congratulations to waverly, and im very proud of my Trojans, first for stepping up to play this game and second for almost pulling this game out on the road.

A lot has us 21 point underdogs because of our scrimmage that is why they call it a scrimmage
Nah it was based on quality opponents they've beaten plain and simple. They stepped up to the plate and did well for themselves tonight, both teams had chances to make this a 2 score game and neither could take advantage. Waverly still struggling in short yardage situations and really need to learn that a QB sneak from under center has worked for MANY MANY years. Trojans with 2 really nice stands to stay in the game and a great TD drive after Waverly had scored 13 real quick in the 3rd. Good game, Waverly really struggled where they haven't played in a couple weeks and players were gutting it out. Waverly had to go for 2 at the end.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Wow what a game! All the points the string of defensive stands this was a great one. Hats off to Portsmouth they are indeed legit this game was a big 50/50 and Waverly just happened to capitalize at the right time. Best of luck to Portsmouth the rest of the way as well.

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Receivers were the difference I thought. Waverly kids we’re big and caught everything. Portsmouth played almost 10 yard cushion. Other than that they did great. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

BigGame99 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:54 pm Trojan timeout....ball on their own 34....13 seconds
Couple wks ago people had fairland winning vs portsmouth.

Not. So. Fast.
I still think it’ll be a game, Portsmouth is going to have to play hard like they did tonight and Fairland is going to have to play hard like they did at ironton.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Can someone please make clips of the bad/missed calls. I’m sure their were plenty for both teams but man some of those calls were god awful. these 3 stick out the most

Will Futhey Final drive had forward progress about 2 yards past the first down and was drove back out of bounds and it was spotted where he went out.(score on drive)

Penn Morrison crossing the goal line and ending up 3 yards deep for it to be down at the 1(no score on drive)

Will futhey with a fade caught in the End zone and called incomplete(no score on drive)

I’m not trying to take away anything at all from Portsmouth. They have seriously improved and almost won against a more talented team. If they played tomorrow Waverly Would still be 3 score favorites. They played more disciplined and made less mistakes and less turnovers. They played almost the perfect game tonight.

My previous posts stated that if early turnovers happened that the results could of been this way.

Hats off to Portsmouth and good luck the rest of the season. Weeks 8-10 can be real interesting.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly has to got to stop being cute at the goal line. Having 1st and goal from the 1 and not even lining up under center. The most confusing part of the night for me can we not get a single yard that close? Other than that offense hummed along excluding the interception. Running back is still a revolving door now with all these injuries hopefully someone can step up

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:37 pm Waverly has to got to stop being cute at the goal line. Having 1st and goal from the 1 and not even lining up under center. The most confusing part of the night for me can we not get a single yard that close? Other than that offense hummed along excluding the interception. Running back is still a revolving door now with all these injuries hopefully someone can step up
2 interceptions at crucial points. Pick 6 and the interception for a touchback.

I knew that was going to happen. Almost happened the first time that screen was ran but the db barely missed(seemed early and high)and stulley got a nice gain.

I was hoping to see a pump fake later in the game to the open receiver.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

LetsBeReal wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:40 pm
Kicker. wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:37 pm Waverly has to got to stop being cute at the goal line. Having 1st and goal from the 1 and not even lining up under center. The most confusing part of the night for me can we not get a single yard that close? Other than that offense hummed along excluding the interception. Running back is still a revolving door now with all these injuries hopefully someone can step up

I knew that was going to happen. Almost happened the first time that screen was ran but the db barely missed(seemed early and high)and stulley got a nice gain.

That too we’ve ran the screen to death here early in the season hopefully the offense gets more creative now that there’s a good bit of film on our offense. I’d like to see Futhey get more targets early in games to make it easier for Morrison and Stulley as well. I believe in our coaching staff though biggest drive of the game they made the calls and that excellent 2 point play

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 pm

That too we’ve ran the screen to death here early in the season hopefully the offense gets more creative now that there’s a good bit of film on our offense. I’d like to see Futhey get more targets early in games to make it easier for Morrison and Stulley as well. I believe in our coaching staff though biggest drive of the game they made the calls and that excellent 2 point play
What drive me nuts is that the deep ball was there all night and we stayed away from it. The safety seemed to stay in a bubble 15- 20 yards down field and didn’t stay with the wr. Many missed opportunities. On the other side I was proud of Marquez. He had a really good game in coverage.

The run game with more variation than 10 yd gain and repeat was there too.

Playcall was the worst I’ve seen in years and they still won.
Took guts for that 2pt Conversion and was masterful.
Last edited by LetsBeReal on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Great game to watch. Heart breaking loss for the Trojans. Congrats to Waverly on the win. I’m very proud of the effort from Portsmouth tonight. Defense gave up points but honestly played well. Run defense was good again, much improved like I stated. Secondary did what they could. Waverly WR’s are big, good hands. Legit playmakers out there they have. Few bad calls went against both teams. Nothing I’m going to whine about and blame the loss on. I will say that kickoff after the Trojans took the lead was terrible. I know the squib was the better call, but it had no bounce to it, and they started with the ball basically at midfield. Not saying it changes the outcome, but that definitely hurt. Waverly is a good team, I’m not sure they are night and day 3 TD’s better than Portsmouth like many thought or still think. This game was definitely a win win for both schools. Will help come playoff time. Good luck to the Tigers the rest of the season. Hopefully they can get some fluids in them and get their legs back under them after a week off, I’ve never seen so many cramps lol.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sorry but I was trying to announce the game and post and my internet went down…..

4th quarter was like the final round of a heavy weight fight.
10:05 Waverly pass to Morrison who drug players 10 yards to the 1 (thought he got in).
Tigers fail to score
After traded punts Portsmouth ball at their 15 with 3:17
1:22 Roe scrambling finds Carr wide open for a 60 yard TD pass 34-27 Trojans
:58 Waverly 1st and 10 at the 11 after a couple nice passes to Futhey and Morrison.
:49 11 YD TD pass to Futhey - WAIT, illegal man downfield. 1st and 15 and the 16.
:45 16 YD TD pass to Morrison. 2pt conversion run to Crabtree on the option pitch from Wade Futhey. Tigers up 35-34
:39 Portsmouth starts final drive at their 36.
A penalty had them 2nd and 36 at the 10 with :26 to play
Pass to Carr to the 34 made it 3rd and 12
Pass to Pendleton to the 50 made it 1st and 10 with :06 for one final play.
Pass to the end zone was short and picked by Morrison.

WHAT A GREAT GAME!

Portsmouth came with a great game plan and was prepared. The INT in the end zone at the end of the first with Waverly going in for the score was huge.
The pick 6 by Pendleton with 9:48 of the 2nd put Portsmouth up 14-7 and was a very big play. Read it and jumped the route.

Waverly scores with 7:10 of the 3rd to go ahead and misses the PAT 27-21
Portsmouth scores with 4:21 of the third and the PAT is blocked 27-27

Portsmouth will be a tough out for anyone they face from here on out.
Waverly is the walking wounded and some of those guys just gutted it out long enough to get the win!
Waverly will have to get some guys healthy somehow someway for the game next week against West.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Trojans on one heck of an effort.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Wow what a game. Outcome wasn’t what I had wished, but fun game to watch. Both teams left it all on the field. Waverly passing game is the real deal. Portsmouth may not have won, but they proved they can certainly play with upper level competition this year. Is it weird to get beat but feel good about the game? Couple home games up next for the Trojans against Peake & CG before they travel to Fairland. Good luck to Waverly the rest of the season. Time for the Trojans to bounce back next week, don’t get hung up on the heart breaker. Those points would’ve been nice for the playoffs. Go Trojans!

Who Dey!
BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

CAT21 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 pm
BigGame99 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:54 pm Trojan timeout....ball on their own 34....13 seconds
Couple wks ago people had fairland winning vs portsmouth.

Not. So. Fast.
I still think it’ll be a game, Portsmouth is going to have to play hard like they did tonight and Fairland is going to have to play hard like they did at ironton.
Yup. Real good game.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

LetsBeReal wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:51 pm
Kicker. wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 pm

What drive me nuts is that the deep ball was there all night and we stayed away from it. The safety seemed to stay in a bubble 15- 20 yards down field and didn’t stay with the wr. Many missed opportunities. On the other side I was proud of Marquez. He had a really good game in coverage.

The run game with more variation than 10 yd gain and repeat was there too.

Playcall was the worst I’ve seen in years and they still won.
Took guts for that 2pt Conversion and was masterful.

I agree with the deep ball it’s there both Morrison and Futhey have great ball tracking and Wade can get it there. I think the offense can simplify some things and made better adjustments. One step at a time

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 pm Great game to watch. Heart breaking loss for the Trojans. Congrats to Waverly on the win. I’m very proud of the effort from Portsmouth tonight. Defense gave up points but honestly played well. Run defense was good again, much improved like I stated. Secondary did what they could. Waverly WR’s are big, good hands. Legit playmakers out there they have. Few bad calls went against both teams. Nothing I’m going to whine about and blame the loss on. I will say that kickoff after the Trojans took the lead was terrible. I know the squib was the better call, but it had no bounce to it, and they started with the ball basically at midfield. Not saying it changes the outcome, but that definitely hurt. Waverly is a good team, I’m not sure they are night and day 3 TD’s better than Portsmouth like many thought or still think. This game was definitely a win win for both schools. Will help come playoff time. Good luck to the Tigers the rest of the season. Hopefully they can get some fluids in them and get their legs back under them after a week off, I’ve never seen so many cramps lol.

Waverly doing what they are supposed to would still be 3 td favorites. I’m not being a homer. I very well knew with the style they play Portsmouth could of won and stated so.This whole game felt lackluster from Waverly apart from first 2 drives in second half and final drive. They stepped up when needed. Wade Futhey made some big mistakes early on and finished very strong. He bounced back well. Was concerned early on but after seeing his resilience and poise those worries were erased.

It’s not taking any kind of shot against Portsmouth. Waverly stopped themselves a lot tonight. Uncharacteristically bad play calling. Waverly is hardly out-coached and I felt like tonight they were by a good margin. Portsmouth did extremely well in short yardage situations on defense. Won the turnover battle. Had players make big plays. They did almost everything they were supposed to to win outside of a bonehead unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and still lost.

But yes I was saying thank you after that kickoff. 1:22 is enough time for Waverly to put a drive together from anywhere on the field much less almost midfield.

It’s as simple as this.Waverly’s ceiling is much higher. But Portsmouth is still good enough to win and you saw that tonight.

Portsmouth should be proud. I sure am for you guys.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 pm Wow what a game. Outcome wasn’t what I had wished, but fun game to watch. Both teams left it all on the field. Waverly passing game is the real deal. Portsmouth may not have won, but they proved they can certainly play with upper level competition this year. Is it weird to get beat but feel good about the game? Couple home games up next for the Trojans against Peake & CG before they travel to Fairland. Good luck to Waverly the rest of the season. Time for the Trojans to bounce back next week, don’t get hung up on the heart breaker. Those points would’ve been nice for the playoffs. Go Trojans!
Heck no. Portsmouth shut up a lot of people. I felt this way after the Waverly loss to Clinton-Massie last year. Portsmouth is for real. Can make noise in playoffs if the progression continues.

Loved seeing Roe play. Home run threat with legs and arm. That can be real trouble.

Return to “Football”