Waverly at Portsmouth it can happen now!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly at Portsmouth it can happen now!!!

Post by smurray »

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:09 am
smurray wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:00 am Someone tell smurray not to forget to mention Waverly has played 1 less game. Highly classified info
If stats are going to be shared like that for comparison purposes it needs to be put in the correct context - that’s all I was doing. Two posts were made so I had to do it twice.

Roe has sit out a couple quarters when we had large leads how about waverly qb ?
Ya, I’m not sure when he came out of the Unioto game, maybe middle of the 4th.
Out of the Johnstown game in the 4th.
Miami Trace game was over by halftime, he might have got a couple series in the 3rd before coming out.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

smurray wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 pm
smurray wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am

If stats are going to be shared like that for comparison purposes it needs to be put in the correct context - that’s all I was doing. Two posts were made so I had to do it twice.

Roe has sit out a couple quarters when we had large leads how about waverly qb ?
Miami Trace game was over by halftime, he might have got a couple series in the 3rd before coming out.

Honestly I was just giving you a hard time over the one post , we should see a couple good qb,s in action and portsmouth fans like wavery are just glad our kids have a game we are fortunate and have gotten to play every week ,glad to see you all not sitting 2 weeks in a row do to no fault of your own

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:32 pm
smurray wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Honestly I was just giving you a hard time over the one post , we should see a couple good qb,s in action and portsmouth fans like wavery are just glad our kids have a game we are fortunate and have gotten to play every week ,glad to see you all not sitting 2 weeks in a row do to no fault of your own
Hopefully it’s injury free

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:29 pm [quote=portsmouth_98 post_id=<a href="tel:1951405">1951405</a> time=<a href="tel:1631759611">1631759611</a> user_id=14470]
[quote=greygoose post_id=<a href="tel:1951374">1951374</a> time=<a href="tel:1631756137">1631756137</a> user_id=542]
Well I've been hearing all about how good and improved this Trojan defense is. Guess we find out Friday, Waverly by 3 scores.
That's a pretty reasonable assumption given the physical disparity of the two teams fronts, and the big experience difference. As far as Portsmouth's defense, they aren't world beaters but they are decent against the run and force a lot of turnovers. The reason we are excited is because we haven't consistently stopped people the last 15 years. We gave up over 35 a game last year and from 05-16 topped 30 points 7 times including a terrible 2012 where we gave up over 40ppg.
[/quote]

Nah I'm not taking any excuses laid out before the game at this time. I've said they might be improved in other threads but haven't played anyone with a quality offense. I gave credit for improvement both offensively and defensively only to try to be told i had some axe to grind basically as an outside observer. For me Friday night is put up or shut up for the Trojan defense, hope for a injury free well played game. If Waverly keeps roe in the pocket this will not be close.
[/quote]

You clearly do have an axe to grind. You didn’t give credit to the defense. You wanted to state that they haven’t played anyone with an almighty offense like Waverly so they couldn’t possibly be improved. I called you out on that and told you no they are improved. Idc if they were playing South Webster 5th grade team, the difference in tackling, containment, coverage, aggression, physicality is night and day different than in the last few years. Some reason you don’t understand that and think they have to shut out Waverly to prove that it’s an improved unit. Also btw they won’t keep Roe in the pocket…he doesn’t throw standing in the pocket.

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:29 pm [quote=portsmouth_98 post_id=<a href="tel:1951405">1951405</a> time=<a href="tel:1631759611">1631759611</a> user_id=14470]
[quote=greygoose post_id=<a href="tel:1951374">1951374</a> time=<a href="tel:1631756137">1631756137</a> user_id=542]
Well I've been hearing all about how good and improved this Trojan defense is. Guess we find out Friday, Waverly by 3 scores.
That's a pretty reasonable assumption given the physical disparity of the two teams fronts, and the big experience difference. As far as Portsmouth's defense, they aren't world beaters but they are decent against the run and force a lot of turnovers. The reason we are excited is because we haven't consistently stopped people the last 15 years. We gave up over 35 a game last year and from 05-16 topped 30 points 7 times including a terrible 2012 where we gave up over 40ppg.
Nah I'm not taking any excuses laid out before the game at this time. I've said they might be improved in other threads but haven't played anyone with a quality offense. I gave credit for improvement both offensively and defensively only to try to be told i had some axe to grind basically as an outside observer. For me Friday night is put up or shut up for the Trojan defense, hope for a injury free well played game. If Waverly keeps roe in the pocket this will not be close.
[/quote]

You clearly do have an axe to grind. You didn’t give credit to the defense. You wanted to state that they haven’t played anyone with an almighty offense like Waverly so they couldn’t possibly be improved. I called you out on that and told you no they are improved. Idc if they were playing South Webster 5th grade team, the difference in tackling, containment, coverage, aggression, physicality is night and day different than in the last few years. Some reason you don’t understand that and think they have to shut out Waverly to prove that it’s an improved unit. Also btw they won’t keep Roe in the pocket…he doesn’t throw standing in the pocket.
[/quote]

This game comes down to running the football. If one team can keep the other offense off the field they win!!!

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

fanatic23 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:29 pm
[/quote]

This game comes down to running the football. If one team can keep the other offense off the field they win!!!
[/quote]

I think it comes to the turnover battle. Waverly is overall better but at the same time if they have a 4-5 turnover game it could be a blowout.

Fast scoring offenses suffer much worse from turnovers. Games can get out of hand quick

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh heck no he doesn't throw from the pocket that's why I said if you keep him in the pocket which with Waverly's DE they can, this game isn't close. Again not taking any explanations at that point for their defense, I hope it's improved but if you can't be honest with yourself in saying this is our first TRUE test then there's no helping ya. Didn't they just play South Websters 5th grade team, played Rock Hill last week didn't ya?? :lol: Sorry I had to, you lobbed that one in there.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:46 pm
[/quote]

Oh heck no he doesn't throw from the pocket that's why I said if you keep him in the pocket which with Waverly's DE they can, this game isn't close. Again not taking any explanations at that point for their defense, I hope it's improved but if you can't be honest with yourself in saying this is our first TRUE test then there's no helping ya. Didn't they just play South Websters 5th grade team, played Rock Hill last week didn't ya?? :lol: Sorry I had to, you lobbed that one in there.
[/quote]

No I completely agree with you, they haven’t been tested yet. Valley was pretty one dimensional. West I believe has a good offense, but it’s not even close to Waverly. DP had probably the fastest kid they will see all season, but their offense was terrible. RH is well the Hankins kid away from maybe worse than South Point. This will also be the first true test against an above average defense as well. Suppose we will find out in less then 24 hours if the improvement I have seen is just competition based or actually an improvement.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

GalliaTribe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:08 pm When and what time? Can it be live stream?
Waverly streams free on their YouTube page:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCqo8k-VQivcgYx-hiEkpmg

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Props to Portsmouth for stepping up and playing this one. Think Waverly gets the win here, but this game will help Portsmouth come playoff time. Also, Coach Kalb has that program trending in the right direction which is good to see.*

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth defense has played a lot better but the teams have not been great. It will be interesting to see how the kids react to a team moving the ball on them and scoring. Portsmouth can win but waverly is going to score points. There is a huge difference between rock hill offense and waverly. Waverly would easily beat gallia in my opinion.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Waverly has played no one either

They’ve scored a bunch of points against bad to average teams. Johnstown Is winless hasn’t competed in another game. Unioto’s one win is Huntington by 3. Miami Trace’s three teams they’ve beaten have a combined 3 wins

IMO Waverly is an average team with one above average player (Futhey). Keep him in check and Waverly struggles. Waverly defense hasn’t been tested at all

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:23 pm Waverly has played no one either

They’ve scored a bunch of points against bad to average teams. Johnstown Is winless hasn’t competed in another game. Unioto’s one win is Huntington by 3. Miami Trace’s three teams they’ve beaten have a combined 3 wins

IMO Waverly is an average team with one above average player (Futhey). Keep him in check and Waverly struggles. Waverly defense hasn’t been tested at all
Average team? I bet 95 % of Southern Ohio would be love to be that average. Futhey has not had that great of a year tbh, the dude is legit and gets majority of the attention from other teams. He’s D1, so he should. Morrison is avg 24 yards per reception with 6 tds on 3 games. Waverly has a lot more “above average” players than Futhey.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

SW, @Beergogglebluez ,

Both teams having high powered offenses and untested defenses makes Portsmouth at Waverly an intriguing matchup. The "winner" in all of this are the players who get a chance to compete.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Omega wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm

SW, @Beergogglebluez ,

Both teams having high powered offenses and untested defenses makes Portsmouth at Waverly an intriguing matchup. The "winner" in all of this are the players who get a chance to compete.
No doubt. What happens if this game turns out like 14-10 lol.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Average team? I bet 95 % of Southern Ohio would be love to be that average. Futhey has not had that great of a year tbh, the dude is legit and gets majority of the attention from other teams. He’s D1, so he should. Morrison is avg 24 yards per reception with 6 tds on 3 games. Waverly has a lot more “above average” players than Futhey.
I think I gave props to Mr Futhey. He is legit. Other than him average. It seems the last couple years that Waverly fans want the area to think of them as world beaters when they aren’t. The current senior class is good in football and basketball and have been since middle school carried by Futhey and Robertson in basketball. With that talent they have one one gold football and no conference titles in basketball. Couple decent runs in the playoffs and tournament but nothing special. They are average

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:14 pm

I think I gave props to Mr Futhey. He is legit. Other than him average. It seems the last couple years that Waverly fans want the area to think of them as world beaters when they aren’t. The current senior class is good in football and basketball and have been since middle school carried by Futhey and Robertson in basketball. With that talent they have one one gold football and no conference titles in basketball. Couple decent runs in the playoffs and tournament but nothing special. They are average
Waverly has made the playoffs every year from 2016 to current day, the basketball team has consistently been in the hunt for district too since 2018

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

So in your own words.”they are average” “they have scored a bunch of points vs bad to average teams”

What is your threshold for average?

Is it 1-3 to state runner ups?

You sound foolish.

Waverly is good-very good. Yet to be seen

Saying anything else is laughable.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Average compared to what? I don’t believe any Waverly fan thinks they are “world beaters”. Any fan that knows anything about the area sports, knows that Waverly has come up short in some occasions where maybe they should’ve/could’ve accomplished more. They have become more competitive and even beaten burg on more consistent occasions than in the past (basketball and football). Do I think that Waverly fans believe they are better than Burg now because of that? No I don’t. Burg still owns the SOC 2 until other teams can consistently win the league. But Waverly is trying to continue to get better and work to that point. The majority of football programs in our area would love to have the success the Tigers have been able to have the last 5 years. They have come a long way from where they were but they are not satisfied overall as a program and want more. So maybe it comes off as Waverly fans are pounding their chests, but I don’t think they are. I believe they are just proud of how far they’ve come and want to enjoy it.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Average compared to what? I don’t believe any Waverly fan thinks they are “world beaters”. Any fan that knows anything about the area sports, knows that Waverly has come up short in some occasions where maybe they should’ve/could’ve accomplished more. They have become more competitive and even beaten burg on more consistent occasions than in the past (basketball and football). Do I think that Waverly fans believe they are better than Burg now because of that? No I don’t. Burg still owns the SOC 2 until other teams can consistently win the league. But Waverly is trying to continue to get better and work to that point. The majority of football programs in our area would love to have the success the Tigers have been able to have the last 5 years. They have come a long way from where they were but they are not satisfied overall as a program and want more. So maybe it comes off as Waverly fans are pounding their chests, but I don’t think they are. I believe they are just proud of how far they’ve come and want to enjoy it.
Agree…good post.

Return to “Football”