A new conference?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: A new conference?

Post by Crab's Brother »

BigGame99 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:58 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:31 am I am very football biased (as most are) but there are over a dozen other sports to consider. It makes for good message board discussion, but none of it is based in reality.
Possibly. But why would other sports be an issue? What would be the issues?
Portsmouth West can compete most years in that league in football.

Will their girls teams?

What is the farthest West has to travel for a Monday night girls basketball game in the SOC? 45 minutes?

You think they want to increase that to over an hour to some of the schools?

There are tons of other things to consider with leagues besides 10 game football seasons.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

over an hour and 50 minutes from portsmouth west to logan. What is the earliest a team would be able to get a bus after all the routes taking kids home? What time does the sun set in the spring, would baseball or softball be able to complete a game? one time long trips for games is one thing. Traveling like that for most games, not easily done.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

BigGame99 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm
BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am We see these new conference talks almost every year on here it seems like, and in a perfect world it would be nice! However, most schools aren't going to want a dogfight every single game their in. Also with HS, some teams can stay consistently good year in and year out, but your team may be on a down year 1-2 years and won't want to face a "powerhouse" each week.

You also have to consider sports outside of football as well with who's solid each year plus travel purposes. You have a weeknight ball game, not many people want to make the 1 hr 40 min drive from Fairland to Chillicothe on a Tuesday night or any hour+ trip you could pick and choose between this list of teams.

Would sure be cool to see, but realistically would never happen
I really still dont get that. An hour 40 is a hop skip. It's almost like people view travel like it is still 1984. A two hour trip is a work commute in traffic in my city not a trip lol. Anyway. I just don't see how it's not feasible.
I mean that may not be a problem for a select handful of people but when you have to travel just under 2 hours to watch a game on a weeknight and not get home till 11 pm or later then turn around and get up for work super early, that's how it's not feasible. Most fans will want to travel to watch their team play but a long drive on a weeknight does make things tricky, especially when you have younger ones too that need to be in bed at a decent hour for school. Lots of factors, travel time is just one of them.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

transplant wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:17 pm over an hour and 50 minutes from portsmouth west to logan. What is the earliest a team would be able to get a bus after all the routes taking kids home? What time does the sun set in the spring, would baseball or softball be able to complete a game? one time long trips for games is one thing. Traveling like that for most games, not easily done.
Very good point! Many different factors to take in. Again, in a perfect world this would be awesome! But in reality, not doable.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly, you said it well too. Sounds good, just not practical sometimes.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:20 pm
BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am We see these new conference talks almost every year on here it seems like, and in a perfect world it would be nice! However, most schools aren't going to want a dogfight every single game their in. Also with HS, some teams can stay consistently good year in and year out, but your team may be on a down year 1-2 years and won't want to face a "powerhouse" each week.

You also have to consider sports outside of football as well with who's solid each year plus travel purposes. You have a weeknight ball game, not many people want to make the 1 hr 40 min drive from Fairland to Chillicothe on a Tuesday night or any hour+ trip you could pick and choose between this list of teams.

Would sure be cool to see, but realistically would never happen
I really still dont get that. An hour 40 is a hop skip. It's almost like people view travel like it is still 1984. A two hour trip is a work commute in traffic in my city not a trip lol. Anyway. I just don't see how it's not feasible.
I mean that may not be a problem for a select handful of people but when you have to travel just under 2 hours to watch a game on a weeknight and not get home till 11 pm or later then turn around and get up for work super early, that's how it's not feasible. Most fans will want to travel to watch their team play but a long drive on a weeknight does make things tricky, especially when you have younger ones too that need to be in bed at a decent hour for school. Lots of factors, travel time is just one of them.
Idk about that either honestly. I work 12, 13 hr days. Am up til 1 or 2 am and right back up and ready for work in the am. It just sounds like a bit of an old fashioned sentiment. And as for the kids... lol do u remember what being a freshman in college is like? They'll be fine.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

Also: parents dont have to attend every game. Were not little house on the prarrie anymore. Family don't have to be attached at the hip. In most families everyone in the home are somewhere different, dojng different things or fulfilling diff commitments. It's ok. Trust me.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

BigGame99 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:45 pm

Idk about that either honestly. I work 12, 13 hr days. Am up til 1 or 2 am and right back up and ready for work in the am. It just sounds like a bit of an old fashioned sentiment. And as for the kids... lol do u remember what being a freshman in college is like? They'll be fine.
Sounds like you better get things up and running then! lol you're a different breed. Parents, families, the community like to go to games to root their kids on. But you have to think logically. Football, sure probably wouldn't be an issue. The other 10-12 sports your school has, not as doable. I also said younger kids, who have bedtimes for school, etc. not freshman in college.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Sounds like you better get things up and running then! lol you're a different breed. Parents, families, the community like to go to games to root their kids on. But you have to think logically. Football, sure probably wouldn't be an issue. The other 10-12 sports your school has, not as doable. I also said younger kids, who have bedtimes for school, etc. not freshman in college.
Want and need are two different things. The parents do not NEED to be at every game if other things conflict. Let em be independent. It's ok. It won't hurt.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:58 pm

I get where ya coming from though. Does everything in that area still close at like 9pm? 😂

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

Post by ROCH HILL PRIDE! »

BigGame99 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 pm Ironton
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth West
Jackson
Fairland
Waverly
Gallia Academy

Why not?
Rock Hill should be put on this list.

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

ROCH HILL PRIDE! wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:19 pm
BigGame99 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 pm Ironton
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth West
Jackson
Fairland
Waverly
Gallia Academy

Why not?
Rock Hill should be put on this list.
For what? No offense but I see no value.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Just a question and correct me If I’m wrong but can’t you be in different conferences for different sports. I vaguely recall that being the case for some schools.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

LetsBeReal wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:22 pm Just a question and correct me If I’m wrong but can’t you be in different conferences for different sports. I vaguely recall that being the case for some schools.
Good question.

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

Redmen ran over oak hill but just had a bad game against Portsmouth. I look for redmen to win out and make a playoff run.

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

ROCH HILL PRIDE! wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 pm Redmen ran over oak hill but just had a bad game against Portsmouth. I look for redmen to win out and make a playoff run.
You're trolling lol.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

ROCH HILL PRIDE! wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 pm Redmen ran over oak hill but just had a bad game against Portsmouth. I look for redmen to win out and make a playoff run.
But on some real stuff. Redmen football needs to move past the recycled Ironton staff and look to the future. Youth. Energy. Someone ambitious. Just my opinion. No dis.

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

BigGame99 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:25 pm
You're trolling lol.

We going to tommy hawk chop dem Tigers! Fear the spear!!!!!!

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!
BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

ROCH HILL PRIDE! wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm
You're trolling lol.

Kirtland FEARS THE HILL!!

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

BigGame99 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:29 pm
ROCH HILL PRIDE! wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm

You're trolling lol.

Kirtland FEARS THE HILL!!

YES!!! NOW YOU'RE GETTIN' IT!!!!! WHOO! HAA! WHOOO! HAA!!!!!

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!

Return to “Football”