Fairland
Waverly
Gallia Academy

Why not?

Pathfinder278
Waterboy

Re: A new conference?

Post by Pathfinder278 »

I would think West would want to stay in SOC2 with Wheelersburg and Waverly out of the mix.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

BigGame99 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 pm Ironton
Portsmouth
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth West
Jackson
Fairland
Waverly
Gallia Academy

Why not?

Why not? Well I’ll tell you why not for Portsmouth. I’m looking at 5 losses consistently. They would rarely beat Jackson, Ironton, Burg, Waverly or Gallia. Fairland and West are always tough games as well. Portsmouth isn’t, hasn’t been and likely won’t be on the same level as those school anytime in the future. So from a football standpoint this makes 0 sense for the Trojans. I’d argue the same for West and Fairland as well.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Add Chillicothe too. Would love to have them😈😈

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Gallia, Jackson, Ironton, Burg, Chillicothe, Waverly. The others wouldn't do it. And I'm not entirely sure Gallia would, given the numbers they're showing for football participation. That schedule would be murder every year.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am Gallia, Jackson, Ironton, Burg, Chillicothe, Waverly. The others wouldn't do it. And I'm not entirely sure Gallia would, given the numbers they're showing for football participation. That schedule would be murder every year.

I agree with this but I would add portsmouth.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

We see these new conference talks almost every year on here it seems like, and in a perfect world it would be nice! However, most schools aren't going to want a dogfight every single game their in. Also with HS, some teams can stay consistently good year in and year out, but your team may be on a down year 1-2 years and won't want to face a "powerhouse" each week.

You also have to consider sports outside of football as well with who's solid each year plus travel purposes. You have a weeknight ball game, not many people want to make the 1 hr 40 min drive from Fairland to Chillicothe on a Tuesday night or any hour+ trip you could pick and choose between this list of teams.

Would sure be cool to see, but realistically would never happen

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Pathfinder278 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:21 pm I would think West would want to stay in SOC2 with Wheelersburg and Waverly out of the mix.
Not sure I’m following this. You make it sound like West dodges playing good competition

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Im surprised, this might be the first conference post of the year. Usually by week 5 there are 17 post about super conferences

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

I would add Logan as well.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Logan to Portsmouth West, vice versa, would be terrible anytime of the week.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

transplant wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 am Logan to Portsmouth West, vice versa, would be terrible anytime of the week.
I doubt Logan would care. They can't find a league so I'd say they'll take any offer at this point. But you have a point and I doubt West would want to make that haul.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

True for Logan, but yeah, I doubt west wants to make that trip.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Pathfinder278 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:21 pm I would think West would want to stay in SOC2 with Wheelersburg and Waverly out of the mix.
Why wouldn't we? Burg has been out of everyone's league for 10 years, but that doesn't mean we are scared of them. We battled for SOCs for 50 years and been been alot of good battles in that rivalry. We will be on that level again.

And yeah Waverly has been very good the past two years but traditionally we beat them. Or pretty even. Can't change leagues just for a few good years. And we definitely would rather have stiff competition.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I am very football biased (as most are) but there are over a dozen other sports to consider. It makes for good message board discussion, but none of it is based in reality.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Agreed.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am We see these new conference talks almost every year on here it seems like, and in a perfect world it would be nice! However, most schools aren't going to want a dogfight every single game their in. Also with HS, some teams can stay consistently good year in and year out, but your team may be on a down year 1-2 years and won't want to face a "powerhouse" each week.

You also have to consider sports outside of football as well with who's solid each year plus travel purposes. You have a weeknight ball game, not many people want to make the 1 hr 40 min drive from Fairland to Chillicothe on a Tuesday night or any hour+ trip you could pick and choose between this list of teams.

I really still dont get that. An hour 40 is a hop skip. It's almost like people view travel like it is still 1984. A two hour trip is a work commute in traffic in my city not a trip lol. Anyway. I just don't see how it's not feasible.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:31 am I am very football biased (as most are) but there are over a dozen other sports to consider. It makes for good message board discussion, but none of it is based in reality.
Possibly. But why would other sports be an issue? What would be the issues?

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

BigGame99 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm
BigGuy10 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 am We see these new conference talks almost every year on here it seems like, and in a perfect world it would be nice! However, most schools aren't going to want a dogfight every single game their in. Also with HS, some teams can stay consistently good year in and year out, but your team may be on a down year 1-2 years and won't want to face a "powerhouse" each week.

I really still dont get that. An hour 40 is a hop skip. It's almost like people view travel like it is still 1984. A two hour trip is a work commute in traffic in my city not a trip lol. Anyway. I just don't see how it's not feasible.
Kids literally have 45 minute bus rides to get to school every morning in some districts in the united states. But two hours is a trip? I just don't relate.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I like the idea of just one school per county

Ironton
Portsmouth or Wheelersburg
Jackson
Gallia Academy
Chillicothe
Waverly

Very strong 6 team conference