2021 Portsmouth West 28 - 47 Waverly

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Re: Week 6 West at Waverly

Post by SciotoCfootball »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm Surprised at the close predictions. Waverly had a letdown vs a good Portsmouth team and still won. They play very similar.

West had a letdown and lost by 4 scores.

Waverly shouldn’t win this game by any less than 3-4 scores even with their injuries. They have a lot of chess pieces left to move around for the run game. Pass game is as good as you will see in this area. Wade Futhey may not be shanks but he is good in his own right.
Waverly is the favorite of course but West is a lot better than what they showed against Portsmouth. Lots of turnovers and just off night in general. If West can play mistake free and get on the scoreboard early I wouldnt be so quick to expect a 3-4 score game.. but if Waverly starts going for big shots early and often then I could see things being a little different. Still a little unsure on West defending the big pass plays but only seen two games this year.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 pm
LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm Surprised at the close predictions. Waverly had a letdown vs a good Portsmouth team and still won. They play very similar.

Waverly shouldn’t win this game by any less than 3-4 scores even with their injuries. They have a lot of chess pieces left to move around for the run game. Pass game is as good as you will see in this area. Wade Futhey may not be shanks but he is good in his own right.
Waverly is the favorite of course but West is a lot better than what they showed against Portsmouth. Lots of turnovers and just off night in general. If West can play mistake free and get on the scoreboard early I wouldnt be so quick to expect a 3-4 score game.. but if Waverly starts going for big shots early and often then I could see things being a little different. Still a little unsure on West defending the big pass plays but only seen two games this year.

Yeah it’s not calling west bad. 3-4 scores isn’t 5-6 . 21-28 can happen very quick for a passing attack like Waverly.
Waverly had a bad game and still beat Portsmouth.

If Waverly would of taken care of business you would see people saying Waverly by as many as they want.

I can see this being a 1-2 score game but not likely.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm
SciotoCfootball wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Yeah it’s not calling west bad. 3-4 scores isn’t 5-6 . 21-28 can happen very quick for a passing attack like Waverly.
Waverly had a bad game and still beat Portsmouth.

If Waverly would of taken care of business you would see people saying Waverly by as many as they want.

I can see this being a 1-2 score game but not likely.
Best shot for West is keeping that Waverly offense off the field. If they can control the clock and establish a steady rush attack I would run at Futhey and Morrison all night to try and wear them down so they wont be as much of a deep threat on offense.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

If you watched the west - portsmouth game it was not a blowout. In the 4th quarter, you never had a feeling West would lose. Even after 4 turnovers. Portsmouth made a great goaline stand and the air was deflated.

I don't know if Waverly has seen a running team like West. Sissel is a bruiser. And an experienced Qb that is good enough to pop off for a big one. If Waverly is as wounded as it sounds, their might be some surprised faces in Pike County.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

neutral field
[2021] Waverly (OH) 38, [2021] Portsmouth West (West Portsmouth, OH) 14

Waverly’s offensive firepower is not hobbled. What makes them good is still in place.

Waverly is just thin and can’t afford injuries at RB. A whole week to figure that out.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:08 pm neutral field
[2021] Waverly (OH) 38, [2021] Portsmouth West (West Portsmouth, OH) 14

Waverly’s offensive firepower is not hobbled. What makes them good is still in place.

Waverly is just thin and can’t afford injuries at RB. A whole week to figure that out.
Waverly giving 24? Yeah I'd take that all day.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

You can’t compare scores in football and Portsmouth is not 28 points better than West. West lost 5 fumbles (1 was returned or a touchdown) and 1 interception (returned for touchdown).

Basically Portsmouth’s offense scored 21 points and West was stopped inside the 1 after a terrible aiding the runner penalty and fumbled inside the 1 so they probably should have had 21 themselves

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Sounds like both teams had their worst game against Portsmouth and that’s a 28 point margin

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:36 pm Sounds like both teams had their worst game against Portsmouth and that’s a 28 point margin
You go with that logic.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:44 pm
LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:36 pm Sounds like both teams had their worst game against Portsmouth and that’s a 28 point margin
You go with that logic.
I will. Waverly is 3-4 TD Favorites. It can be a closer game If stuff happens. Or it can be another year of Waverly having 42 quickly and resting.But if Waverly plays good that’s what they will win by. Waverly has taken beatings from West in the past. Tables have turned. I in no way think west is a bad team. I have defended West. They are on Just different levels. I don’t know why you take it personal.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:54 pm
You go with that logic.
I will. Waverly is 3-4 TD Favorites. It can be a closer game If stuff happens. Or it can be another year of Waverly having 42 quickly and resting.But if Waverly plays good that’s what they will win by. Waverly has taken beatings from West in the past. Tables have turned. I in no way think west is a bad team. I have defended West. They are on Just different levels. I don’t know why you take it personal.
I'm not taking it personally at all. I can see Waverly winning. Match ups are key, and they favor Waverly in this one. We aren't, and never have been a good pass coverage team. I just think comparing scores is bad logic, especially in high school.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Westfan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:32 pm You can’t compare scores in football and Portsmouth is not 28 points better than West. West lost 5 fumbles (1 was returned or a touchdown) and 1 interception (returned for touchdown).

Basically Portsmouth’s offense scored 21 points and West was stopped inside the 1 after a terrible aiding the runner penalty and fumbled inside the 1 so they probably should have had 21 themselves
Against Portsmouth Waverly threw a pick into the end zone when going in for a certain score.
Next possession Waverly threw a pick 6.
Waverly 1st and goal at the 1 foot line and failed to score.
That’s 21 points - it’s part of the game.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

smurray wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 pm
Westfan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:32 pm You can’t compare scores in football and Portsmouth is not 28 points better than West. West lost 5 fumbles (1 was returned or a touchdown) and 1 interception (returned for touchdown).

Against Portsmouth Waverly threw a pick into the end zone when going in for a certain score.
Next possession Waverly threw a pick 6.
Waverly 1st and goal at the 1 foot line and failed to score.
That’s 21 points - it’s part of the game.
Haven’t even started on the other stuff. 3 fumbles ruled down by contact when at least 2 weren’t.

Pick your poison but you can easily find a way to give Waverly 35 more and Portsmouth 14 less

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I'll take waverly by 2 or 3 scores over West. Some posters are saying Waverly just had a bad game vs Portsmouth, but I watched that game and have to disagree. I think Portsmouth had the speed to match up pretty well with Waverly. I think Waverly was the best team and the best team won but Portsmouth is for real people! Portsmouth will put up points on anyone they play.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:08 pm
LetsBeReal wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:54 pm

You go with that logic.
I'm not taking it personally at all. I can see Waverly winning. Match ups are key, and they favor Waverly in this one. We aren't, and never have been a good pass coverage team. I just think comparing scores is bad logic, especially in high school.
And that’s what you are doing with the Waverly Portsmouth game. Waverlys ceiling is just much higher. It doesn’t always translate into production on the field and stuff happens but if everyone plays their best it’s Waverly by 3-4 tds

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:30 pm I'll take waverly by 2 or 3 scores over West. Some posters are saying Waverly just had a bad game vs Portsmouth, but I watched that game and have to disagree. I think Portsmouth had the speed to match up pretty well with Waverly. I think Waverly was the best team and the best team won but Portsmouth is for real people! Portsmouth will put up points on anyone they play.
No Portsmouth did a lot of good in their own right. They improved as well. No one argues that. But with everything that happened you can’t say Waverly was playing anywhere near their best and coaching wasn’t at its best. Waverly didn’t take advantage of their strengths in the deep game. Portsmouth did a good job at getting pressure on Qb.

The last 2 drives of the game were what separates them. Waverly offense was missing a beat or two over half of the game. Portsmouth wasn’t.

You can’t have an off night against Portsmouth and expect to beat them handily . They are too good.

Have a bad night against Waverly firing on all cylinders. See where that gets you

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Waverly by 14

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Looking at what we did against Portsmouth I believe we should beat West this week. Complete bummer Wests field isn’t done yet excited for them and that community. However if we minimize the mistakes open up the play calling and hopefully find a running back that stays healthy we are in good hands

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I’m sure West will try to run the ball down Waverlys throats but the Tigers are much better at defending the run between the tackles this year. It will be a long night for the West defense if Waverly’s O-line is successful in giving Wade Futhey time to throw the football. I don’t see any way West can consistently cover Will Futhey, Morrison, Stulley, Crabtree and Hurd.

Should be great football weather for this one.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

smurray wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:59 pm I’m sure West will try to run the ball down Waverlys throats but the Tigers are much better at defending the run between the tackles this year. It will be a long night for the West defense if Waverly’s O-line is successful in giving Wade Futhey time to throw the football. I don’t see any way West can consistently cover Will Futhey, Morrison, Stulley, Crabtree and Hurd.

Should be great football weather for this one.
Is Hurd gonna be healthy and ready to go?

Return to “Football”