Week 6: Gallia Academy (2-1) @ Fairland (3-1)

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 6: Gallia Academy (2-1) @ Fairland (3-1)

Post by CAT21 »

Matt77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:10 pm Evidently.. Fairland contacted Symmes Valley about a game.. Symmes Valley declined. Fairland then evidently had a game lined up with East Canton and the Symmes Valley AD/Coach called East Canton and convinced them Fairland was too good and they wouldn’t get anything out of playing the game. So East Canton then declined after that.

Fairland has evidently contacts over 35 schools and can’t get a game.
Fairland is good, but they aren’t too good to play these teams. Is it really worth for these teams to just sit a week instead of taking the risk of a loss on their record? For example D6 East Canton is 2-2 overall, but they had a pretty close game with ridgewood by the looks of the score, and ridgewood is not a bad team. Would it not benefit east canton whatsoever to play fairland? I don’t understand the logic behind it.

FHSBigMan
Waterboy

Post by FHSBigMan »

Matt77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:10 pm Evidently.. Fairland contacted Symmes Valley about a game.. Symmes Valley declined. Fairland then evidently had a game lined up with East Canton and the Symmes Valley AD/Coach called East Canton and convinced them Fairland was too good and they wouldn’t get anything out of playing the game. So East Canton then declined after that.

Also heard Fairland got calls from Johnson Central and bigger schools in Ohio and declined to play. Just hate it for the kids at this point. I’m sure they don’t care who they line up against and just want to play

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

FHSBigMan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Also heard Fairland got calls from Johnson Central and bigger schools in Ohio and declined to play. Just hate it for the kids at this point. I’m sure they don’t care who they line up against and just want to play
if they didn't care they would not have declined any games.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Fairland and Symmes Valley are in the same region? Both in D6. They could meet in the playoffs. Would assume it wluld to go well now

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:09 pm Maybe the 35 schools fairland is contacting are d7 schools like symmes valley. Fairland is good but not a world beater.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:09 pm

Yep. If they preach anybody/anywhere for other schools. They should live by it. I’m not a fan of either side. Just thought trying to dodge someone in your region and then trying to not let them have another game was a bad look

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Matt77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 pm Fairland and Symmes Valley are in the same region? Both in D6. They could meet in the playoffs. Would assume it wluld to go well now

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:09 pm Maybe the 35 schools fairland is contacting are d7 schools like symmes valley. Fairland is good but not a world beater.
Ha they are. I thought symmes valley was d7. I’ll be darn. Surely fairland can find a game I hope. And if symmes valley is calling teams to say not play fairland that’s a crap deal too.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
FHSBigMan
Waterboy

Post by FHSBigMan »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:09 pm

Agreed. I meant the kids don’t care at this point who they line up against and just want to play. Hopefully they can find a game for Saturday, so the players aren’t having another wasted season when there is a lot of talent on their team.

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

I doubt Coach Webb would ever suggest a team not play another one.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

JChipwood wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 pm If a player really wants to play the participation fee is not an issue.
It is more than the fee to play. There are shoes and other gear, gas to and from practices and games, food, not just for the kid playing, but parents who go to the game or to send money for the kid to eat if he rides the bus home, pictures and the fundraising. It gets to be a lot of money going out and some parents just can't, even if the athletic boosters pay the fee. Thankfully, we didn't have the pay to play at RV, but I went to GA, and they had it then and it was tough at times when we were doing sports. Kids just aren't playing sports as much as they did even 5 years ago, and that more than anything is the reason most schools have problems filling teams.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

It’s all about the strategy. It sucks a team may sit but a coach will not take a loss and fall down the rankings and get pulverized by a high seed. I know teams do have some covid issues but I think a lot of this is dodging a loss hoping to make a possible top 8.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 am It’s all about the strategy. It sucks a team may sit but a coach will not take a loss and fall down the rankings and get pulverized by a high seed. I know teams do have some covid issues but I think a lot of this is dodging a loss hoping to make a possible top 8.
At the end of a season a loss really does not cause you to fall down the rankings yes it does slightly but but if you play a 10 game schedule and through 9 games lets say you have 40 L1 points and 90 L 2 points. after 9 weeks your computer average would be 14.44 in your 10th game you play a game and lose. your computer average would be 13.00 if you canceled your last game your computer average would stay the same but lets say you play your last game against a d4 team that is 0-9 and you win the game your computer average would be 13.5 that team would probably have to be at least 2-7 for your average not to go down.

But in reality your average did not go down this is why when i look at regions i always use week 10 divisors even in week 3 or 4 when you do it that way you realize after 9 weeks your computer average is really only 13.0 loosing that game does not decrease your computer average. not playing a game increase your computer average. winning any game also increases your average. the better the team the more points you add. so in this case your final average would increase 1.44 points by not playing beating any d4 team with more then 9 l2 points or 2 wins would benefit your more then not playing.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

adding only 1.44 points to your final average i dont think is worth the risk when a lot of teams when you look at whole season is averaging probably around 3.0 every win. you would actually be smarter to skip a game against a win less or 1 win team then a better team.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

first off the head coach wife has been sick not sure how he holds it together with young kids at home.
the ACADEMY is a place that can't get out of it's own way.
more kids than 1 tested positive
a coach in secondary education is he really going to get a 4 year player from the academy with a subpar schedule
and before you come for believe i already know that there are exceptions to everything i said

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

82nd wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:18 pm first off the head coach wife has been sick not sure how he holds it together with young kids at home.
a coach in secondary education is he really going to get a 4 year player from the academy with a subpar schedule
and before you come for believe i already know that there are exceptions to everything i said
maybe i really need to reread this thread but i only understand about half of this. mainly about " a coach in secondary education is he really going to get a 4 year player from the academy with a subpar schedule"

Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragonsbreath12 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:39 pm
Matt77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 pm Fairland and Symmes Valley are in the same region? Both in D6. They could meet in the playoffs. Would assume it wluld to go well now

Ha they are. I thought symmes valley was d7. I’ll be darn. Surely fairland can find a game I hope. And if symmes valley is calling teams to say not play fairland that’s a crap deal too.

With the schedule SV has played they’d probably get just as many points losing to Fairland as beating the crap teams they schedule out of conference 😂😂😂

Jimbob2023
Riding the Bench

Post by Jimbob2023 »

Rvfan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 am
JChipwood wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 pm If a player really wants to play the participation fee is not an issue.
It is more than the fee to play. There are shoes and other gear, gas to and from practices and games, food, not just for the kid playing, but parents who go to the game or to send money for the kid to eat if he rides the bus home, pictures and the fundraising. It gets to be a lot of money going out and some parents just can't, even if the athletic boosters pay the fee. Thankfully, we didn't have the pay to play at RV, but I went to GA, and they had it then and it was tough at times when we were doing sports. Kids just aren't playing sports as much as they did even 5 years ago, and that more than anything is the reason most schools have problems filling teams.
Most schools have trouble filling teams? I don’t know of any other school with 200-250 boys that has trouble filling a team. Maybe so, but I don’t know of any anywhere in SE Ohio.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

svac83 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:54 pm
82nd wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:18 pm first off the head coach wife has been sick not sure how he holds it together with young kids at home.
maybe i really need to reread this thread but i only understand about half of this. mainly about " a coach in secondary education is he really going to get a 4 year player from the academy with a subpar schedule"
Please explain how Gallipolis High School is an Academy? The definition of an Academy is, “a society or institution of distinguished scholars and artists or scientists that aims to promote and maintain standards in its particular field.“ what special classes are taught at the public high school? It’s almost laughable!!

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

bevo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 pm
svac83 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:54 pm
Please explain how Gallipolis High School is an Academy? The definition of an Academy is, “a society or institution of distinguished scholars and artists or scientists that aims to promote and maintain standards in its particular field.“ what special classes are taught at the public high school? It’s almost laughable!!
i guess i can after you tell the world who gallipolis high school is glad you're a comedian

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

It has always been Gallia Academy, if you wanna know why, do some research, Bevo Webster.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

What is going on at Gallia? Heard all kinds of rumors at Ironton game. Gallia had a few players there with one really big kid. Rumor going around the stands was the big kid was wanting to move to Ironton next year. How can a school that size with the recent success they’ve had struggle to even field a team. Sounds like there is more to the story in the French city.

Return to “Football”