Best Team Ever In Southeastern Ohio

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Re: Best team ever in Southeastern Ohio

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:05 pm Could any SEO defense make Burrow punt :lol:
The defense was so bad, it only took 1 stop to win if you had a good running game. Example: 2014 state championship game. I actually can't remember SEO having any good competition in 2014. I don't think Athens played any competition until they got in the playoffs. I'm not taking anything away from what Burrow accomplished but he didn't have much help on that Athens team. He had some good skill position players but that line was woeful. SEO was down that year with the exception of Athens. I'll take it a step further and say Ohio division 3 that year was down. State champion central catholic even had a loss to an average Perrysburg team.
Last edited by Giorgio Tsoukalous on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:07 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:40 am That 89 Ironton team was special, and man, how we wanted to play them! After beating Cape, we lost to Hamilton Badin, and then they lost to Ironton the next week on a missed extra point. That Ironton team had I think 5-6 guys go D1. Conwell, Cyrus, Coffman, Brownstead, Lutz…that’s going back a ways…I think those are right. I feel like I’m missing one or so.

That team was special. I remember when I heard Waverly had upset Cape...that Waverly team must have been pretty special too! The 1989 season had the best teams and talent in Southeastern Ohio history , and that is a fact!
I agree. I believe West lost to Burg that year 7-6 also. And missed the playoffs.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:10 am 2000 Logan and 2000 Portsmouth were both fairly impressive and loaded for southeast teams. Beat some good teams in both the regular season and playoffs
2000 Portsmouth Nails

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

1985 Minford team was very good.

Lost to CAPE in the State Semi-Finals. CAPE was led by Carlos Snow and Vincent Clark (NFL)
Last edited by Bozo on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Athens had a good offense but no way that team is top 10 all time in SEO. SEO competition was way down in 2014. Ohio D3 was way down that year, and even the D3 state champ had a loss to an average Perrysburg team. Burrow is great and I'm a fan but a passing game is all they had.

allamericanironman
All Conference

2000 Portsmouth lost to state champs
2000 Logan lost to state champs
2000 gallia accademy
2000 ironmen were no match
2000 waverly
2000 pt pleasant
2000 wellston
2000 minford
2000 ironton
2000 Portsmouth nd
Best year seo football maybe ever
This year deserves its own thread
Last edited by allamericanironman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

allamericanironman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 pm 2000 Portsmouth
2000 Logan
2000 gallia accademy
2000 waverly
2000 pt pleasant

It was a good year but does not compare to 1989. Undefeated Ironton state Champs, Undefeated wheelersburg state Champs, waverly was loaded, west was loaded. Seems like I might be leaving a few teams out. Coal Grove was pretty good that year also.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:39 pm
allamericanironman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 pm 2000 Portsmouth
2000 Logan
2000 gallia accademy
2000 waverly
2000 pt pleasant

It was a good year but does not compare to 1989. Undefeated Ironton state Champs, Undefeated wheelersburg state Champs, waverly was loaded, west was loaded. Seems like I might be leaving a few teams out. Coal Grove was pretty good that year also.
Agree state champs are better but look overall too
How were those teams in 2000

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

I followed that 2000 portsmouth team throughout their playoff run. I was there when they lost to Van Wert. They should've won the state championship. 2000 portsmouth and 1993 Ironton in my opinion are the 2 best teams in SEO to not win a state title.
Last edited by Giorgio Tsoukalous on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:58 pm I followed that 2000 portsmouth team throughout their playoff run. I was there when they lost to Van Wert. They should've won the state championship. 2000 portsmouth and 1993 Ironton in my opinion are the 2 best teams in SEO to not win a state title.
Portsmouth could have beat the buckeyes in 2000 lol
I believe Logan lost to d1 state champs Ursuline
Gallia got beat by Percel merian
Last edited by allamericanironman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

allamericanironman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:00 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:58 pm I followed that 2000 portsmouth team throughout their playoff run. I was there when they lost to Van Wert. They should've won the state championship. 2000 portsmouth and 1993 Ironton in my opinion are the 2 best teams in SEO to not win a state title.
Portsmouth could have beat the buckeyes in 2000 lol

1993 Vinton County, and Nelsonville York were loaded that year also.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

1981 Ironton is the best team ever from SEO. All 4 in the backfield went D1. The team went undefeated and destroyed everyone they played. They didn’t make the playoffs because of the strike in Logan. That was the best team in Ironton history and I’ve seen them all.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

XandOs wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:07 pm 1981 Ironton is the best team ever from SEO. All 4 in the backfield went D1. The team went undefeated and destroyed everyone they played. They didn’t make the playoffs because of the strike in Logan. That was the best team in Ironton history and I’ve seen them all.
? I’m too young I guess to understand this

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:59 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:25 am
Ironmen34 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 am
Their defense wasn’t special but they were good enough. Better score about 50 if you want to beat them though

I agree wasn't no one round here beating that team
That Athens team wasn't the best team to ever play in southeastern ohio, I can think of several I would put ahead of that team. They lost to central catholic who had 2 losses that season to 7-3 Perrysburg and another 1 loss team. Lol... we've had A LOT of teams that would've beat that Athens team. Defense wins championships and that's exactly why Athens didn't win one in 2014.
I think that Athens offense had at least 5 D1 players I can’t think of off the top of my head.
Burrow, QB - Ohio State/LSU/Cincinnati Bengals (#1 draft pick, national champion, Heisman winner)
Trae Williams, RB- Northwestern
Zachia Saltsman, WR - Georgetown
Luehrman Twins, WR - Ohio University
Athens lost that state championship game 56-52. If you’re not gonna score 50 points against them then you better have have the steel curtain on defense

allamericanironman
All Conference

Ironmen34 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:20 pm

That Athens team wasn't the best team to ever play in southeastern ohio, I can think of several I would put ahead of that team. They lost to central catholic who had 2 losses that season to 7-3 Perrysburg and another 1 loss team. Lol... we've had A LOT of teams that would've beat that Athens team. Defense wins championships and that's exactly why Athens didn't win one in 2014.
I think that Athens offense had at least 5 D1 players I can’t think of off the top of my head.
Burrow, QB - Ohio State/LSU/Cincinnati Bengals (#1 draft pick, national champion, Heisman winner)
Athens lost that state championship game 56-52. If you’re not gonna score 50 points against them then you better have have the steel curtain on defense
Burrow was the catholic destroyer hung 52 on desales and whooped st Vincent st Mary’s if he had a tad bit more defense

Dam bears figured him out so far

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:15 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:05 pm Could any SEO defense make Burrow punt :lol:
The defense was so bad, it only took 1 stop to win if you had a good running game. Example: 2014 state championship game. I actually can't remember SEO having any good competition in 2014. I don't think Athens played any competition until they got in the playoffs. I'm not taking anything away from what Burrow accomplished but he didn't have much help on that Athens team. He had some good skill position players but that line was woeful. SEO was down that year with the exception of Athens. I'll take it a step further and say Ohio division 3 that year was down. State champion central catholic even had a loss to an average Perrysburg team.
Burrow had 5 other D1 players at skill positions on offense. RB, and 3 WR’s were all d1 players. As for as other SEO competition not being good that year I remember Jackson had arguably its greatest team in school yesterday that year, burg was solid went to week 13 I think, Logan was very tough that year, Logan Elm was tough, nelsonville was good. I would actually say it was a great year for southeastern Ohio football. But when you have the greatest QB in Ohio history he makes you look very very average.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:15 pm
That Athens defense would probably shut out the next best SEO team. Of course Athens smoked Desales who beat or loss close to a week 13 D1 school :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironmen34 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:42 pm Burrow had 5 other D1 players at skill positions on offense. RB, and 3 WR’s were all d1 players. As for as other SEO competition not being good that year I remember Jackson had arguably its greatest team in school yesterday that year, burg was solid went to week 13 I think, Logan was very tough that year, Logan Elm was tough, nelsonville was good. I would actually say it was a great year for southeastern Ohio football. But when you have the greatest QB in Ohio history he makes you look very very average.
That era in SEO was fun. Athens, Zanesville, and Tri Valley all played each other and played for state titles. Jackson, Wheelersburg, and Trimble were also great.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

Ironmen34 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:15 am
Ironmen34 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:13 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 am

I agree Burrow was the best player to ever come out of southeastern ohio, but that Athens team couldn't stop the run. I do think it was the best offense to ever play in southeastern ohio, but they had no run D.
Their defense wasn’t special but they were good enough. Better score about 50 if you want to beat them though
When you have a future number one overall NFL draft pick and a national championship winning qb with arguably the greatest single season for a qb in college football history it’s game over for anybody is southeastern Ohio lol
I enjoyed his 3 picks he threw today.

BigGame99

Post by BigGame99 »

Ironmen34 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:20 pm

So in other words the best team in seo history just couldnt get it done when they headed north either? 👀

Return to “Football”