Week 8: Wheelersburg vs Waverly

callie15
Varsity

Re: Week 8: Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by callie15 »

Is't it great to be a Saterday morning coach , and QB ? I bet you could have won that game for Waverly .

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

And no respect for the Burg coaches and players or the Waverly coaches and players for that matter. Heckuva ballgame. Burg had control and wore down and Waverly came roaring back.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I was totally expecting Waverly to come out throwing the ball all over the field, deep balls especially and it never happened. Burg executed their game plan to perfection in the first half (except they have to score TD's that close to the end zone) by running the ball and controlling the clock.

Then when Burg got up 13-0 Mr. Conservative play caller for Burg shows back up and they tried to put the game on the defense and Burg's defense was getting gassed in the second half, especially the 4th qtr. Burg has done that a few times this year and I just don't get it.

What's also crazy is the amount of people not even affiliated with Burg are saying how the Lattimore's need to touch the ball more!!! Derrick averaged 11.6 yards a carry last night. ELEVEN.POINT.SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's insane!!!! Also, I'm not a relative of the boys. Just a long time fan of Burg, who like everyone in the stands wonder the same thing on how you don't run him more.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:36 am I was totally expecting Waverly to come out throwing the ball all over the field, deep balls especially and it never happened. Burg executed their game plan to perfection in the first half (except they have to score TD's that close to the end zone) by running the ball and controlling the clock.

Then when Burg got up 13-0 Mr. Conservative play caller for Burg shows back up and they tried to put the game on the defense and Burg's defense was getting gassed in the second half, especially the 4th qtr. Burg has done that a few times this year and I just don't get it.

What's also crazy is the amount of people not even affiliated with Burg are saying how the Lattimore's need to touch the ball more!!! Derrick averaged 11.6 yards a carry last night. ELEVEN.POINT.SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's insane!!!! Also, I'm not a relative of the boys. Just a long time fan of Burg, who like everyone in the stands wonder the same thing on how you don't run him more.
Last year I was saying the same thing about lattimore. But in all fairness This year he seemed to be worn down after a run or two. He had a nice run just to be stuffed on what I was sure he was trucking someone and he appeared tired. He seems to have lost a good bit of speed . Not trying to pick on the kid at all. Just surprised he didn’t get more touches. Even if he needs a break between runs he should be used more

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I say it everytime I come to the Burg the announcer is top notch that guys voice is perfect for football and he did an outstanding job.

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

The better team won! Burgs defense played lights out in the first half ! I think they got a little tired toward the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th . But imo Burg was the favorite coming into this game .Burg was just more physical than waverly and I knew that coming into this game . Good luck to Waverly the rest of the way. The Gold football is back to where it belongs atleast a share of it anyways

Burg grad 85
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

callie15 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:05 am Is't it great to be a Saterday morning coach , and QB ? I bet you could have won that game for Waverly .
Sensitive. Nothing to do with respect. I mean if we had it your way then actually discussing football wouldn’t exist.

It’s also great to be a SATURDAY(not saterday) School teacher. Used parentheses to help you.

And no it’s not about one game but more of weeks long questionable play calling. It doesn’t take much(for some of us) to understand football and that it was questionable.

I’ve refrained from saying Waverly should of won. Talent wise yes. But the game I watched no. The game I watched could of been much worse but Waverly’s defense held strong and played great. Wheelersburg Played great defense as well. At Waverly we have watched our offense go against better defenses in the last two years and what makes the offense successful wasn’t utilized.

I can’t comment on burgs offense so I wouldn’t know

Winning last night was about program and team culture and tradition. Waverly had more talent. Wheelersburg put the best overall product on the field. This win started 8-12 years ago.

So who do you hold accountable for Waverlys shortcomings?
Or do you throw out burgs decades of dominance and say it’s irrelevant to have a great program from top to bottom. Their is a reason why Wheelersburg is regarded or hated so highly and so much.

Also should we not talk football on a site for discussing high school sports.

It’s nothing personal. It’s just what happened. You have to have thicker skin. It stings much more to know that you have better players to get beat by a better program. You can’t be so self-conscious. It’s a compliment

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Kicker. wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:05 am I say it everytime I come to the Burg the announcer is top notch that guys voice is perfect for football and he did an outstanding job.
Cannon still manages to get me at least once a game.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Burg played a much tougher early schedule. Going toe to toe with Ironton , Pikeville , and Jackson. They may not have had the sparkling record like Waverly but proved to be a more prepared hardened team.

With 16 teams in the playoffs , tough non league games are the way to go.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I thought burg could have scored a couple of tds in the first but credit to Waverly. They bent but didn’t break. It was a matter of time before Waverly got in a rhythm but credit burg for making it hard. Special teams won this game. 100%

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 am
Kicker. wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:05 am I say it everytime I come to the Burg the announcer is top notch that guys voice is perfect for football and he did an outstanding job.
Cannon still manages to get me at least once a game.

You and I both! Was also surprised at the train horn they had don’t remember that the last time I went to the burg

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Braxton Sammons for president.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

The guys on Burgfan.com call him the Boom Stick. They have some great and appropriate names for the boys. Always enjoy listening being an out of towner.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Amazing how one week Crabtree is a game changer coach with his player development and dynamic offense. Then you loose a game....

Fact is this has been coming all year. Waverly has 2 really good players and a lot good players. They have out talented all the teams on the schedule this year. Wheelersburg was good enough in the secondary to take the advantage away. What are they gonna do starting next year when the advantage is graduated? How are the fans gonna handle that?

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:49 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:26 am Well I was able to sit back and watch this one at the house and there's several things I walked away with after taking this one in. For as bad as Waverly played in the 1st half offensively they were still only down 3-0 at half, missed FG and a stop on 4th down and this game is possible 13-0 at the half. When you have the ball for a little over 5 minutes in a half to the other teams 18+ minutes you've got to feel great about 3-0. For Burg to play as well as they did I'm sorry but you can't tell me those coaches weren't upset about the score at half. At this point Burg had just over 200 yards of offense.

2nd half tail of 2 halves really as Burg was unable to muster any offense with the exception of the go ahead TD drive, if you look at yard totals Burg didn't hit 100 yards and 65 came on that go ahead drive. I know they had a punt return for a TD and it was a nice return but for Waverly why do you have 3 of your biggest lineman on personal protectors on the punt?? I mean seriously if a guy breaks it who are they catching?? Probably a rare thing to happen but it did tonight and they paid for that type of alignment as none of those personal protectors were able to offer any help, so you played 11-8 on a crucial punt return TD.

Let's roll into the 4th quarter and all of a sudden Waverly decides, hey it's Friday night and we've got a ball game right? Waverly's offense couldn't be stopped in the 4th quarter and it was all because of the running game and the defense stepped up and poof we've got a game. The decision not to hand it to Hurd on 4th and 1-2 was just crazy, they had just got the 1st down using the jet sweep with Fuethey a few plays before I don't think anyone was buying that play again that soon.

Final takes--Burg done an excellent job in ball control in the 1st half but a terrible job of putting it away early on, should've easily had a 2 score lead. The Lattimores played great in this one especially the speedster who was the difference in this game. #4 for Burg I believe they said he had 5 pass breakups but when everything is thrown 10 yards and closer at you it makes it pretty easy but he still had to make the plays and he did that. Burg done just enough to win this game which is what you're supposed to do in these types of games. For Waverly, hey if you got off the bus playing like you did in the 4th quarter you blow Burg out of the water that's just the simple facts of things but once again you guys got off to a slow slow start and you don't beat good teams doing that. Not throwing anything deep and not riding Hurd until the end of that game was your own mistake as the young man had over 100 yards and 2 TDs in the 2nd half and simply was unstoppable at that point. Also not sure what you were trying to accomplish by running 5 yard patterns all night long, you've got 2 of the biggest WRs in the area with speed and you don't give them 1-1 jump balls at least 2-3-4 times in the game?? COME ON MAN. Also thought there was some serious safe play calling from an offensive stand point, couple times just handing off on 3rd and 7 or 8 in that 1st half just seemed like you were playing not to mess up. A bunch of what if's if you're a Waverly faithful watching this one.

Couldn’t of said it any better. Don’t Disagree with a thing. It would of been better for Waverly to take little more of a thumping to wake up.

Just to add on the only difference for Waverly from 1st to 4th seemingly being playcall and burgs d wearing down to stop the run. 3rd and 9 in crunch time and you have 2 handoffs.

For the first time in a longtime Waverly was really able to get really good stops on D. And it didn’t take luck or a penalty to finally get a stop. And Waverly capitalized on that by running in passing downs. Worked once or twice but come on. Sometimes you have to use Will Futhey. Wheelersburg didn’t attempt a pass until so late onto the 2nd and where did that get them.

Go-ahead was seeable from anyone that has any understanding of how to actually play the game. You could of stacked 9 or 10 as long as you kept Penn(safety) over the top to play center field for that long pass everyone knew was coming again at some point. Wasn’t busted coverage just got over zealous with the lead

Also blew my mind was that the overused WR screen we have used all season was there in the 2nd half and during the drive before half time and end of game and they are calling plays across the middle and all the way across the hash. I don’t like bashing coaches but something needs to change if they want to go far with that scheme. It’s taken a lot of points off the board because we do gimmick plays instead of one qb sneak behind center or do stuff that Is out of their element.
Waverly didn't play bad in the first half Burgs defense just played better so I would give credit where credit is due! #4 burgs cornerback played lights out on Waverlys reciever #6 imo he should have gotten player of the game. I truly believe that Waverly way underestimated Burgs defense. Plus Burg was the more physical team last night. Great game by both teams it was a classic

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg only kept 6 in the box. They took away the deep ball. Waverly coaches started catching on and started running between the tackles. Credit burg not coming out of it as they lived with it even when Waverly started chunking out yards. They didn’t panic and the front 6 made a play on the 4th down on the last drive.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:57 pm Burg only kept 6 in the box. They took away the deep ball. Waverly coaches started catching on and started running between the tackles. Credit burg not coming out of it as they lived with it even when Waverly started chunking out yards. They didn’t panic and the front 6 made a play on the 4th down on the last drive.
That's how I seen it playing out, Burg mainly played with 6 in the box for most of the game. On that last play though if memory serves and whoever has the tape can look I believe once #6 went into motion there was 1 or 2 extra bodies thrown into the box, it wasn't shown pre-snap however. Waverly had just gained a first down using that exact play just a few plays before only that time they handed off, Burg done an excellent job in reading it and I don't think he gets the 1st down even if he hands off to the motion on the sweep. Waverly's biggest mistake was not keeping it spread out and letting Hurd just finish the drive off like he had the entire 4th quarter, they simply got to cute. Might take a look at the tape Woby, Burg players flew to the ball and made the play but I think you'll find 7/8 were up in the box as he motioned across it was a good adjustment.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

The old guy at the helm is 43

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:08 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:57 pm Burg only kept 6 in the box. They took away the deep ball. Waverly coaches started catching on and started running between the tackles. Credit burg not coming out of it as they lived with it even when Waverly started chunking out yards. They didn’t panic and the front 6 made a play on the 4th down on the last drive.
That's how I seen it playing out, Burg mainly played with 6 in the box for most of the game. On that last play though if memory serves and whoever has the tape can look I believe once #6 went into motion there was 1 or 2 extra bodies thrown into the box, it wasn't shown pre-snap however. Waverly had just gained a first down using that exact play just a few plays before only that time they handed off, Burg done an excellent job in reading it and I don't think he gets the 1st down even if he hands off to the motion on the sweep. Waverly's biggest mistake was not keeping it spread out and letting Hurd just finish the drive off like he had the entire 4th quarter, they simply got to cute. Might take a look at the tape Woby, Burg players flew to the ball and made the play but I think you'll find 7/8 were up in the box as he motioned across it was a good adjustment.
I think you are correct. It did look like the safety creeped up and maybe that made the QB indecisive on the RPO. Because he may have bailed back at the end.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Why does Waverly not field punts instead of letting them roll for an additional 20 yards? I'm talking about easily fair caught balls. It has been going on for years.

Return to “Football”