Week 8: Portsmouth (6-1) @ Fairland (5-1)

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Re: Week 8: Portsmouth (6-1) @ Fairland (5-1)

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:12 am
SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:44 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:38 am I figured portsmouth would win if played on turf, especially on a dry night. But tonight wasn't dry and it wasn't on turf. I wasn't there and didn't watch, but it sounds like the Trojans speed was nullified by a sloppy field ? Is this an accurate assessment ? And my question for dragon fans is: after seeing Ironton and portsmouth, does portsmouth have a good shot at beating Ironton ?
The field definitely hurt Portsmouth. Not saying that automatically changes the outcome, Fairland is good. As far as Fairlands impression of the Trojans odds against Ironton they have none because Portsmouth wont have to play Ironton on that field. Tonight didnt accurately show anyone what the Trojans can do. I cant tell you how many times Roe slipped and anyone who has watched him play knows how much that hurt the Trojans.
A win is a win and sounds like Fairland earned it but I can't help but wonder what the outcome would've been on turf.
Agreed a win is a win. I wish this game would have been on turf would have made for some much better football from both teams. Ive watched each team at least three times and on dry turf id go with Portsmouth 6/10 times.

Osugobucks2000
Waterboy

Post by Osugobucks2000 »

Don’t have a dog in the fight. Portsmouth guys on this thread seem to be making some excuses. Did Fairland not play on the same field?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Osugobucks2000 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:56 am Don’t have a dog in the fight. Portsmouth guys on this thread seem to be making some excuses. Did Fairland not play on the same field?
Maybe you don’t know how football in the rain/mud works? Allow me to explain it to you. Fairland they like to run the ball down the throats of their opponents. Portsmouth they like to air it out. Sloppy field made it near impossible for Portsmouth WR’s to run down the field, as well as for the QB to roll out of the pocket, ya know because of the mud. Not to mention trying to throw and catch a wet ball. They don’t have much of a running game. This compared to Fairland picking up 3-4 yards per carry. You see how it works buddy? Both teams played in the mud, it suited one teams style more, that team won by 1.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:10 am
Osugobucks2000 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:56 am Don’t have a dog in the fight. Portsmouth guys on this thread seem to be making some excuses. Did Fairland not play on the same field?
Maybe you don’t know how football in the rain/mud works? Allow me to explain it to you. Fairland they like to run the ball down the throats of their opponents. Portsmouth they like to air it out. Sloppy field made it near impossible for Portsmouth WR’s to run down the field, as well as for the QB to roll out of the pocket, ya know because of the mud. Not to mention trying to throw and catch a wet ball. They don’t have much of a running game. This compared to Fairland picking up 3-4 yards per carry. You see how it works buddy? Both teams played in the mud, it suited one teams style more, that team won by 1.
So Fairland wouldn't get more than 3 to 4 yards a carry on turf? Seems to me it should be easier to stop them in the mud.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Give fairland credit, they beat a good team fair and square. Good luck to both teams down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Congrats to Fairland on a big win, I picked Fairland in this one simply because of home field advantage. This is nothing new when playing at Fairland so anyone complaining about field conditions can just stop it's an embarrassing cop out because if you didn't realize what it would be going down then obviously you weren't prepared. I thought Fairland up front would be the difference, at least judging by the score looked like a darn good game. Portsmouth 2 losses have come by a combined 2 points, you won't see that very often. Good luck moving forward.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:00 am
RJShifko wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 pm Was an entertaining football game. The refs absolutely put on a show. It was an amazing display of flag throwing. The Portsmouth passing game was as advertised Roe likes to get the ball out of his hand. 3 is the best WR really don’t understand how they don’t get him even more touches. The Portsmouth defense forced the two interceptions and had their hands on at least 2 more Fairlands defense keeping Portsmouth off the scoreboard from these was huge . Portsmouth has a lot of weapons and Fairland matches them with their defensive backs I thought 1 Kitts and 3 Martin were great keeping the passing game in check and really think the difference was Fairlands D Line. 56 Casey Hudson was unbelievable tonight he made a play against Portsmouth in the Redzone on a screen where he kept Portsmouth from scoring. 8 Zander Schmidt was a difference maker tonight with the ball. Tonight he returned his 3rd kick for a touchdown dude is special: Brumfield ran the ball well all night unfortunately Fairland didn’t throw the ball well and left points on the field because of it.
I think the better team won the game tho thinker it was closer than it should have been
Good post, did you see the one ref firing the flag every time he threw it? He threw it 20 yards easily, good way to put someone eye out (happened in the NFL before). Agree with you about the Defensive line of Fairland. They were too much for the Trojans line. Roe was on the run constantly, falling a lot because of the field. Number 1 for Fairland impressed me, not sure who he is.
i saw the score and just knew reffing had to figure into a fairland win

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:39 pm Fairland student section got in some trouble I heard? Refs very questionable. Field horrible, stands suck per usual. This game gets played on a dry field Portsmouth wins by 14, won’t change my mind on that. Better team didn’t win. Am I being a crybaby maybe a little, but Fairland clearly wasn’t the better team. Maybe on this night, and that’s what matters. So good win for them. Fairland announcer also sucks.
there were a lot of questionable signs posted on the walls that actually attacked portsmouth players by name.... tasteless in my mind game day is one thing but not high school games

WrestlingFootball
Riding the Bench

Post by WrestlingFootball »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:38 am I figured portsmouth would win if played on turf, especially on a dry night. But tonight wasn't dry and it wasn't on turf. I wasn't there and didn't watch, but it sounds like the Trojans speed was nullified by a sloppy field ? Is this an accurate assessment ? And my question for dragon fans is: after seeing Ironton and portsmouth, does portsmouth have a good shot at beating Ironton ?
After watching both games. I think Portsmouth is good enough to beat Ironton. The only thing that hurts Portsmouth in that game is a good run game. But if Portsmouth spreads Ironton out and the QB takes off with it could be effective. Will be a great game to watch that's for sure.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:39 pm Fairland student section got in some trouble I heard? Refs very questionable. Field horrible, stands suck per usual. This game gets played on a dry field Portsmouth wins by 14, won’t change my mind on that. Better team didn’t win. Am I being a crybaby maybe a little, but Fairland clearly wasn’t the better team. Maybe on this night, and that’s what matters. So good win for them. Fairland announcer also sucks.
Oh my a lot of bitterness wrapped up in this post.
Refs--always questionable when you're on the road and you lose
Field--Same as always for Fairland if you're not used to that's on you, that's what game plans are for. It's why they call it home field advantage
Stands--Same as above, was you expecting different?
Better team not winning--This can be said on a lot of weeks in football and that's just how it falls.
Announcer--yeah sometimes they just suck.

Bottom line 2 teams same field, 1 team made just enough plays to pull it out. Fairland took an Ironton team to OT and probably should've won in regulation but they didn't and that was on turf so I guess we'll see what the Trojans are on this precious turf they need to play on. Playing at Fairland that is a week where coaches really need to get their team out on grass for the week of practice leading up to it if they're able to.

Osugobucks2000
Waterboy

Post by Osugobucks2000 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:10 am
Now that is a nice well thought out excuse thanks for the update

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I am beyond baffled at the lack of football knowledge from some of you. I’m not making excuses. It was very clear the rain and mud affected both teams. It’s also very clear who it affected more, Portsmouth. Most you of you weren’t at this game so you wouldn’t know Portsmouth couldn’t stand up and Fairland could. Why is that? Idk maybe they are used to playing on a terrible grass field that gets muddy and wet often? They were more prepared for that than Portsmouth because the Trojans never seen grass. It’s not an excuse it’s a fact. Fairland also would’ve been better on turf or a dry field, I never stated they wouldn’t have been. But if they only beat Portsmouth on a muddy field by 1 then to me on Turf they get beat. It’s my opinion you don’t have to agree with it, but you also won’t change my mind.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 am
Field--Same as always for Fairland if you're not used to that's on you, that's what game plans are for. It's why they call it home field advantage
Better team not winning--This can be said on a lot of weeks in football and that's just how it falls.

Bottom line 2 teams same field, 1 team made just enough plays to pull it out. Fairland took an Ironton team to OT and probably should've won in regulation but they didn't and that was on turf so I guess we'll see what the Trojans are on this precious turf they need to play on. Playing at Fairland that is a week where coaches really need to get their team out on grass for the week of practice leading up to it if they're able to.
Ohh look this guy again. Wasn’t at the game, but feels like he knows what went down. I’ll fill you in big guy. The announcer didn’t suck just because he sucked because of how he was acting, you’d had to have been there. I’ve been before and he’s never acted that way. As stated I’ve been before and when I go back I’ll complain about their terrible god awful away stands, sorry that hurts your feelings, maybe you could donate to their program to help get new ones? Refs sure they are always questionable but to miss blatant calls that directly affect the game is laughable. 2pt conversion they didn’t call a false start and should have. Changed the game. Portsmouth had no certainty they’d play on a wet muddy field. If it’s on dry grass they win imo. Also if Fairland played Ironton now they’d get beat by 3 TD’s. I think Ironton beats Portsmouth by 3 or more TD’s as well.

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:23 am

Ohh look this guy again. Wasn’t at the game, but feels like he knows what went down. I’ll fill you in big guy. The announcer didn’t suck just because he sucked because of how he was acting, you’d had to have been there. I’ve been before and he’s never acted that way. As stated I’ve been before and when I go back I’ll complain about their terrible god awful away stands, sorry that hurts your feelings, maybe you could donate to their program to help get new ones? Refs sure they are always questionable but to miss blatant calls that directly affect the game is laughable. 2pt conversion they didn’t call a false start and should have. Changed the game. Portsmouth had no certainty they’d play on a wet muddy field. If it’s on dry grass they win imo. Also if Fairland played Ironton now they’d get beat by 3 TD’s. I think Ironton beats Portsmouth by 3 or more TD’s as well.
I agree with what you said about ironton. They’ve got it together now on offense with carpenter back in the game and I think at this point it would be a tall task for fairland or Portsmouth to beat them. Good luck to Portsmouth I’ll be rooting for them, but they are most definitely the decided underdog.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

You're the one with all the complaints about a place everyone knows how it works, you're at a disadvantage. You can help out your fellow OVC team yourself man, only the guy doing all the complaining should feel an obligation to help. You can be bitter all ya want, didn't know they'd play on a wet muddy field?? ya'll not have access to the weather there?? So if Fairland would get beat by Ironton by 3 tds and Trojans would've been 2 scores better on a perfect field so does that mean your prediction is Ironton by 7 come week 10? Bottom line in the end Fairland--15, Trojans--14. It was a close game throughout and could've gone either way and if you look back I'm sure you can find a dozen plays where things shift the game if this or this happens it's how it works.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

CAT21 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:43 am [quote=BuckeyeBlood post_id=<a href="tel:1958759">1958759</a> time=<a href="tel:1633789418">1633789418</a> user_id=14346]
[quote=greygoose post_id=<a href="tel:1958720">1958720</a> time=<a href="tel:1633781159">1633781159</a> user_id=542]
[quote=BuckeyeBlood post_id=<a href="tel:1958535">1958535</a> time=<a href="tel:1633743583">1633743583</a> user_id=14346]
Fairland student section got in some trouble I heard? Refs very questionable. Field horrible, stands suck per usual. This game gets played on a dry field Portsmouth wins by 14, won’t change my mind on that. Better team didn’t win. Am I being a crybaby maybe a little, but Fairland clearly wasn’t the better team. Maybe on this night, and that’s what matters. So good win for them. Fairland announcer also sucks.

[/quote]

[/quote]
I agree with what you said about ironton. They’ve got it together now on offense with carpenter back in the game and I think at this point it would be a tall task for fairland or Portsmouth to beat them. Good luck to Portsmouth I’ll be rooting for them, but they are most definitely the decided underdog.
[/quote]

Ditto to the Dragons. At the end of the day it’s a game of high school students and I’m an grown man who’s team lost. But I respect all the Fairland posters who have kept it classy. They obviously won because they deserved to win. Would the game have been different on turf or dry grass sure but it wasn’t, the Dragons used that to their advantage, they prepared more for that and came away with the win.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:48 am

You're the one with all the complaints about a place everyone knows how it works, you're at a disadvantage. You can help out your fellow OVC team yourself man, only the guy doing all the complaining should feel an obligation to help. You can be bitter all ya want, didn't know they'd play on a wet muddy field?? ya'll not have access to the weather there?? So if Fairland would get beat by Ironton by 3 tds and Trojans would've been 2 scores better on a perfect field so does that mean your prediction is Ironton by 7 come week 10? Bottom line in the end Fairland--15, Trojans--14. It was a close game throughout and could've gone either way and if you look back I'm sure you can find a dozen plays where things shift the game if this or this happens it's how it works.
I’m going to complain about it every single time I go there. I’ll complain every single time I go to Gallia, I’m not sure why that hurts you that I complain. Maybe I should’ve complain more about Waverly? That darn walk around that track is brutal, you should donate to have the away team shuttled to the stands on that side. Make you feel better?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fairland Dragons on the win.......and to our Trojans for an outstanding effort!! Portsmouth proved NO DOUBT that they will be a very dangerous team come playoff time......2 losses by 1 point to 1 loss teams, both at their place.

The difference in the game came down to the kickoff return for a TD by the Dragons......it was the 4th TD allowed by PHS special teams this season.....that's too many and this time it cost them dearly. From scrimmage play, the Trojans outscored FHS 2 TD's to 1. The Trojan defense played a very good game, holding the Dragons offense in check.

Fairland has a good team.......they run the ball well, and missed on some throws to open receivers, but in the end deserved to win. I applaud Coach Kalb for going for the 2 pt. conversion.......it was the right call as far as I'm concerned.

QB Drew Roe had a tough time getting yards with his feet, yet he still threw 2 TD passes to Daryionne Bryant and a 2 pt. conversion pass. Drew has played well in every game this season......he's one of the main reasons why the Trojans will be a headache for any defensive coordinator in the playoffs.

I'm one who thinks Portsmouth can finish out the regular season with an 8-2 record, and yes, that includes winning at Ironton. I see no reason why the Trojans can't go into the Tank and come away with a W. Total respect for the Fighting Tigers, but the same for our Trojans.

GO TROJANS!!
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:51 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:48 am

I’m going to complain about it every single time I go there. I’ll complain every single time I go to Gallia, I’m not sure why that hurts you that I complain. Maybe I should’ve complain more about Waverly? That darn walk around that track is brutal, you should donate to have the away team shuttled to the stands on that side. Make you feel better?
Go ahead and complain about Waverly, makes no different to me, complain about Gallia if that's what makes you feel better about yourself and these outcomes then rock on man. It's Saturday an hr or so before the Buckeyes kickoff and Friday night scores remain the same, 15-14 just goes to show what complaining truly gets ya, nothing.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

trojandave wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:53 am Congratulations to the Fairland Dragons on the win.......and to our Trojans for an outstanding effort!! Portsmouth proved NO DOUBT that they will be a very dangerous team come playoff time......2 losses by 1 point to 1 loss teams, both at their place.

The difference in the game came down to the kickoff return for a TD by the Dragons......it was the 4th TD allowed by PHS special teams this season.....that's too many and this time it cost them dearly. From scrimmage play, the Trojans outscored FHS 2 TD's to 1. The Trojan defense played a very good game, holding the Dragons offense in check.

Fairland has a good team.......they run the ball well, and missed on some throws to open receivers, but in the end deserved to win. I applaud Coach Kalb for going for the 2 pt. conversion.......it was the right call as far as I'm concerned.

QB Drew Roe had a tough time getting yards with his feet, yet he still threw 2 TD passes to Daryionne Bryant and a 2 pt. conversion pass. Drew has played well in every game this season......he's one of the main reasons why the Trojans will be a headache for any defensive coordinator in the playoffs.

I'm one who thinks Portsmouth can finish out the regular season with an 8-2 record, and yes, that includes winning at Ironton. I see no reason why PHS can't go into the Tank and come away with a W. Total respect for the Fighting Tigers, but the same respect for our Trojans.

GO TROJANS!!
Nice run down, good luck going forward be nice to see you guys head into the Tank again come out with the W. After the last 2 seasons it's been pretty one-sided have to turn it around and be ready for sure.

Return to “Football”