Extra year of school

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Extra year of school

Post by NewEra »

BallDontLie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 pm Kentucky passed a bill like this and each school district had to vote on it. Most schools voted no. Others voted yes and I know there’s been harsh feedback. A 2A powerhouse Beechwood has numerous starters on their football team who are 5th years. Their starting QB was Mr. Kentucky last year and decided to come back to improve his college offers. And they are currently beating 6A teams which would be D1 in ohio. I think you have to be careful with a situation like that because it could create a huge disparity in athletics.
I’m very confident the majority passed it actually.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

NewEra wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 pm
BallDontLie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 pm Kentucky passed a bill like this and each school district had to vote on it. Most schools voted no. Others voted yes and I know there’s been harsh feedback. A 2A powerhouse Beechwood has numerous starters on their football team who are 5th years. Their starting QB was Mr. Kentucky last year and decided to come back to improve his college offers. And they are currently beating 6A teams which would be D1 in ohio. I think you have to be careful with a situation like that because it could create a huge disparity in athletics.
I’m very confident the majority passed it actually.
You are correct. 200 yes 84 no. Interesting that majority of private Catholic schools voted no.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

IMO if this was a concern then the parents of the students should have opted to hold their child back during the 2020 school year. They would have repeated last season, The only reason to do this now, would be athletics, and that is crazy. I am not certain about all areas, but I pretty sure that the kids in the community I live in would not like if the seniors were to play another season, sure the teams would greatly benefit next year, but the year after there would be major consequences. Underclassman would quit.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

What kid would want to do another year in school if they didn’t need too lol. Over sports? Cmon that’s dumb. I’m sure parents/bleacher coach is all about the extra year. I think it’s silly. Football is fun but not fun enlighten you go they another year of setting class

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

This is the dumbest conversation to be having. Are we really going to prolong kids' being in school? I think the whole "holding back because of sports" is the dumbest thing to do.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

We already in some cases have 19 year olds playing against 14/15 year old kids. And I would agree for academic reasons if a student struggled during the school year. Shoot when I started school, you had to be 5 by September 30th to enroll in kindergarten! I was 4 when I started, turned 5 almost 6 weeks into the school year. Started my senior year at 16. Heck, let’s just redshirt all the freshmen and get it over with.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

They don’t let 19 and 20 year olds play in KY do they?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
PiratesLifeForMe
Waterboy

Post by PiratesLifeForMe »

If this was going to be a thing, it should have been done for the class of ‘21 and for that class only. Class of ‘22 hasn’t missed anything at all. Other states passed that legislation and I’ve heard very little negativity from it. A lot of kids need sports for reasons more than just playing the game. Motivation to do well academically is often fueled by the desire to play. I would have been 100% in favor of the 2021 seniors getting a do-over for whoever wanted one, but can’t make a good argument for anyone else.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

The only reason I would let me kid stay for an extra year of high school would be so he could get another free year of college through College Credit Plus.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

The Flush wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:08 am The only reason I would let me kid stay for an extra year of high school would be so he could get another free year of college through College Credit Plus.
Absolutely

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The bad thing about this is the chain reaction set forth by the NCAA when they gave the extra years to current college athletes

There are gonna be a lot of kids in every sport who would’ve normally gotten a scholarship or help with their tuition that will not now.

Not sure how you fix that with D2 and D3, but D1 can be fixed by allowing more scholarships for a couple years. Maybe this would cause a domino effect and help some kids.

Return to “Football”