Extra year of school

NinjaSchoolDropout
Waterboy

Extra year of school

Post by NinjaSchoolDropout »

What do you guys think about kids getting an extra year of school and sports? I think that we all should start calling our state representatives and get this bill pushed through this year. These kids have lost the normal high school experience in school and sports. Some other states have passed bills to allow this to happen and Ohio should do the same. Kids test scores are lower than they should be because they haven’t been in a classroom. Just think how much school they have been knocked out of and how many sports games that have been canceled. I know a basketball playoff has been canceled, a complete baseball, softball, and track season, multiple wrestling, volleyball and basketball games last year and a crazy amount of football games. Not to mention colleges are allowing kids another year of eligibility so that means kids that want to try and play at the next level aren’t getting the scholarships that should be freed up from college seniors playing an extra year. What do you guys think?

alabama mike
SE

Re: Extra year of school

Post by alabama mike »

No, NO and NO!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

And NO some more. Life is never fair and no one is entitled to gridiron glory.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

I support the idea of another year of high school to get kids caught up academically but not be eligible for sports.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

In this scenario where does it stop? Will every class fron here on be given an "extra" year? I am just thinking of the underclassmen that has been waiting/ working for his shot only to be denied because a senior repeats their season.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NO!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team

Post by Pitstop Billy »

Yeah, "NO!"

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Completely dumb. Kids have jobs, military or college planned. It’s very unfortunate that kids missed sports over the pandemic. My senior son a year ago missed baseball, powerlifting and I hated it for him. Maybe academically like someone said but for sports no way that’s dumb.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

emotion-1298793_1280.png

NOWAY

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Heck yeah let’s call the state reps ASAP. While we are at it, let’s lobby for high school kids to get NIL like college kids do. Smh absolutely not. The current group of kids haven’t missed out on anything this year. If you were going to do it, should’ve been 2020 when those kids missed out on so much. Still wouldn’t have agreed with it then either but now not a chance.

slayter
Riding the Bench

Post by slayter »

This is a horrible idea. Unless a kid needs to make up credits to get their diploma, there are way, way more important things in life and delaying joining the workforce, military, trade school/college would be a huge mistake. Missing a year of sports is unfortunate, but this shouldn't even be a idea.

NinjaSchoolDropout
Waterboy

They have been locked out at a couple weeks of class already this year and I think most teams have atleast missed one game or event across the board volleyball, football, cross country, band. Look at every ones records on this site and a majority of them have missed atleast one ball game. They have aloud college kids to add a year of eligibility so why wouldn’t that trickle down to high school just like everything else does. And if you think about it this group of seniors have missed more than the group before them because they are still missing school/extra curricular activities at school. And every high school kid should get to redo a year not just seniors. Just keep the rule in effect that you can’t be 20 and participate in sports. So the kids that have already been held back earlier in school prob won’t be able to stay back.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The problem with “super-senior” high school sports eligibility is it ends up screwing the kids below.

This is something that should only be decided by the folks who have a direct stake and understanding of the matter, the OHSAA constituency of schools. State legislature needs to stay the hell out.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Go to college and join an intramural team. Get more education and can still play sports.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

It sounds like a good idea for the kids but in reality I just don’t think it’s feasible. I think it would just end up being a circus. In the high school you would have 9th grade-13th grade, and I’m sure some kids who don’t play even sports would just want to graduate on time. I know it stinks to be stripped of a game you’ve been playing you’re whole life and some great memories you would’ve made but there’s way more to life than high school sports.

NinjaSchoolDropout
Waterboy

They wouldn’t have to stay back an extra year if they didn’t want too. I just know a lot of kids had problems with the online learning that they were forced into and there grades suffered. It wouldn’t change or effect anything really. I mean how many kids get “held back for school” early in school that or in the 8th grade or 6th grade whatever the rule is now. So the super senior as it was put has always been there more in some schools than others. This is just an extra year if your age would allow it. There is way more to life than high school sports but if a kid would wanna take advantage of this and do an extra year then let them do it.

luvtlm
Riding the Bench

Post by luvtlm »

90% or more of the kids would opt to move on with life. They love to play the sports they play but it's not life for them.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Kentucky passed a bill like this and each school district had to vote on it. Most schools voted no. Others voted yes and I know there’s been harsh feedback. A 2A powerhouse Beechwood has numerous starters on their football team who are 5th years. Their starting QB was Mr. Kentucky last year and decided to come back to improve his college offers. And they are currently beating 6A teams which would be D1 in ohio. I think you have to be careful with a situation like that because it could create a huge disparity in athletics.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

You are supposed to graduate as an 18 year old. Thats how school was designed.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Kentucky did it as an option for all K-12 not just seniors, so although unorthodox that takes away the what about the underclassmen narrative.

Return to “Football”