Coal Grove vs Ironton - Traveling Trophy

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Coal Grove vs Ironton - Traveling Trophy

Post by Rosco »

What is your take on a traveling trophy between the Hornets & Fighting Tigers. Players and fans in these districts are passionate about the game of football and a traveling trophy could add some spice to this OVC matchup. With these schools less than three miles apart it just makes sense.

Any suggestions out there on a trophy for this game?

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Coal Grove vs Ironton - Traveling Trophy

Post by greygoose »

Probably just the Ironton logo would be the easiest, not really going to travel anywhere.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Go to hobby lobby and buy a tiger because it will live in ironton.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team

Post by Pitstop Billy »

If I were from Coal Grove I would want it to be a huge hunk of coal. That would be a pain in the asst for Ironton to find a permanent location for it in their high school building, as that is where it would reside. Maybe buy a tiny stuffed tiger to sit on top of it to get Ironton to go along with the idea. :mrgreen:

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

What about a tombstone? Ironton and Coal Grove are separated by Woodland Cemetary.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

Rosco wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:08 pm What is your take on a traveling trophy between the Hornets & Fighting Tigers. Players and fans in these districts are passionate about the game of football and a traveling trophy could add some spice to this OVC matchup. With these schools less than three miles apart it just makes sense.

Any suggestions out there on a trophy for this game?
trophies are for real rivalries

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

The tombstone is an interesting idea. Maybe the monument company in Ironton would get involved in sponsoring it. The score and date could be inscribed each year.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Half Slice wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:58 pm The tombstone is an interesting idea. Maybe the monument company in Ironton would get involved in sponsoring it. The score and date could be inscribed each year.
Great idea!!

Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragonsbreath12 »

Does sound like a good idea but I don’t believe within the next few years Ironton and Coal Grove will be playing regularly. Ironton really doesnt benefit any by playing in the ovc other than playing local every week. Now that they have their guy in there at coach they’ve just walked through the ovc really. Who’s the last ovc team to beat them? Fairland in Pendleton’s first year I think? I don’t see them getting worse moving forward. Just better and playing these southern Ohio teams doesnt prepare them for the playoff runs they’re hoping to make.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

[media][/media]
Dragonsbreath12 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:57 am Does sound like a good idea but I don’t believe within the next few years Ironton and Coal Grove will be playing regularly. Ironton really doesnt benefit any by playing in the ovc other than playing local every week. Now that they have their guy in there at coach they’ve just walked through the ovc really. Who’s the last ovc team to beat them? Fairland in Pendleton’s first year I think? I don’t see them getting worse moving forward. Just better and playing these southern Ohio teams doesnt prepare them for the playoff runs they’re hoping to make.
Ironton lost to Gallia in OVC championship game Pendelton first year 36-33. That Gallia team was very good and won a couple playoff games in D4. Ironton had a good size lead and fumbled it away late. Other than that, Ironton has dominated the OVC. Like you said. I believe they will continue to get better as they continue to win like they have. They are dominating at all levels as well. varsity, Jv, Freshman, Junior High and good numbers in JFL. Irontons program will continue to get better and better with the work ethic I see from people involved with program.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

XandOs wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:52 am [media][/media]
Dragonsbreath12 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:57 am Does sound like a good idea but I don’t believe within the next few years Ironton and Coal Grove will be playing regularly. Ironton really doesnt benefit any by playing in the ovc other than playing local every week. Now that they have their guy in there at coach they’ve just walked through the ovc really. Who’s the last ovc team to beat them? Fairland in Pendleton’s first year I think? I don’t see them getting worse moving forward. Just better and playing these southern Ohio teams doesnt prepare them for the playoff runs they’re hoping to make.
Ironton lost to Gallia in OVC championship game Pendelton first year 36-33. That Gallia team was very good and won a couple playoff games in D4. Ironton had a good size lead and fumbled it away late. Other than that, Ironton has dominated the OVC. Like you said. I believe they will continue to get better as they continue to win like they have. They are dominating at all levels as well. varsity, Jv, Freshman, Junior High and good numbers in JFL. Irontons program will continue to get better and better with the work ethic I see from people involved with program.
Yeah that was his first year before building what he has, also not sure what you're talking about with Gallia winning couple playoff games they were beaten week 11 that year 36-12. Honestly not even sure when or if Gallia has won any playoff games ever, have to think at some point maybe they did.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:12 am
Yeah that was his first year before building what he has, also not sure what you're talking about with Gallia winning couple playoff games they were beaten week 11 that year 36-12. Honestly not even sure when or if Gallia has won any playoff games ever, have to think at some point maybe they did.
2006 they went to the 2nd round
I think In 2012 also

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

thanks

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

MrFirstTake wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:50 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:12 am

2006 they went to the 2nd round
I think In 2012 also
Gallia also played Waverly in 2019 playoffs and got ousted by the tigers

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

I forgot about that game. I actually went to that one lol.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Their guy in there at coach isn't going to be there forever.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:39 pm

I agree, if pwest would just actually get good at football and have a good following and boosters and people paying enough attention to tht program he just might come home lol

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Dragonsbreath12 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 pm

I agree, if pwest would just actually get good at football and have a good following and boosters and people paying enough attention to tht program he just might come home lol
Portsmouth West is a very well respected program. Pretty good following and alot more wins than most schools. 7th best win percentage in Southeastern Ohio actually. And for 30 years we have looked at the Fairland game as a glorified practice, I dont put much into what you said. And for the record, I never said he was coming to West. He will be at a D1 college within 3 years, that's always been his goal.

Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:49 pm
Dragonsbreath12 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Portsmouth West is a very well respected program. Pretty good following and alot more wins than most schools. 7th best win percentage in Southeastern Ohio actually. And for 30 years we have looked at the Fairland game as a glorified practice, I dont put much into what you said. And for the record, I never said he was coming to West. He will be at a D1 college within 3 years, that's always been his goal.

I’m just saying there’s a reason he’s coaching at Ironton and not West.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

He's not at West because we had a pretty good coach at the time and not really a reason to take a shot on a first year guy. Even though he is very respected in the community, how are you going to fire a guy who won 10 games the year before. It was bad timing and is what it is. No one expects him to come back to West after the early success at Ironton. But like I said earlier, his ultimate goal is to be a college coach. He will be there 3 more years at the max and everyone will be happy for the good things he did.

Return to “Football”