Best Jr. High Teams

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Best Jr. High Teams

Post by art_vandelay »

Burg 8th was just on a different level this year and difference was their QB and skill players. So advanced for this age level and skills that will translate to high school. Their supporting cast was solid as well. 28 kids in this class and the majority of those will stick it out in high school.

As for Northwest, I'd put them on par with Jackson and Ironton from the junior high teams I saw this year. Their running back (#2) will be varsity-ready next year and the 7th grade lineman will be a problem for opposing teams for years to come. I hope they can keep numbers and interest up because that class will compete in high school.

As for the PA announcer, definitely not my cup of tea. I get being enthusiastic and getting your fans revved up, but it distracted from the game and that should never happen.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:24 am Burg 8th was just on a different level this year and difference was their QB and skill players. So advanced for this age level and skills that will translate to high school. Their supporting cast was solid as well. 28 kids in this class and the majority of those will stick it out in high school.

As for Northwest, I'd put them on par with Jackson and Ironton from the junior high teams I saw this year. Their running back (#2) will be varsity-ready next year and the 7th grade lineman will be a problem for opposing teams for years to come. I hope they can keep numbers and interest up because that class will compete in high school.

As for the PA announcer, definitely not my cup of tea. I get being enthusiastic and getting your fans revved up, but it distracted from the game and that should never happen.*
Haven't seen Ironton but have heard they've got a really nice 7th grade group. For the area teams I've seen, Burg, Raceland (I know they're KY but if you seen them you'd understand, they are Burg 8th grade team only in KY), Jackson and Northwest would be at the top of the class for the ones I seen this year, Minford has a couple really nice athletes but that's about it, they were enough to carry them running outside every play. Works in JR High but doesn't translate. Burg and Jackson played believe the final was 27-14 Burg but Jackson got inside the 20 2-3 times without coming away with a score.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:24 am Burg 8th was just on a different level this year and difference was their QB and skill players. So advanced for this age level and skills that will translate to high school. Their supporting cast was solid as well. 28 kids in this class and the majority of those will stick it out in high school.

Haven't seen Ironton but have heard they've got a really nice 7th grade group. For the area teams I've seen, Burg, Raceland (I know they're KY but if you seen them you'd understand, they are Burg 8th grade team only in KY), Jackson and Northwest would be at the top of the class for the ones I seen this year, Minford has a couple really nice athletes but that's about it, they were enough to carry them running outside every play. Works in JR High but doesn't translate. Burg and Jackson played believe the final was 27-14 Burg but Jackson got inside the 20 2-3 times without coming away with a score.
I came away thinking last night the weakest point in that 8th grade burg team was run defense. I think they played Johnson central and lost by two because of how good Johnson central run game was. That won’t matter as much in high school when you can interchange some pieces but that would be their kryptonite if you had to pick.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:40 pm

I came away thinking last night the weakest point in that 8th grade burg team was run defense. I think they played Johnson central and lost by two because of how good Johnson central run game was. That won’t matter as much in high school when you can interchange some pieces but that would be their kryptonite if you had to pick.
That's how I seen things, I thought the skilled players and the number of them made for a major advantage. However up front there was a real lack in size, Burg really struggled to stop Jackson's running game but Jackson would get cute and try to go outside once they got close to the goal line which played right into Burgs strength. My one question might be how much bigger will the QB get? Seemed to be slight framed in nature. Right now they have superior athletes but the plays were straight or crossing routes, it can translate going forward but I do think tweaks will be made to accommodate him.

Also the young man isn't getting any love but the kicker for Burg was IMPRESSIVE. In warm ups he was good from 35, hit from 30 or so from each hash, not just lining straight on.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:56 pm

That's how I seen things, I thought the skilled players and the number of them made for a major advantage. However up front there was a real lack in size, Burg really struggled to stop Jackson's running game but Jackson would get cute and try to go outside once they got close to the goal line which played right into Burgs strength. My one question might be how much bigger will the QB get? Seemed to be slight framed in nature. Right now they have superior athletes but the plays were straight or crossing routes, it can translate going forward but I do think tweaks will be made to accommodate him.

Also the young man isn't getting any love but the kicker for Burg was IMPRESSIVE. In warm ups he was good from 35, hit from 30 or so from each hash, not just lining straight on.
The kicker was impressive. Burg always has good kickers even in Jr high.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:56 pm

You may be right. He may not be able to sit in pocket.
I’d say He will get a little taller. I’d say by looking at dad height. Around 6 ft. Range l, give/take away an inch. I think he will be normal athletic size too. His sister is pretty good athlete as well from what I can gather.

Good point on kicker. As small as that kid was he could boom it out there.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

I wish more Junior High teams would start kicking in the 7th grade. Even if you miss every single one, it is something for them to improve on. A good reliable kicker adds so much to a team.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:37 pm I wish more Junior High teams would start kicking in the 7th grade. Even if you miss every single one, it is something for them to improve on. A good reliable kicker adds so much to a team.
That's a tough ask because it'd take someone with specific knowledge to get them taught up. With as many different training places one can go to, maybe there's a window of opportunity there where someone who used to kick well in HS or college would do private workout sessions with kids who would like to try and kick. Like Woby said that kicker for Burg last night looked like he might be 4-10, :D , I'm sure he's bigger but not much and he had the technique down.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:45 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:37 pm I wish more Junior High teams would start kicking in the 7th grade. Even if you miss every single one, it is something for them to improve on. A good reliable kicker adds so much to a team.
That's a tough ask because it'd take someone with specific knowledge to get them taught up. With as many different training places one can go to, maybe there's a window of opportunity there where someone who used to kick well in HS or college would do private workout sessions with kids who would like to try and kick. Like Woby said that kicker for Burg last night looked like he might be 4-10, :D , I'm sure he's bigger but not much and he had the technique down.
Yeah I mean even having someone with a soccer background would be beneficial to come in and teach. I dont know Jack about soccer but if that was what you were limited to would be better than nothing. Not everyone would end up with a kicker that could hit 40 yarders, but would see improvement. When I was in Jh we had a kid use the square toe straight on kick. He was money. Haven't seen one of those in a long time.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Muskie740
Waterboy

Post by Muskie740 »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:57 pm
Muskie740 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:54 pm Shenandoah is good and their QB maybe the best player I saw at Jr high this year. Marietta had great offensive and defensive lines. Warren had a good QB and some good pieces. Overall, from the teams I saw ( Noble and Washington counties in Ohio and Wood in WV.) 1) Shenandoah 2) Fort Frye 3) Marietta 4) Blennerhassett Middle School 5) Warren. Marietta did beat Fort Frye at Fort Frye so I could accept an argument of switching the two. But fort Frye had double digit bad snaps in that game and made a change at center after that and there wasn't a bad snap with the first unit the rest of the year
Is there 2 Marietta Teams? I know they beat one Marietta team and lost a scrimmage.
FF won the scrimmage and lost the season game 16-0

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Taylormade wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 am Doesnt answer the question lol
He has always lived in and went to Burg.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:33 pm
Taylormade wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 am Doesnt answer the question lol
He has always lived in and went to Burg.
Born and raised here

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

From what I can gather, here are some of the conference champions of the area (all were undefeated in their respective conferences, I do believe):

FAC - Jackson (7-0)
SOCII - Wheelersburg (4-0)
SVC - Unioto (7-0)
OVC - Ironton
TVC - Nelsonville-York

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

NYs 8th grade capped off an undefeated season (7-0) last night after beating Trimble. NY is big for a jr high team and has some pretty good athletes. I believe our RB had 19 Carries for 334 yards and 6 TDs in their last game against Trimble.

rubberbiscut
Waterboy

Post by rubberbiscut »

Manwithplan, South Point MS lost their 3 best athletes to injury. By the end of the year they were on their 4th qb. Try being successful when your without your three best players.. You sure seem bitter about SP by looking at your previous posts.

1993jumper
Waterboy

Post by 1993jumper »

Jackson 8th grade looked decent compared to last years undefeated season. They shutout undefeated at the time Miami Trace and scored 34 on them despite having a size disadvantage. There offensive line is huge. They also have a big receiver who can catch really well, also have pretty fast backs. There defense is also pretty stellare.

Johndavis56
Waterboy

Post by Johndavis56 »

Burgs 8th grade was legit this year
Last edited by Johndavis56 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johndavis56
Waterboy

Post by Johndavis56 »

Number 24can flat out run the ball fast and shifty sees the field very well but he is an even better linebacker

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

They do work hard and are good athletes. Burg 8th and Burg teams from the past 10 years are a prime example of what Pre-K and Pre 1st does for your future athlete. The kids on that team are mostly all a year older. In peewee and Jr. High that age separation makes a big difference. I’m personally in favor of starting kids out in school later. I mean the OHSAA allows them to be 19 their Senior year, So really why wouldn’t you take advantage.

WWE HALL OF FAME
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

MrPerfect wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:29 pm They do work hard and are good athletes. Burg 8th and Burg teams from the past 10 years are a prime example of what Pre-K and Pre 1st does for your future athlete. The kids on that team are mostly all a year older. In peewee and Jr. High that age separation makes a big difference. I’m personally in favor of starting kids out in school later. I mean the OHSAA allows them to be 19 their Senior year, So really why wouldn’t you take advantage.
The Burg “redshirt” program…

It is real and has been going on for decades. The worst example of this was when two kids were held back in 8th grade! And not for academics.

That said, the vast majority are not held back, and over half of those that are (and become good athletes) were held back for legit reasons. Plus, some of Burg’s best athletes actually start school early and have graduated at 17.

So does it happen at Burg? Yes. But this is not common just at Burg, other schools do this as well. And it is not the reason Burg dominate SOC sports.

Return to “Football”