Best Jr. High Teams

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Best Jr. High Teams

Post by greygoose »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:30 pm Northwest 8th grade is good. They have really good skilled kids and the o-line is big and athletic for their size and age. They have a 7th grader that plays up on the 8th grade. He is 6'2 280 and very athletic there's only a couple kids on the team faster than him. Really impressive how athletic he is for his size and age. The kid has truly been blessed and has a bright future.
Heard last night the young man is headed to Ironton next year, that's not me just messing around either.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 am
RBH23 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:20 am
MrPerfect wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:29 pm They do work hard and are good athletes. Burg 8th and Burg teams from the past 10 years are a prime example of what Pre-K and Pre 1st does for your future athlete. The kids on that team are mostly all a year older. In peewee and Jr. High that age separation makes a big difference. I’m personally in favor of starting kids out in school later. I mean the OHSAA allows them to be 19 their Senior year, So really why wouldn’t you take advantage.
The Burg “redshirt” program…

It is real and has been going on for decades. The worst example of this was when two kids were held back in 8th grade! And not for academics.

That said, the vast majority are not held back, and over half of those that are (and become good athletes) were held back for legit reasons. Plus, some of Burg’s best athletes actually start school early and have graduated at 17.

So does it happen at Burg? Yes. But this is not common just at Burg, other schools do this as well. And it is not the reason Burg dominate SOC sports.
Very curious because I haven't heard of any other schools doing it, what other schools offer a pre-1st grade after they get out of kindergarten or whatever it's called.
Pre-1st exists in schools all over the country, but obviously not all offer it. From what I have seen, kids typically end up in this if they had some issue in kindergarten or are young for their school grade and not mature enough to move on. Many schools use pre-k in a similar way.

If interested, there are many online articles about it.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:25 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:30 pm Northwest 8th grade is good. They have really good skilled kids and the o-line is big and athletic for their size and age. They have a 7th grader that plays up on the 8th grade. He is 6'2 280 and very athletic there's only a couple kids on the team faster than him. Really impressive how athletic he is for his size and age. The kid has truly been blessed and has a bright future.
Heard last night the young man is headed to Ironton next year, that's not me just messing around either.
Good move for the kid’s future.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

artisgilmore wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:57 pm
I agree. Very good move if so.

WWE HALL OF FAME
burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

At Wheelersburg, Pre-1st is only available to kids who meet certain age criteria and based on the recommendation of the teacher in Kindergarten. It allows parents to send their kids to Kindergarten earlier as opposed to later and then assess how ready they are to move on at the end of the year. My son went to Pre-1st and will still be 18 when he graduates.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Another ironton kid removed from the depth chart.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

burgbacker wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:20 pm At Wheelersburg, Pre-1st is only available to kids who meet certain age criteria and based on the recommendation of the teacher in Kindergarten. It allows parents to send their kids to Kindergarten earlier as opposed to later and then assess how ready they are to move on at the end of the year. My son went to Pre-1st and will still be 18 when he graduates.
I think they have to run a certain 40 time too, right?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I would be surprised if he did. You never know .

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

wobycat wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Woby,get over it. :roll:

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

artisgilmore wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 pm

He never will. He can't. In reality the #1 thing that bothers him about it is that kids from Scioto County are driving right past Wheelersburg to enroll at Ironton. He's been so spoiled by kids moving into Burg over the years he just can't accept being 2nd best now.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Exactly junk,exactly. :)

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:53 pm
artisgilmore wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 pm

He never will. He can't. In reality the #1 thing that bothers him about it is that kids from Scioto County are driving right past Wheelersburg to enroll at Ironton. He's been so spoiled by kids moving into Burg over the years he just can't accept being 2nd best now.
Funny thing is, if he went to Wheelersburg, there would be some reason that makes it Ok. His cousin’s mom best friend is a teacher, he lives 8 feet from the district line, he really likes the biology program at Wheelersburg, etc.

If the kid and his parents think another school is best for them, good for them. I hope it’s Ironton! But if it’s Wheelersburg, that’s fine too. Not sure why I’d care where strangers send their kids to school.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:13 pm
I would be surprised if he did. You never know .
Sent you a PM

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:39 pm
artisgilmore wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:52 pm Woby,get over it. :roll:
Funny thing is, if he went to Wheelersburg, there would be some reason that makes it Ok. His cousin’s mom best friend is a teacher, he lives 8 feet from the district line, he really likes the biology program at Wheelersburg, etc.

If the kid and his parents think another school is best for them, good for them. I hope it’s Ironton! But if it’s Wheelersburg, that’s fine too. Not sure why I’d care where strangers send their kids to school.
When will ironton have a team of just ironton kids with this coach?

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:38 pm

Every team has someone located from outside the district. Particularly when there are so many districts that close together. Teams/coaches aren't necessarily recruiting because kids are moving into their district.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

The day after Wheelersburg gives back the state title they won when a Portsmouth kid recovered the game winning fumble.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:21 am

The day after Wheelersburg gives back the state title they won when a Portsmouth kid recovered the game winning fumble.
Ok. When will ironton coach coach a team with less than two transfers?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

wobycat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00 am
TigerBob wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:21 am

Ok. When will ironton coach coach a team with less than two transfers?
Oh god probably never with open enrollment laws. Why would the district turn away free money from kids coming in from other districts? That would be really dumb.

Kind of like when an Ironton kid moved to Wheelersburg in 2018! Wheelersburg took them in because hey, free money! Now, I know that’s a bit different, because they moved (wink wink!) to the district, then moved back to Ironton right after the school year, that way he’d be eligible for all games.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

They haven’t had one with the last 4 coaches just accept it

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Everyone knows that coach lutz benefited from Maaannnnyyyyy transfers so did triplet,Vass,Pendleton and so will the next coach that comes it’s best to just accept it man honestly

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵

Return to “Football”