West at BURG

Football fan
Riding the Bench

Re: West at BURG

Post by Football fan »

Pendleton recruited all the “Siders” and took them with him to play with the southern Ohio allstars

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

vladimir wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:37 pm This is bush league no matter how anyone tries to spin it. I don't think there's a by-law in SOC charter that prohibits alumni from working a home game, but it just looks bad. When the rest of the SOC schools start hiring their alumni during Burg week, remember where the precedent was established.
I like how you are leaving out that while Gary Bailey is from Burg that both he AND Jeff Berry were both MINFORD coaches for a combined 30 years or so.... AND only beat Burg ONCE during that time frame might just might be MORE biased against Burg which reflects in how they ALWAYS flag Burg more than their opponents. I personally hate seeing them show up for this reason

BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI
Freshman Team

Post by BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:54 pm
vladimir wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:47 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:33 pm

And if they penalized West and Waverly more, then we will be even.
And if they don't, I bet you'll be the first one on here crying about home cooking from alumni refs. It is what it is---a Bush league move.
I don’t cry about refs. It’s a loser move to complain about the refs, especially when the penalty differential was in your favor. That’s very sad. Something I have never seen before.

Maybe the I’ll-advised onside kick or the turnovers were the cause of this lopsided affair. Again, just a guess.
Well seeing that's you've done about Ironton refs done half this page is cry about something Ironton supposedly did to little burg in their 40-point running clock victory this year. LMAO!! The amount of flags these guys throw against Wburg is irrelevant and totally missing the big picture.

As far as burg stacking the deck with alumni refs for their league games.... It comes down to ethics and sportsmanship. In any contest where the judge of said event is related or has ties to one of the parties involved, the proper thing to do is recuse themselves. The reason why they do this is b/c of human nature and bias = Conflict of interest. If this needs to be explained how and why this is a conflict of interest, then there are much deeper issues of character that we need to worry about.

That's probably why people are willing to drive their transfers 45-miles to Ironton and not 20-miles to 'burg b/c of 'burgs unethical practices and ludicrous justifications in what amounts to poor sportmanship.

Givin' it to ya straight 100%, Your BIG DADDY FROM CINCINNATI!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:38 am

And if they don't, I bet you'll be the first one on here crying about home cooking from alumni refs. It is what it is---a Bush league move.
I don’t cry about refs. It’s a loser move to complain about the refs, especially when the penalty differential was in your favor. That’s very sad. Something I have never seen before.

Maybe the I’ll-advised onside kick or the turnovers were the cause of this lopsided affair. Again, just a guess.
Well seeing that's you've done about Ironton refs done half this page is cry about something Ironton supposedly did to little burg in their 40-point running clock victory this year. LMAO!! The amount of flags these guys throw against Wburg is irrelevant and totally missing the big picture.

As far as burg stacking the deck with alumni refs for their league games.... It comes down to ethics and sportsmanship. In any contest where the judge of said event is related or has ties to one of the parties involved, the proper thing to do is recuse themselves. The reason why they do this is b/c of human nature and bias = Conflict of interest. If this needs to be explained how and why this is a conflict of interest, then there are much deeper issues of character that we need to worry about.

That's probably why people are willing to drive their transfers 45-miles to Ironton and not 20-miles to 'burg b/c of 'burgs unethical practices and ludicrous justifications in what amounts to poor sportmanship.
Nice try, but I never blamed Burg’s loss this year to the Ironton refs. However, I did point out the lopsided calls made against Moeller (12 penalties to 3); that was embarrassing and pathetic.

If Burg refs would have done that to West, then I would agree that West fans were hosed by the refs. However, the opposite occurred. Burg was penalized far more than West in that game. So the actual data and results do not match with the theory being claimed.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Listen I’ve seen a lot of terrible calls the last few weeks in a lot of different games and I usually don’t complain because my uncle is a very respected referee who has done it for a lonnnggggg time state games and all but to complain about bad calls at this point is meaningless.

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

MrFirstTake wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:54 am Listen I’ve seen a lot of terrible calls the last few weeks in a lot of different games and I usually don’t complain because my uncle is a very respected referee who has done it for a lonnnggggg time state games and all but to complain about bad calls at this point is meaningless.
No one is complaining of bad calls. Just saying, it does not look good on any account when the refs walk out and 3 of them you know reside from Burg. Doesn't matter if its burg, Ironton, West, etc. I know several refs and will refuse those hometown games so they don't have to hear it from either side. No person should ever favor another team, but some calls are judgment calls. And when you take just a little bit of bias and then turn it into judgment, it could decide a game. That was not the case in this game. But what if it was.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 am

Nice try, but I never blamed Burg’s loss this year to the Ironton refs. However, I did point out the lopsided calls made against Moeller (12 penalties to 3); that was embarrassing and pathetic.

If Burg refs would have done that to West, then I would agree that West fans were hosed by the refs. However, the opposite occurred. Burg was penalized far more than West in that game. So the actual data and results do not match with the theory being claimed.
The theory being claimed is not that Burg refs cost West the game. The theory is, 3 officials from the hometown team should not be officiating the game, any where. And they should not want to for obvious reasons.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:11 am
MrFirstTake wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:54 am Listen I’ve seen a lot of terrible calls the last few weeks in a lot of different games and I usually don’t complain because my uncle is a very respected referee who has done it for a lonnnggggg time state games and all but to complain about bad calls at this point is meaningless.
No one is complaining of bad calls. Just saying, it does not look good on any account when the refs walk out and 3 of them you know reside from Burg. Doesn't matter if its burg, Ironton, West, etc. I know several refs and will refuse those hometown games so they don't have to hear it from either side. No person should ever favor another team, but some calls are judgment calls. And when you take just a little bit of bias and then turn it into judgment, it could decide a game. That was not the case in this game. But what if it was.
I agree For sure and definitely wouldn’t want to ref hometown games because even if you’re fair more than likely people will say you were cheating 😂

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:14 am

The theory being claimed is not that Burg refs cost West the game. The theory is, 3 officials from the hometown team should not be officiating the game, any where. And they should not want to for obvious reasons.
Complaint about “what if’s” and “how this looks”? All that matters are the results, and West did not get hosed by the refs so this is a big fat nothing. In fact, Burg should be complaining about the discrepancy in penalties. West was penalized the fewest times all year in this game!

Let me ask, would you feel better if outside refs were brought in and West was penalized more?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Are you serious that people are still complaining about refs from a game played almost two weeks ago?? Jesus, get a freaking life and get over it.

West needs to be talking about basketball.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:41 am Are you serious that people are still complaining about refs from a game played almost two weeks ago?? Jesus, get a freaking life and get over it.

West needs to be talking about basketball.
No one's complaining about anything, it got brought up again. It's a forum that's what you do. Stop reading it if you don't like it. We are on to basketball and looking forward to a good season.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:09 am
SiderBlood wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:14 am

Complaint about “what if’s” and “how this looks”? All that matters are the results, and West did not get hosed by the refs so this is a big fat nothing. In fact, Burg should be complaining about the discrepancy in penalties. West was penalized the fewest times all year in this game!

Let me ask, would you feel better if outside refs were brought in and West was penalized more?
Penalties are penalties. False starts and offsides you can't really argue. Burg was penalized more on that. For the final time, no one is saying it cost the game. Their is a reason in college the national championship game and other bowls are officiated by crews outside of both teams conferences. It's a better appearance than nothing else.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

No one from West said we were hosed. And the people that keep bringing it up are not even from West

But yes those 3 guys should not be contracted by Wheelersburg to do games. I was told one of their sons is even a coach at Wheelersburg Junior High.

And if you’re asking yes they are bad. Really bad. If you watch that film they were bad.

And for the guy saying Wheelersburg was penalized more than West, maybe you need to think about that one week apart the same two team’s played again and it changed from West getting blown out to almost winning. Right? And besides West playing a cleaner game what changed?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Funny, that crew was really bad according to you and yet most of them do state playoffs every year. Things that make you go Hmmmm!

Biggest difference in the game was the two onside kicks. West failed to get theirs in the first game and Burg scored. Then Burg scored quickly after recovering their onsides kick. Burg was 14-0 quickly and West never recovered.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:01 pm Funny, that crew was really bad according to you and yet most of them do state playoffs every year. Things that make you go Hmmmm!

Biggest difference in the game was the two onside kicks. West failed to get theirs in the first game and Burg scored. Then Burg scored quickly after recovering their onsides kick. Burg was 14-0 quickly and West never recovered.
I get what your saying and I’m not complaining of the burg and west game but I watched multiple playoff games this last week and their were a bunch of terrible calls so just because a crew does the playoffs doesn’t make them good in my opinion I saw the same last year in playoffs as well I watch a lot of game
Last edited by MrFirstTake on Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

There are always going to be missed calls. It’s just the game. The people on here complaining can sign up and take the class and see if they can do a better job. I umpired for years and you can never satisfy both sides.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

You being an Ironton fan you are freaking hilarious talking about character with the officials. Does the name Mahlmeister ring a bell to you???? They were brothers that officiated a lot of Ironton's bigger games back in the 90's and 2000's. Trust me, there lack of character goes way beyond horrible in what the three officials that officiated the Burg-West game.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Westfan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:52 am No one from West said we were hosed. And the people that keep bringing it up are not even from West

But yes those 3 guys should not be contracted by Wheelersburg to do games. I was told one of their sons is even a coach at Wheelersburg Junior High.

And if you’re asking yes they are bad. Really bad. If you watch that film they were bad.

And for the guy saying Wheelersburg was penalized more than West, maybe you need to think about that one week apart the same two team’s played again and it changed from West getting blown out to almost winning. Right? And besides West playing a cleaner game what changed?
Burg was penalized in the first game 7 times which is around their norm looking at other games during the season. West was penalized 3 times in that game which is well below their norm when compared to their other games. So if these refs were “unethical”, they were so in the favor of West! Very unusual that the team penalized the least complains the most about the refs.

As for the difference between the two games: West played better and Burg played worse. Hell, Burg couldn’t handle the snap in the first half. Plus, the onside kicks in the first match up didn’t happen in the second game. Nothing to do with who officiated the game.

BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI
Freshman Team

Post by BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:53 pm

You being an Ironton fan you are freaking hilarious talking about character with the officials. Does the name Mahlmeister ring a bell to you???? They were brothers that officiated a lot of Ironton's bigger games back in the 90's and 2000's. Trust me, there lack of character goes way beyond horrible in what the three officials that officiated the Burg-West game.
You are still having problems seeing the big picture issue of ethics and sportsmanship here and how it leads to a conflict of interest. Your use of whataboutism arguments are just weak. The conflict of interest starts with W'burg's AD scheduling these alumni refs to work their league games in the first place, and these refs should also realize the problem it creates with the integrity of the game. It all comes down to ethics, sportsmanship and respecting the integrity of the game, and W'burg has proven time after time they have zero respect for any of these. There are much deeper issues of character within the Wburg program at hand than trying to justify the use of alumni refs during league games.

Trying to justify this is nothing more than you trying to fool yourself or doing a really bad job of trying to fool everyone else into believing it's something benign. Kinda like sticking an assistant coach on the sidelines of an opposing team during a regional championship and then, once caught, trying to convince everyone he was just a member of the media.

Givin' it to ya straight 100%, Your BIG DADDY FROM CINCINNATI!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:18 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:53 pm

You are still having problems seeing the big picture issue of ethics and sportsmanship here and how it leads to a conflict of interest. Your use of whataboutism arguments are just weak. The conflict of interest starts with W'burg's AD scheduling these alumni refs to work their league games in the first place, and these refs should also realize the problem it creates with the integrity of the game. It all comes down to ethics, sportsmanship and respecting the integrity of the game, and W'burg has proven time after time they have zero respect for any of these. There are much deeper issues of character within the Wburg program at hand than trying to justify the use of alumni refs during league games.

Trying to justify this is nothing more than you trying to fool yourself or doing a really bad job of trying to fool everyone else into believing it's something benign. Kinda like sticking an assistant coach on the sidelines of an opposing team during a regional championship and then, once caught, trying to convince everyone he was just a member of the media.
This coming from an Ironton fan whose school just used hometown refs in an attempt to screw over Moeller with 12 penalties (compared to just 3 against Ironton). Sorry, but you have no credibility with regards to sportsmanship and ethics.

As for the sideline reporter, he was not an assistant coach. Now you sound like the crazy coach and AD from Middletown Madison.

Return to “Football”