Ironton 214 points vs OVC 27 points, 5 - 0 thru 5 weeks of OVC play. Irontons biggest ? as we near the post season: 

efarns
S

Re: Is the Ironton/OVC relationship deteriorating? Coal Grove jr high team pulls an okie doke, 2 years in a row

Post by efarns »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:42 pm Would ironton be dominant if they were just playing ironton kids right now? No transfers in.

They would probably still win the majority but it wouldn’t be like it has been.

I’ll admit, the ovc is really weak in football but Hopefully Portsmouth, Gallia, and fairland can give more resistance. Because ironton is just like everyone else in the other sports. Why force those teams to not be able to schedule local?
So, what happens Ironton recruits, you play Ironton every year and lose every year? Does life go on? Does your school still have a sports program? Are your children ruined because they lost a football game?

Do you know how many conference titles my high school has won in every sport? Dozens and dozens. Think about how little you care that my high school has all those banners on the gym wall, and you'll realize how little it actually matters.

goUK
Varsity

Re: Ironton 214 points vs OVC 27 points, 5 - 0 thru 5 weeks of OVC play. Irontons biggest ? as we near the post season: 

Post by goUK »

OVCFan1 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:35 am
SEO95 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:19 am The OVC is terrible. Hard to gauge anything.
Lol. The OVC is NOT terrible, the OVC has a problem: they are 2 tiered without the number of teams needed to be so. Ironton beats any other team in south eastern Ohio, Fairland beats the majority and plays with any other team in south eastern Ohio, Portsmouth plays with any other team in south eastern Ohio... pretty darn strong.

The other, well, they’re not that good obviously, the OVC needs to try to lure Jackson into the league and then needs to try to get another small school in, say a Symmes Valley, Green, South ... whoever. Then you you have a true two tiered OVC with 10 teams. Have an OVC 1 and OVC 2, just like the SOC. After you’re first expansion you can reevaluate to see if one more expansion is needed/justified

Ironton
Gallia
Portsmouth
Fairland
Jackson (equivalent)

Coal Grove
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill
Symmes Valley (equivalent)

You can have one week each season where the two divisions play someone fro the other and you can now also fill a robust out of conference schedule.....
Agree with this, but in all other sports Chesapeake and South Point would demand to be in the top tier. Or the OVC would just have a single league for all other sports. If thats the case, CG and SV would absolutely decline that.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Is the Ironton/OVC relationship deteriorating? Coal Grove jr high team pulls an okie doke, 2 years in a row

Post by mattash »

Ironton probably wants out. Ironton vs. OVC games will probably be boring for a while.

Ironton is loaded even in their youth. Don't see anything changing.

Rock Hill Youth is really good though. If they could just stay together they would be a force. Not sure what happens after 6th grade.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I don't know if Coal Grove, South point, Gallia, Peake have the JV numbers to risk playing an Ironton JV.

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Ironton runs it like a business and they are good at it.

Portsmouth has been pretty consistent with there new coach. He's doing really good.

Need the one school from all the SEO county power conference.

Ironton
Burg or Portsmouth
Gallia
Jackson
Waverly
Chilli

Michael Scott
portsmouth_98
All State

Re: Ironton 214 points vs OVC 27 points, 5 - 0 thru 5 weeks of OVC play. Irontons biggest ? as we near the post season: 

Post by portsmouth_98 »

BuckNuts24 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:23 am
SEO95 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:19 am The OVC is terrible. Hard to gauge anything.
Agree 1,000% anyone who says otherwise is just sheltering the ovc from fair criticism.
As opposed to what? The MAC or GCL South, I would agree. As opposed to other local leagues, not the worst, probably middling , I would put them ahead of the SVC , probably behind the TVC Ohio and the SOC 2 is probably the best top to bottom but also smaller.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Portsmouth is getting better but we were really down. Our Jv is ok and our junior high looks good. We went over 10 years without a playoff appearance though and pretty much started over from scratch.

PTrojan59
S

Re: Ironton 214 points vs OVC 25 points, 5 - 0 thru 5 weeks of OVC play. Irontons biggest ? as we near the post season: 

Post by PTrojan59 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:44 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:23 pm
mattash wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 pm Will find out v Portsmouth

That will a huge game. Will see what Ironton is made of there.
Kind of a crazy statement honestly, if you don't know what Ironton is by now you haven't paid attention this season. They've beat down a 5-3 Burg team, squeaked out a win against a 6-2 Jackson team, Beat a 6-1 Fairland team in OT, and took on a 5-2 DI Moeller team, I mean seriously man if you don't know what Ironton is made of after all of that you've been living under a rock.

What you meant to say was we'll see what Portsmouth is made out of in this one, last 2 seasons Ironton has beaten Portsmouth 50-9 and 48-7 it's this years Portsmouth that we'll see what they truly are made of going up against Ironton. The resume for Ironton speaks for itself, resume for the Trojans played great against 2 really good teams but fell short and have 1 win against an opponent with a winning record very average at that in Coal Grove. This game is HUGE for the Trojans, could be the difference in hosting or traveling week 11.
Agree with this. I support Portsmouth through thick and thin, but I also try to be a realist. The Trojans have a dynamic offense, improved defense but to be completely honest they haven’t really played a whole lot of upper competition. West is a solid team, Valley and Coal Grove are average. Deer Park and Rock Hill aren’t great, Chesapeake is terrible. Those are the 6 wins. Could be 8-0 but aren’t, 2 losses by 1 point to a good Waverly team and a good Fairland team. So this game against Ironton is going to see how good the Trojans are, not Ironton. I have faith in the Trojans but I don’t think the game will be all the close. Ironton will dominate on both sides of the line. They have the speed to compete with Portsmouth’s. Really I just hope the Trojans play hard, make it a game and come out healthy for a likely week 11 road game. I’d love for the Trojans to prove me wrong though.

Who Dey!
Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Is the Ironton/OVC relationship deteriorating? Coal Grove jv team pulls an okie doke, 2 years in a row

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironton is dominating football. And I know football is the focus. But are they even winning in everything else?

Maybe softball? I know both basketball teams were mid to lower mid pack last season. I am being sincere. Are they winning in anything besides football?

Should the SOC I boot Notre Dame girls basketball? I mean they haven't lost a league game since the Clinton administration. Should the SOC II send the Burg girls softball team to an independent schedule?

Just because one school is running teams in one sport doesn't make the league a bad fit for the whole district, IMO.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BuckNuts24 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:25 pm
mattash wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:23 pm I don't know if Coal Grove, South point, Gallia, Peake have the JV numbers to risk playing an Ironton JV.
Best argument for Ironton to leave.
OVC is unable to meet Irontons needs.
Where do they go? Lol. You think the ovc is going to let ironton just out of football? Ironton only dominates football and as done so with transfers. They haven’t proven anything. Let’s have a season with ironton kids only. Seems arrogant to make a statement wanting out otherwise
Last edited by wobycat on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Is the Ironton/OVC relationship deteriorating? Coal Grove jv team pulls an okie doke, 2 years in a row

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:49 pm Ironton is dominating football. And I know football is the focus. But are they even winning in everything else?

Maybe softball? I know both basketball teams were mid to lower mid pack last season. I am being sincere. Are they winning in anything besides football?

Should the SOC I boot Notre Dame girls basketball? I mean they haven't lost a league game since the Clinton administration. Should the SOC II send the Burg girls softball team to an independent schedule?

Just because one school is running teams in one sport doesn't make the league a bad fit for the whole district, IMO.
Burg wins quite a few championships in other soc sports. I promise you they don’t want out. The soc is a very good league in all sports

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BuckNuts24 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:38 pm
portsmouth_98 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:28 pm
BuckNuts24 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:23 am

Agree 1,000% anyone who says otherwise is just sheltering the ovc from fair criticism.
As opposed to what? The MAC or GCL South, I would agree. As opposed to other local leagues, not the worst, probably middling , I would put them ahead of the SVC , probably behind the TVC Ohio and the SOC 2 is probably the best top to bottom but also smaller.
Tbh I think the soc, svc and tvc are soft too.
I’d say grant ironton their wish. Let them travel. The only way they sustain is hoping for transfers to come in yearly. Fans of ironton need to slow their roll and be careful what they wish for.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:55 pm
BuckNuts24 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:25 pm
mattash wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:23 pm I don't know if Coal Grove, South point, Gallia, Peake have the JV numbers to risk playing an Ironton JV.
Best argument for Ironton to leave.
OVC is unable to meet Irontons needs.
Where do they go? Lol. You think the ovc is going to let ironton just out of football? Ironton only dominates football and as done so with transfers. They haven’t proven anything. Let’s have a season with ironton kids only. Seems arrogant to make a statement wanting out otherwise
I agree. 2-3 years ago they couldn’t even win the conference and they only beat fairland this year in overtime because coach Cunningham wasn’t even there or the ole mighty Tigers would have lost that game. The grass is not always greener on the other side and unfortunately for the kids of Ironton they will find this out the hard way leaving the OVC. Good luck!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:57 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:49 pm Ironton is dominating football. And I know football is the focus. But are they even winning in everything else?

Burg wins quite a few championships in other soc sports. I promise you they don’t want out. The soc is a very good league in all sports
Huh?

I was using examples of teams dominating one sport. I didn't imply Burg doesn't win other titles or want out.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

If Ironton leaves the OVC, it will not be because of Ironton’s choice.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Huh?

I was using examples of teams dominating one sport. I didn't imply Burg doesn't win other titles or want out.
He has a complex about making every topic about how great they are.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Huh?

I was agreeing with you. I was saying burg would never say they want out even if they are dominant in a sport.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

You must have more friends than me. Haven’t seen anything.

Either way, “boosters” and parents on social media won’t be making any decisions.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

mattash wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm Ironton runs it like a business and they are good at it.

Portsmouth has been pretty consistent with there new coach. He's doing really good.

Need the one school from all the SEO county power conference.

Ironton
Burg or Portsmouth
Gallia
Jackson
Waverly
Chilli
I’ve got a good name for it. How about the SEOAL?! 🇺🇸

What is the deal with strength of schedule coming in 2022? How does that work who what decides strength?

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

BuckNuts24 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:44 pm
TigerBob wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:47 pm If Ironton leaves the OVC, it will not be because of Ironton’s choice.
Probably but I see some "boosters" and parents on social media saying Ironton wants out and actually tried to leave last year?
It wouldn’t surprise me at all them doing this. Curious to who it is? Are you talking about people with the Tiger Clan?

Return to “Football”