Gridiron Glory Player of the year Watchlist

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Re: Gridiron Glory Player of the year Watchlist

Post by RiverRatRay »

greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:55 pm
RothGGProducer wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:40 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:28 pm Oh my, this list can't be put together unless Drew Novak the JR QB from Western Brown is on there, I know a lot of us have seen Western Brown popping up quite a bit this year and they're 6-2. Looking at Maxpreps looks like they are keeping their stats up to date. Averaging 483 yards of offense per game.

Passing
Competion%--70%
Yardage--3223
TDs--37
INTs--5

Rushing
Yards--640
TDs--11
Attempts--72

They've lost 2 games, one to a 7-1 Monroe team by 66-58 and to a 6-1 Clinton Massie 42-35
Western Brown is not in the 740 area code so Gridiron Glory doesn’t cover them. Therefore, the Western Brown quarterback cannot be included in the Gridiron Glory player of the year award.
Understandable but in the grand scheme of things anyone else find it strange all this talk about above or below the 70 line and yet the top 3 guys listed are all above the line, LOL. I'm thinking Orange and Brown might be onto something in terms of popularity contest, I mean the list LITERALLY says Southeast Ohio award winners, if Columbus is central ohio I'm not sure how a place well north of it is southeast. Guess you've got to go by something no matter how off it seems when you look at the list.
I have to agree that this doesn't seem right. It's like the Ohio Lottery you have to reside above I70 to win the southeastern player of the year. No one from Jackson, Wheelersburg, Fairland, Ironton.Western Brown just doesn't look right. Popularity must be one of the qualifications or maybe location, who knows.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

RothGGProducer wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:34 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:05 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:51 pm It's nothing but a popularity contest. Whose fans can vote the most lol
Burrow didn’t win it :lol:
Not a single student that works on the show was there for that decision. Not sure what you want the current staff to do about what happened 7 seasons ago.
GG is a great program and really does do a lot to get recognition to teams around southeast Ohio, but the one knock on them is they have no sense of history of the area. They’re college kids, granted they are doing this to get set up for their careers which I’m sure they all do/will do great at, but nonetheless they’re college kids from all over the US, they go based on what they see currently and not what is known for the area. They make picks and decisions based solely off of what is going on in the now and they don’t dive into what each team has coming up. Granted, it’s a lot of teams they have to cover, I get that it’s going to be hard to keep up with that plus all the other schoolwork they’re doing, but a little history on the teams wouldn’t be bad to know. Maybe have a local on staff from the different counties that can tell them what to expect each year?
Last edited by OSU22 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

No love for MTs Jayden LeBeau?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RiverRatRay wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:36 am

Western Brown is not in the 740 area code so Gridiron Glory doesn’t cover them. Therefore, the Western Brown quarterback cannot be included in the Gridiron Glory player of the year award.
Understandable but in the grand scheme of things anyone else find it strange all this talk about above or below the 70 line and yet the top 3 guys listed are all above the line, LOL. I'm thinking Orange and Brown might be onto something in terms of popularity contest, I mean the list LITERALLY says Southeast Ohio award winners, if Columbus is central ohio I'm not sure how a place well north of it is southeast. Guess you've got to go by something no matter how off it seems when you look at the list.
I have to agree that this doesn't seem right. It's like the Ohio Lottery you have to reside above I70 to win the southeastern player of the year. No one from Jackson, Wheelersburg, Fairland, Ironton.Western Brown just doesn't look right. Popularity must be one of the qualifications or maybe location, who knows.
Well really it goes back to what kids know and what everyone on this site goes by and no one is considering Tri-Valley, Granville, or Newark Catholic as Southeastern Ohio teams which is why they're not talked about I mean we just as well add Steubenville Big Red on there if that's the case. I technically they're not calling it MVP but on that list Levi Gullion would have to go up MUCH higher because I don't know how many players do more for their team than that young man.

Jimbob2023
Riding the Bench

Post by Jimbob2023 »

:roll:

Muskie740
Waterboy

Post by Muskie740 »

RothGGProducer wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:52 pm
Muskie740 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:54 pm No love for Maeson Long from FF? He outplayed three of these finalists head to head ..
Long is a stud, we’re doing a team of the year and he’s a no brainer for that. Could’ve easily made this list, if we had 15 spots he’s probably on there. His team is just a lot more talented than Waterford and Warren that it’s tough to directly compare them when they go head to head.
Fair point, a direct comparison cannot be made. I may have been a little overboard on the head to head take. I do feel that Long has played at a consistently higher level in all three phases of the game against much better competition, albeit with a much better team.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

mt1fan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 am No love for MTs Jayden LeBeau?
He’s a stud, just didn’t quite make the cut down to 12 players. We’ll be seeing him this week when the Panthers host Jackson.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

RiverRatRay wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:36 am

Gridiron Glory has covered Jackson 5 times, Wheelersburg 3 times, Fairland 3 times and Ironton 4 times. Would love to know how those are the teams we punish for ‘popularity’ I don’t even know what that means. Also, there’s 3 players above the I70 line out of 12.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Muskie740 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:54 pm No love for Maeson Long from FF? He outplayed three of these finalists head to head ..
Your point is so good and so obvious that I can't take the list seriously enough to even care that he was left off.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Give me Levi Gullion all day.
Heck of a QB. Can beat you with his legs and his arm. Puts up huge numbers, has his team in line for an undefeated season, SVC championship and a Gold ball. All extremely hard to do.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

RothGGProducer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:48 pm Gridiron Glory released an initial watch list for the player of the year award. With the expanded coverage area, players from many new teams are now eligible for the award. The 12 players on the first watch list in alphabetical order are
Drew Burkhart, Tri Valley QB
Cole Canter, Newark Catholic QB
Carsyn Crouch, Granville QB
Holden Dailey, Waterford RB
Will Futhey, Waverly WR
Levi Gullion, Piketon QB
Tabor Lackey, Trimble QB
Jason Munyan, Sheridan RB
Drew Roe, Portsmouth QB
Colt Sechrest, Bellaire LB
Jason Williams, Warren RB
Beau Wisecarver, Bloom-Carroll DB

To watch the full episode from Week 8 of game, click on the link below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwlfEQDyeE
How does your coverage include Tri-Valley clear to Bellaire, down to Ironton and include two teams from Guernsey County but never any mention of anything Cambridge which is also in Guernsey County? Obviously you can do whatever you want but just doesn't make sense to pick and choose which schools to include if you using a geographic map.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Gullion and roe for this neck of the woods. Homegrown kids making significant impacts for their teams.

RothGGProducer
Riding the Bench

Post by RothGGProducer »

BobcatQB wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:41 pm
RothGGProducer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:48 pm Gridiron Glory released an initial watch list for the player of the year award. With the expanded coverage area, players from many new teams are now eligible for the award. The 12 players on the first watch list in alphabetical order are
Will Futhey, Waverly WR
Levi Gullion, Piketon QB
Tabor Lackey, Trimble QB
Drew Roe, Portsmouth QB

To watch the full episode from Week 8 of game, click on the link below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwlfEQDyeE
How does your coverage include Tri-Valley clear to Bellaire, down to Ironton and include two teams from Guernsey County but never any mention of anything Cambridge which is also in Guernsey County? Obviously you can do whatever you want but just doesn't make sense to pick and choose which schools to include if you using a geographic map.
We’ve been wanting to see Cambridge, just hasn’t really worked out yet this season. It’s a pretty far drive from Athens but we’ve gone further this season. Nothing personal against them, hoping to see them in the playoffs or end of the season.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Will Futhey, Waverly WR
Levi Gullion, Piketon QB
Tabor Lackey, Trimble QB
Drew Roe, Portsmouth QB
The more schools you cover, the more people there are to complain about not enough coverage or not picking their kid. It can make for great conversation. Unfortunately it also opens the door for people who don’t really stop to consider the enormity of the job you guys do.

It is a thankless endeavor to try to do anything good sometimes. So I’ll just say, don’t care who is on the list or who wins, I appreciate the work you all put in to spotlight an insane volume of schools/kids.

Ovc1988
Waterboy

Post by Ovc1988 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:40 pm A lot of these lists get unfair because deserving kids go unnoticed

Brumfield. The RB/LB from Fairland should be there. He’s great on both sides of the ball

Sissel. The RB/LB from Portsmouth West also. He may be leading the area in Rushing and Tackles.

Penn Morrison from Waverly has had a great year and he does it on both sides.

Most I don’t know. Futhey, Roe, and Gullion are very deserving.
I’m pretty sure Chase Hall from Coal Grove has right at 1200 yards rushing in 7 games and averages around 15 tackles a game not sure what Sissel has but those numbers would be hard to beat right now

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

BuckNuts24 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:28 pm
Will Futhey, Waverly WR
Levi Gullion, Piketon QB
Tabor Lackey, Trimble QB
Drew Roe, Portsmouth QB

Angelo Washington LB Ironton = better athlete and football player than the entire list.
Stop it! He’s not even the best Athlete or football player on his team let alone this list man. He’s really good, he’s a good kid too. I actually know he and his family.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Checked out the Washington kid and he has invites to 3 All American bowls. One on LA., one out East and the Blue Gray Bowl. So someone thinks he must be pretty good.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Ovc1988 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:21 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:40 pm A lot of these lists get unfair because deserving kids go unnoticed

Brumfield. The RB/LB from Fairland should be there. He’s great on both sides of the ball

Sissel. The RB/LB from Portsmouth West also. He may be leading the area in Rushing and Tackles.

I’m pretty sure Chase Hall from Coal Grove has right at 1200 yards rushing in 7 games and averages around 15 tackles a game not sure what Sissel has but those numbers would be hard to beat right now
Agree, Hall is as important to his team as anyone in southern Ohio. And has put up great numbers all season, including 100 yards rushing vs arguably the stingiest defense in SEO in Ironton. And nothing against any other player on the list they're obviously all great players as are those other that at mentioned.

Ovc1988
Waterboy

Post by Ovc1988 »

OVCFan1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:08 am
Ovc1988 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Agree, Hall is as important to his team as anyone in southern Ohio. And has put up great numbers all season, including 100 yards rushing vs arguably the stingiest defense in SEO in Ironton. And nothing against any other player on the list they're obviously all great players as are those other that at mentioned.
Absolutely there are a lot of very good players in south east Ohio this year

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

This doing just whats its supposed to do popularity contest most fans going to put one of their own in there no matter what, and numbers can be deceiving I don't pay no attention to these polls/contest etc

Return to “Football”