A Special Request (Pomeroy HS alum)

formerfcfan
SEOP

A Special Request (Pomeroy HS alum)

Post by formerfcfan »

I've been asked to post this request that is close to the heart!

To all of my Meigs County friends… if any of you know Coach John “JP” Young, who is a Pomeroy High School Alum (Class of 1956) , Fisher Catholic High School will be honoring Coach for his 60 years of coaching next Friday night (10/22) at the football game between Berne Union/Fisher and then immediately following at a reception at the school.  If you (or your parents or grandparents) know Coach Young and have any stories of him from his Pomeroy days please send them to FCHS head football coach Luke Thimmes @ lthimmes@cdeducation.org There’s nobody like Coach Young!  I know he would love to hear from and/or see some Meigs County folks next Friday night.  SIXTY years coaching football and still going strong!  I’m glad my son gets to play for and be taught by Coach Young.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: A Special Request

Post by formerfcfan »

Just a quick t/t/t.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

That's amazing. 60 years... wow.

Class of '56... that means he was a senior when Pomeroy won their only SEOAL football championship in 1955. The Panthers went 6-1 against league opponents and 7-2-1 overall.

Coach Young was a first team All-SEOAL selection as a guard.

Both of their losses - to Wahama and Jackson - were by the same 12-13 score and both away from home. They tied Belpre at home in another non-league game.

They routed rival Middleport on Thanksgiving 53-0 - the biggest margin of victory for PHS ever in the series.

1955 Pomeroy Panthers:
Sept. 16 - Pomeroy 12 (AT) Wahama (WV) 13 - Loss
Sept. 23 - Pomeroy 7, (VS) Chauncey-Dover 6 - WIN
Sept. 30 - Pomeroy 12, (AT) Jackson 13 - Loss *
Oct. 7 - Pomeroy 2, (VS) Nelsonville 0 - WIN *
Oct. 14 - Pomeroy 14, (AT) Athens 6 - WIN *
Oct. 21 - Pomeroy 18, (AT) Gallipolis 13 - WIN *
Oct. 28 - Pomeroy 33, (VS) Logan 0 - WIN *
Nov. 4 - Pomeroy 20, (AT) Wellston 6 - WIN *
Nov. 11 - Pomeroy 13, (VS) Belpre 13 - TIE
Nov. 24 - Pomeroy 53, (VS) Middleport 0 - WIN *

Points for: 184
Points Against: 70

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Thanks, @loganlocos ! Every little bit helps. Appreciate the find!

John Young is a very kind, inspiring adult to every student he’s in the room with — football player or not. I’ll get this info forwarded. Awesome!

Return to “Football”