OVC Chip Portsmouth @ Ironton who you got

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Re: OVC Chip Portsmouth @ Ironton who you got

Post by SciotoCfootball »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:08 pm Ironton is decidedly the favorite given their records, recent series history and common opponent results. I don't think it's significant enough to call them a huge favorite and I don't think it would even be a surprise of they pull it off. The questions to be answered will be can Portsmouths offensive line keep the Tigers out of their backfield all night? Can special teams keep the field position battle even all night and can the defense keep the Tigers from long drives and maybe force a turnover or two. Outside of the weather and field conditions nobody has slowed our offense at all, as we have scored at least 5 touchdowns in 8 of our 9 games. I am sure Ironton will be the best defense we have seen but I don't think they can shut us down completely. This is a winnable game and if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we have a close to 50% shot at winning it.
Spot on. Trojans offense is hard to stop but that is one area where it will be an extremely hard fought battle. Irontons defense is legit, so while I do think Portsmouth will have success theyre going to meet a lot of resistance. So to me the two key areas Portsmouth needs to really focus on are defense and special teams. If they let Ironton control the clock its game over, and if they let their playmakers return kicks its game over.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I hope intimidation doesn’t play a factor. 2 state finals, really good past few years and at ironton. Last year Portsmouth lost 50-9 and I thought some of the kids looked intimidated. Trojans have to keep irontons offense off the field as much as possible. And trojans need to score every chance they get. I truly think Portsmouth can win this game. I’m more shocked that this is already the last game of the season. It has flew by.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Look for Roe to have one of his best games ever, at least from an effort standpoint. He's a senior who hasnt won against Ironton and im sure thats crossed his mind.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:08 pm Look for Roe to have one of his best games ever, at least from an effort standpoint. He's a senior who hasnt won against Ironton and im sure thats crossed his mind.
Roe and the Trojans beat Ironton in 2018 his freshman year. He wasn’t the starter (should’ve been imo) but he was the backup and apart of the team. The Trojans had to win that game to sneak into the playoffs. Horrible first half. The lights at the coliseum went off. Came back on it was a whole new game. Portsmouth won 35-28 I believe.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:36 pm
SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:08 pm Look for Roe to have one of his best games ever, at least from an effort standpoint. He's a senior who hasnt won against Ironton and im sure thats crossed his mind.
Roe and the Trojans beat Ironton in 2018 his freshman year. He wasn’t the starter (should’ve been imo) but he was the backup and apart of the team. The Trojans had to win that game to sneak into the playoffs. Horrible first half. The lights at the coliseum went off. Came back on it was a whole new game. Portsmouth won 35-28 I believe.
True but thats not the same if you ask me. Id say he doesnt view his freshman year like he does the years he's been the starter. If you didnt play the majority or at least half of a game you cant really say that you have beat that team before.. JMO

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:43 pm
True but thats not the same if you ask me. Id say he doesnt view his freshman year like he does the years he's been the starter. If you didnt play the majority or at least half of a game you cant really say that you have beat that team before.. JMO
They was the craziest turn around I ever saw. Portsmouth came out possessed that 2nd half. The lights went out to top it off. I agree toe should of at least started the 2nd half of that season and the Madison game. Madison was on a different level that year big still a fun drive and neat stadium

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Only chance Portsmouth has is to keep ironton under 20 because I don’t think they will score much more than that. Moeller and Kirtland have been the only teams to get 3 offensive scores on Ironton the passed3 seasons including playoffs.

Kirtland 38-0
Moeller 24-7
Only teams with 3 offensive touchdowns against Ironton since the start of the 2019 season

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Ironton defense to tough and physical, I don't think the Trojans can get it done at Tank

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Crazy we are already to this game, meaning it’s week 10. This will be a rather tall task for the Trojans. I think Ironton is more physical on both sides of the line. Might as well throw running the ball out the window if you’re Portsmouth. They won’t be able to run on Ironton. So I guess you go to what’s worked all season, you air it out. Ironton has the speed to match Portsmouth in the secondary, so let’s see how well they can cover. I’d love for the Trojans to walk out of Ironton with a W. It’s hard to win at Ironton any year, but this team is really good and I’m just not sure it happens. But I know the boys from Portsmouth won’t stop. Special group of kids that have worked hard and won’t lay down just because it’s Ironton, they are 8-1, played Moeller, have D1 kids, a fancy bus, good social media content and so on. Throw all that out the window, go out get mean and aggressive. Make Ironton earn the win. Go Trojans!

Who Dey!
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

With no turnovers,Tigers win easy.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:15 pm Only chance Portsmouth has is to keep ironton under 20 because I don’t think they will score much more than that. Moeller and Kirtland have been the only teams to get 3 offensive scores on Ironton the passed3 seasons including playoffs.

Kirtland 38-0
Moeller 24-7
Only teams with 3 offensive touchdowns against Ironton since the start of the 2019 season
One heck of a stat!

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:44 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:15 pm Only chance Portsmouth has is to keep ironton under 20 because I don’t think they will score much more than that. Moeller and Kirtland have been the only teams to get 3 offensive scores on Ironton the passed3 seasons including playoffs.

Kirtland 38-0
Moeller 24-7
One heck of a stat!
Definitely impressive this staff really has it figured out on that side of the ball. Especially losing all the people from the backend of the defense last year and still producing the same results against probably the best out of conference schedule they’ve had so far is definitely good regardless off what some might say.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Rooting for the trojans.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Ironton 42
Phs 20

Irish
Freshman Team

Post by Irish »

Fielddaddy wrote: Ironton seems to be clicking on all cylinders now.
They did have a some what sloppy game against Gallia with 3 turnovers but still prevailed will a shutout win.
I think Portsmouth will give them more of a fight but can see Ironton winning 34-21.
Biggest weakness for Ironton now seems to be the extra points and silly penalties.

If the stats are correct, Ironton’s kicker has only missed one PAT all year and that was Week 1. Not sure where Ironton’s issue is with extra points.

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

I think this game is interesting have felt that for a team to beat Ironton you have to out Ironton then.
Can Portsmouth line up and smash them in the mouth with a running game no… but the way that Roe runs and gets in space and the screen game Portsmouth can match Ironton. Carpenter is the real deal and he makes Ironton a lot better.
Really think this game could be a close Portsmouth win and an upset or Ironton wins by 4 scores no in between

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

RJShifko wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:17 pm I think this game is interesting have felt that for a team to beat Ironton you have to out Ironton then.
Can Portsmouth line up and smash them in the mouth with a running game no… but the way that Roe runs and gets in space and the screen game Portsmouth can match Ironton. Carpenter is the real deal and he makes Ironton a lot better.
Really think this game could be a close Portsmouth win and an upset or Ironton wins by 4 scores no in between
I agree with the out ironton them part but I’m thinking they better mimic the ironton defense because keeping it low scoring is Portsmouths best shot if you ask me.

BigOof
Waterboy

Post by BigOof »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:43 pm
Idk what that is supposed to mean. He was definitely a part of the team and he played in the game and helped get the win. May not have been at QB but he did his part in one hell of a game. Ask anyone on that team, he and the other freshman on the 2018 team were a part of the team. The trojans were steamrolling the tigers even before the lights went out. They probably made a huge mistake stomping on the trojan head during warmups. I thought Ironton was supposed to have class, that move was not.

BigOof
Waterboy

Post by BigOof »

I cannot wait for this game. This can honestly be either way but it is incredibly hard to win in the harsh environment that is Tanks Memorial Stadium. I do, however, think that people aren't giving Portsmouth enough credit. Portsmouth has athletes and Ironton has some to cover them, just not enough. Portsmouth has so many offensive weapons that there isn't enough ball to go around. Many people have no idea how good some of these kids are unless they really know the trojans. Between Roe, Pendleton, Carr, Bryant, Hammond, Johnson, and Roe.... It's going to be hard to deal with these skill guys.

Many people think that it's going to come down to Portsmouth's defense, but I think it will be the Oline that may be the deciding factor. I say this because for these athletes to be utilized to their fullest extent, the play has to have time to develop and I have no idea if there will be time with the nature of the Tiger's defense. I questioned the Trojan's O-line, but what may be the real deciding factor, is pentalties. How many times were the Trojans 2 and 20, 3 and 25 against South Point? That CANNOT happen vs Ironton. They are way too good to let anyone score 36 points in the first quarter and allow you to throw 30 yard passes whenever you want. This is going to be a battle to the end and I'm all for it.

I love this game. This has been more of The Game than The Game recently and I'm all for it. Good luck to both teams and I hope to see all of you at the game this week!

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

As an outsider I gotta root for the Trojans, be a helluva upset.

Return to “Football”