Post by mattash »

This is going to be a killer game

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
portsmouth_98
All State

Re: OVC Chip Portsmouth @ Ironton who you got

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Portsmouth, but to be fair I'd say that if we were 0-9 and they were 9-0.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Going with Ironton at home.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Have to go with Ironton at home in this one, just think they're to strong in the trenches for this one. Hoping for a good one this series has been pretty lopsided last couple of years since Trojans last win.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Wouldn’t it be a 3 way tie. Ironton, fairland and Portsmouth would have 1 loss

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragonsbreath12 »

I personally think Ironton runs away with this one. Multiple score win.

I also think Ironton if healthy in that week 3 OT win vs my Dragons would have won by 14-17 in regulation. No OT needed. Their defense is legit. Carpenter doesn’t make mistakes when putting the ball in the air. He’s the best QB in the OVC it just isn’t shown as much bc of the style Ironton plays and he missed half the year.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Even though the Trojans are greatly improved, and I think 95% of the people would say that, It would be hard for me to pick against the Tigers.

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

I think we’d all like for this game to be closer than it will be. Portsmouth is a great team, but they don’t have what it’s going to take to beat Ironton this late in the season. Tigers win by 2 scores. Ironton 42 Portsmouth 28

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Going with my Trojans I have been saying all year I think we will win and still standing by it. I think there will be some points put up by both teams but im hoping our speed with our receivers will be the difference we have 4 receivers that has lead the ovc wit receiving yards for the majority of the year.

I know its a tall order but I honestly think we can win this game .

Hoping to see a great Ironton portsmouth battle

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

For what it's worth I watched Irontons first 4 games in person this year. I will grant you, that was without Carpenter running the offense. I feel like Ptown can absolutely be in this game. It will come down to the trenches, and I definitely think Ironton is superior in that aspect. However, I am hoping for an action packed game in this long historical rivalry. Do not be surprised if the Trojans pull it out.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
31 Forever
Waterboy

Post by 31 Forever »

PHS 21
IHS 20

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Ironton seems to be clicking on all cylinders now.
They did have a some what sloppy game against Gallia with 3 turnovers but still prevailed will a shutout win.
I think Portsmouth will give them more of a fight but can see Ironton winning 34-21.
Biggest weakness for Ironton now seems to be the extra points and silly penalties.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Ironton and Portsmouth have played each other 128 times since 1902.

Ironton leads the series 61-60-7.

Between 1906 and 1910, these teams played each other 9 times and Portsmouth outscored Ironton 268-0.

In the Bob Lutz era of Ironton football, Ironton dominated, going 31-10-1 against Portsmouth.

This rivalry is one of the oldest and best in all of Ohio.

They should definitely think of wearing Tanks and Spartans uniforms for a throwback game.

Not only is the W-L record close, the differential in scoring is just 0.65 after 118 years of playing each other.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Shoot out at tank ???

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Irontons strengths are the offense and defense lines. Portsmouth lines better be ready for a battle. Skill spots I think they match evenly but the Keyes kid is a stud running back for ironton. Not sure he is healthy or not. Trojan line has to give roe time. Trojans need to have a great game from the special teams as well.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I said on an earlier thread that I believe that Portsmouth can win........with that said, the Trojans will be going against the best defense that they've faced all season. Aside from Moeller, I also think that the Trojans will be the best offensive team that the Fighting Tigers have faced, especially passing wise. PHS has lost 2 games by 1 point each to 2 teams that have lost 1 game each.

As has been already said, the game will be decided by whoever wins the battle at the line of scrimmage. QB Drew Roe has accounted for over 30 TD's with his arm and feet, and Ironton will have their hands full trying to contain him. Portsmouth will have to be able to neutralize the Fighting Tigers' physical presence on the LOS. The Trojans' O-line will be severely tested, and for Roe to make plays, they can't have Ironton living in the backfield all night. Kickoff return coverage by Portsmouth has to be good, because Ironton beat Jackson with a kickoff TD.

Ironton is the best team Portsmouth will have faced this season, but a win by the Trojans is very possible. I haven't seen Ironton play, but my feeling about PHS going into the Tank and coming out with a win is based on what I've seen of Portsmouth in 9 games thus far.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Roe is a special player who can make plays out of scheme. Ironton limits that and they should be good, but it only takes a few big plays to tilt the balance.

Probably fair to call Tigers a significant favorite, but need to play well to make it a stress free win.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Pulling for Portsmouth for Waverly playoff points but have to figure Ironton wins it.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Jmo think Portsmouth has a shot to win this game !!!

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Ironton is decidedly the favorite given their records, recent series history and common opponent results. I don't think it's significant enough to call them a huge favorite and I don't think it would even be a surprise of they pull it off. The questions to be answered will be can Portsmouths offensive line keep the Tigers out of their backfield all night? Can special teams keep the field position battle even all night and can the defense keep the Tigers from long drives and maybe force a turnover or two. Outside of the weather and field conditions nobody has slowed our offense at all, as we have scored at least 5 touchdowns in 8 of our 9 games. I am sure Ironton will be the best defense we have seen but I don't think they can shut us down completely. This is a winnable game and if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we have a close to 50% shot at winning it.

Return to “Football”