Week 10 Waverly at Oak Hill

gator81
Freshman Team

Re: Week 10 Waverly at Oak Hill

Post by gator81 »

There is no valid reason or explanation for being in the SOC2 at Oak Hill. This was very poor decision, not in favour or balance for Oak Hill. Understand no one was crying foul when the Oaks were not winning in the Soc1. This was suicidal move, I understand that the Soc1 wanted them out. OTHER ALTERNATIVES should have been considered. Oak Hill has great facilities there, it is time for someone to get their butt and make the necessary changes to preserve the football program there.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

gator81 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:13 am There is no valid reason or explanation for being in the SOC2 at Oak Hill. This was very poor decision, not in favour or balance for Oak Hill. Understand no one was crying foul when the Oaks were not winning in the Soc1. This was suicidal move, I understand that the Soc1 wanted them out. OTHER ALTERNATIVES should have been considered. Oak Hill has great facilities there, it is time for someone to get their butt and make the necessary changes to preserve the football program there.
Have to disagree with you, the Oaks at the time they were in SOC1 play in football were destroying everyone and were way more successful than NW who's moving back up. The oaks spent the last 5 years in SOC1 play with 2 total losses in league play, losing to a 10-0 East team by 1 and Symmes Valley by 3 in OT. Having said that they didn't belong in SOC1 play at all but I don't believe SOC2 is a fit, I've always thought the best place for Oak Hill was the TVC given their location especially.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

From 2007-2018, Oak Hill was something along the lines of 53-7 against the SOC1. Obviously that’s not a good fit. However, being in the SOC2 isn’t a great fit, either. The individuals that made these decisions are no longer a part of the process. Oak Hill has only scored 20 points against Wheelersburg since 2010.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Will this game be streamed?

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Honestly Oak Hill, Northwest and Valley are all in the same boat. They are not wanted in the SOC 1 because they are too big and would dominate more times than not. But they are too small and not competitive enough year in and year out to be a good fit for the SOC 2. It’s tough. And there is no easy solution to any of it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 pm Honestly Oak Hill, Northwest and Valley are all in the same boat. They are not wanted in the SOC 1 because they are too big and would dominate more times than not. But they are too small and not competitive enough year in and year out to be a good fit for the SOC 2. It’s tough. And there is no easy solution to any of it.
Valley actually isn't much bigger than the other SOC1 schools, last count I seen had Valley just a handful of kids away from D7. Ex-Valley coach mentioned that there was a possibility they might "have" to drop down because of the size with the rules SOC has in place. Not sure what that is or anything he was telling me this before the season started they might not have a choice if they keep dropping in overall numbers.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:01 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 pm Honestly Oak Hill, Northwest and Valley are all in the same boat. They are not wanted in the SOC 1 because they are too big and would dominate more times than not. But they are too small and not competitive enough year in and year out to be a good fit for the SOC 2. It’s tough. And there is no easy solution to any of it.
Valley actually isn't much bigger than the other SOC1 schools, last count I seen had Valley just a handful of kids away from D7. Ex-Valley coach mentioned that there was a possibility they might "have" to drop down because of the size with the rules SOC has in place. Not sure what that is or anything he was telling me this before the season started they might not have a choice if they keep dropping in overall numbers.
Yeah you are right on that. They have been declining it seems like every year in numbers. Which is a shame because it wasn’t long ago that they were winning SOC 2 titles in more than one sport, or at least being contenders.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Begs the question would the SOC be willing to expand. It’s obvious most of the small towns within our league are not exponentially growing. Who would join/ who would we invite

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Would the SOC be able to expand to 3 divisions? Small, medium, large?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:44 pm Begs the question would the SOC be willing to expand. It’s obvious most of the small towns within our league are not exponentially growing. Who would join/ who would we invite
I think they would or they would suffer building a lopsided conference. With the changing times and decreasing population in these areas they would need to adjust. They're moving up Northwest and adding South Gallia to SOC1, problem is Oak Hill right now and in the current future is really in over their heads at least in football in SOC2 play. Question is what exactly is the answer?? Is it keeping 2 divisions and trying to make them as even as possible or is it being a bit more open minded to opening up for a 3rd division and invite some others in.

Divison 1
Waverly
Burg
West
Minford
*Portsmouth

Division 2
Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
*Piketon
*Unioto

Division 3
East
Notre Dame
Beaver Pike
South Gallia
Symmes Valley
Green

By looking at it like this would need to add 1 team to the top division and 2 in that middle tier area. Would a team from the SVC or OVC jump ship would be your best bets I would think anyways. Just put a couple marks on teams in terms of geographical area. South Gallia is really the outlier but that's a done deal.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:54 pm
Kicker. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:44 pm Begs the question would the SOC be willing to expand. It’s obvious most of the small towns within our league are not exponentially growing. Who would join/ who would we invite
I think they would or they would suffer building a lopsided conference. With the changing times and decreasing population in these areas they would need to adjust. They're moving up Northwest and adding South Gallia to SOC1, problem is Oak Hill right now and in the current future is really in over their heads at least in football in SOC2 play. Question is what exactly is the answer?? Is it keeping 2 divisions and trying to make them as even as possible or is it being a bit more open minded to opening up for a 3rd division and invite some others in.

Divison 1
Waverly
Burg
West
Minford
*Portsmouth

Division 2
Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
*Piketon
*Unioto

Division 3
East
Notre Dame
Beaver Pike
South Gallia
Symmes Valley
Green

By looking at it like this would need to add 1 team to the top division and 2 in that middle tier area. Would a team from the SVC or OVC jump ship would be your best bets I would think anyways. Just put a couple marks on teams in terms of geographical area. South Gallia is really the outlier but that's a done deal.
I like this alignment

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Isn't Unioto bigger than all of the SOC schools? Why wouldn't they be in the first division?

Why is this discussion in a Waverly vs Oak Hill thread instead of one of the weekly new conference threads?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The Flush wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:58 pm Isn't Unioto bigger than all of the SOC schools? Why wouldn't they be in the first division?

Why is this discussion in a Waverly vs Oak Hill thread instead of one of the weekly new conference threads?
The discussion was oak hill and being in SOC1, and we just turned it down this road. Honestly this is a much better discussion in terms of oak hill then discussing the game itself. Running clock the end, oak hill is so beat up this should be a wrap early.

tigercat74
Riding the Bench

Post by tigercat74 »

Omega wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:46 pm Using the week nine point totals, #4 Waverly would host #13
Washington(CH). It those rankings hold up after week ten, there would be some irony in that matchup.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/region.j ... &year=2021

As to Oak Hill, no injuries, fundamentals, and building depth should be Waverly's focus.
What would be the irony? New to this site. Thanks in advance.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Divison 1
Waverly
Burg
West
Minford
*Portsmouth

Division 2
Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
*Piketon
*Unioto

Division 3
East
Notre Dame
Beaver Pike
South Gallia
Symmes Valley
Green

I am not opposed to this however I’m not sure either Unioto or Piketon would abandon the SVC that would be my only worry. Outside of that I like this idea I like grabbing Portsmouth too. But unlikely this unfolds only thinks realistically I could see is that the remaining SOC II team form some what of an alliance with another conference and play them in the nonconf as if they were apart of the league e.g ND in CFB, they play a predominant ACC schedule. Or could be how the B1G and PAC-12 alliance in the future

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

No they probably wouldn't, the SVC teams are so set in their ways even though a move could help they wouldn't. They're simply content with playing average non league games and winning the SVC when in most years it's a 2 team race. This year it was piketon and the rest was just baaad.

gator81
Freshman Team

Post by gator81 »

Greygoose, I have to disagree.Starting in 1992 Oak Hill went 11 years with no Soc 1 championship seasons, funny thing never heard the conference complaining then.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

tigercat74 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:17 pm
Omega wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:46 pm Using the week nine point totals, #4 Waverly would host #13
Washington(CH). It those rankings hold up after week ten, there would be some irony in that matchup.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/region.j ... &year=2021

As to Oak Hill, no injuries, fundamentals, and building depth should be Waverly's focus.
What would be the irony? New to this site. Thanks in advance.
The irony would be Waverly playing WCH in the playoffs after WCH cancelled their regular season game against the Tigers back in week 5. The presumed reason was covid-19 spread within the Waverly community but there were counter claims that WCH was simply ducking the then heavily favored Tigers.
The playoff seedings will obviously change after week 10, so honestly the Waverly-WCH matchup is not likely.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Divison 1
Waverly
Burg
West
Minford
*Portsmouth

Division 2
Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
*Piketon
*Unioto

Division 3
East
Notre Dame
Beaver Pike
South Gallia
Symmes Valley
Green

If Ironton jumps out of the OVC to beef up their football schedule as an independent, some sort of SOC -OVC merger or scheduling alliance might be possible. As to Waverly, I think the SVC would be their best long term home. The cautionary tale in all of this is of course the demise of the SEOAL. Bigger in numbers and geographic footprint is not always better.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Omega wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 am

Divison 1
Waverly
Burg
West
Minford
*Portsmouth

Division 2
Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
*Piketon
*Unioto

Division 3
East
Notre Dame
Beaver Pike
South Gallia
Symmes Valley
Green

If Ironton jumps out of the OVC to beef up their football schedule as an independent, some sort of SOC -OVC merger or scheduling alliance might be possible. As to Waverly, I think the SVC would be their best long term home. The cautionary tale in all of this is of course the demise of the SEOAL. Bigger in numbers and geographic footprint is not always better.
Nope that's why I was grouping a team like Unioto which is bigger and would deserve to be in Division 1 play down in 2. Their history tells me overall they wouldn't be near as competitive in 1 as they would 2. I was moving teams based on how each of them matched up within their own division trying to make the competition as even as possible. SVC would want nothing to do with Waverly in it as a long term solution, it makes sense only from like you said a geographical and numbers stand point. From a competition standpoint, again what I proposed isn't going to happen but as you can see from the teams they are equal in size, geographically about as good as you can get if you look at Division 2 the competition would be perfect as no one is running away with it each year and on most nights teams are traveling 15-30 minutes. Unioto to Oak Hill farthest but that's still all highway and only about 40-45 minutes.

Return to “Football”