Winningest Coaches

kantucky
Varsity

Winningest Coaches

Post by kantucky »

Being a Fighting Tiger Fan I was absolutely elated when Ironton's Coach Bob Lutz became the winningest coach in the state. It wasn't very long after that another to coach took that spot. I've always been puzzled about that because I done a lot of research for several years before his name came up out of nowhere. Was very odd.

When coach Lutz started there were no playoff systems in place in Ohio the 1st 3 years. The playoff system started in '72 (or '73? ) andI stand to be corrected but you would only play 12 games total and then that was expanded to 13 and expanded till now you can play 16 games in a season! You can even put 13 games to your winning total and not even win your region. The playoff field is expanded so greatly the 1st games are usually absolute jokes.. It would seem to me that they would need to put an asterix in the future around coaches as they become the winningingest coaches and not doubt these 2 coaches will be taken down soon. Not because they are facing Great coaches but coaches that had lots opportunities.

I propose in the future when they're listing coaches like that there would be a listing of how many games they could have won during there careers. It would not be technically difficult. You just find out how many games were possible on the particular years that coach coached. This would be listed

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
OSU22
Varsity

Re: Winningest Coaches

Post by OSU22 »

kantucky wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:33 am Being a Fighting Tiger Fan I was absolutely elated when Ironton's Coach Bob Lutz became the winningest coach in the state. It wasn't very long after that another to coach took that spot. I've always been puzzled about that because I done a lot of research for several years before his name came up out of nowhere. Was very odd.

When coach Lutz started there were no playoff systems in place in Ohio the 1st 3 years. The playoff system started in '72 (or '73? ) andI stand to be corrected but you would only play 12 games total and then that was expanded to 13 and expanded till now you can play 16 games in a season!. You can even put 13 games to your winning totaland not even win your region. The playoff field is expanded so greatly the 1st games are usually absolute jokes.. It would seem to me that they would need to put an asterix in the future around coaches as they become the winningingest coaches and not doubt these 2 coaches will be taken down soon. Not because they are facing Great coaches but coaches that had lots opportunities.

I propose in the future when they're listing coaches like that there would be a listing of how many games they could have won during there careers. It would not be technically difficult. You just find out how many games were possible on the particular years that coach coached. This would be listed
I actually think you should put the asterisk with coaches who DIDN'T have the expanded playoffs and in the key at the bottom it would list something like *wins coming prior to playoff expansions. And then instead of making it look like the asterisk is making future coaches win total less impressive it actually would make the former winningest coaches careers more impressive. Just my opinion

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

a couple ach would still need win 10 games a year for 30 years to reach 300. I don’t see very many coaches starting today that will even coach 30 years, let alone win 10 games every year.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I get where you're coming from but this just simply not how it works. You don't get penalized or promoted based on the times in which you played, quite frankly something like winningest coaching record is almost meaningless. Everyone knows Lutz and so many consider him the top if not one of the top coaches in HS history asterisks don't need placed to make Lutz stand out more. I mean if anything the records and stats by players would need to looked at way before a coaches wins and losses.

Paladine
Waterboy

Post by Paladine »

I will say it was a lot harder to win a title and to get win totals up back in the day than it is now. Now days bad teams get in the playoffs and some win a game or two against even worse teams. Not sure how anything can be done about it though. It's all about money and less about records.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

Coach Lutz was the real deal, but this new generation does not respect what he did. From all I hear especially on here is this new generation thinks Coach Pendleton is the going to be best coach of all time.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

How many wins did Coal Grove’s Lucas end with?

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

GalliaTribe wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:04 pm Coach Lutz was the real deal, but this new generation does not respect what he did. From all I hear especially on here is this new generation thinks Coach Pendleton is the going to be best coach of all time.
Regardless, if Pendleton stays 30 years he will win 300+

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

My point was. You could wind up one day with a coach having well over 400 career wins by the time they retire. Not only do they have more opportunities to get more wins with the generous playoff pairings, the first playoff games are cupcakes for the better programs. Man, when you entered the playoffs in the 70's and 80's...that wasn't the case, you WERE going to be facing tough competition each and every week.

I don't know how many years Coach Pendleton wants to coach, and I *DID NOT* have him in mind when I started this thread, but having said that, he's sure putting a lot of notches on his belt quickly

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

kantucky wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:03 pm My point was. You could wind up one day with a coach having well over 400 career wins by the time they retire. Not only do they have more opportunities to get more wins with the generous playoff pairings, the first playoff games are cupcakes for the better programs. Man, when you entered the playoffs in the 70's and 80's...that wasn't the case, you WERE going to be facing tough competition each and every week.

I don't know how many years Coach Pendleton wants to coach, and I *DID NOT* have him in mind when I started this thread, but having said that, he's sure putting a lot of notches on his belt quickly
It’s definitely much easier to win a bigger quantity of games. Trevon wouldn’t be in such a great spot if it weren’t for Coach Lutz (and those before him) who put Ironton on the map.

Return to “Football”