Top Reasons for Transfers

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Top Reasons for Transfers

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

I know this is a highly debatable topic. Some schools and areas more than others. What are the MAIN/TOP reasons student athletes decide or choose to transfer schools?
Maybe add your opinion, is this right or wrong?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Top Reasons for Transfers

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Parents

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:21 am1. Parents
This 99.9% of the time.

Around here, parents believe their kid is a super star.

They don’t realize how big the world is. For example you could put the population of scioto county 6 times in Atlanta Georgia and still not have as many people that Atlanta has. That’s one city in one state.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

1. Parents
2. Lack of winning on one team and more opportunities to win on another
3. Better facilities
4. AAU has created opportunities for kids from different schools to play together and become closer and deciding to play together.
5. Improved opportunities and more exposure
6. Education
7. Personal reasons or issues within the school.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Some kids are told they are too good for the team and they might want to think about playing elsewhere so they can have more info get out to colleges. This happens in most sports. Sometimes being good and playing too hard just doesn't pay off.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 am 1. Parents
3. Better facilities
4. AAU has created opportunities for kids from different schools to play together and become closer and deciding to play together.
6. Education
And every single one falls back to the parent

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, just answering the OP. You however did lists the things the OP wanted to see.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 am
3. Better facilities
6. Education

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, just answering the OP. You however did lists the things the OP wanted to see.
Agree . Good posts by both. Ultimately it’s a family decision and thus no one else’s business.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

3. Better facilities
6. Education

Going to be honest I have no idea how the list above goes back to the parents, I'd love to know honestly unless you're just saying them transferring and the parent allowing it is why. To that I'd just have to respond it's not 1980 the idea of this loyal to a fault is LONG gone. Another factor I didn't list but should be listed is the player themselves, contrary to popular belief these young men and women do have a mind of their own.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

The same reason for holding a child back...it's the parents; and at the end of the day they should make the best decision for their child and it's nobody else's business. Also this notion that they are doing something wrong is ludicrous, there are guidelines, rules and regulations for doing it all properly.

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

I was thinking the same thing. It falls on the parents doing what they feel is best for their kid. Sometimes I feel like when a kid comes to Ironton their parents should run it past a couple of posters on here to make sure its ok

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

I agree it’s ultimately a family decision and nobody really needs to know why a family makes the decision to transfer. I know schools like ironton and burg get a lot of hate for transfers but there’s not a rule that kids can only transfer to those schools. I guess get your program on their level and you might see some of the same benefits from transfers that they see.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I think a lot of it just depends on where you live and what other school districts are near by the factor into it. Within Scioto and Lawrence county there are a good bunch of schools to pick from

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:56 am
3. Better facilities
6. Education

Going to be honest I have no idea how the list above goes back to the parents, I'd love to know honestly unless you're just saying them transferring and the parent allowing it is why. To that I'd just have to respond it's not 1980 the idea of this loyal to a fault is LONG gone. Another factor I didn't list but should be listed is the player themselves, contrary to popular belief these young men and women do have a mind of their own.
Again, not saying right or wrong but a student transferring is 100% the parents. They are the final straw and the deciding straw.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:18 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:56 am

Again, not saying right or wrong but a student transferring is 100% the parents. They are the final straw and the deciding straw.
Ok that's what I was wondering, all the reasons I listed are what can lead to an athlete leaving and a parent doing what they think is best for the kid just wanted to make sure that's what you meant. Because some of those reasons listed are not on the parent it's on the school for allowing it to get to that point and not giving them an option.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Every situation is unique.

For instance, if a kid transfers to Wheelersburg, it's for academics and general schoolwide culture.

If a kid transfers to Ironton, they were recruited.

Truthfully, it boils down to parents every time. Some have great reasons, others have terrible reasons. As long as rules are followed with respect to eligibility, it is what it is. You can love it or hate it, but transfers aren't going away any time soon.

One thing that people would be surprised to know is how many overall students are "transfers." It's not just athletes. I would guess that over 20% of Ironton students live in another district, and other schools have plenty of students who live in Ironton district. Families choose schools for lots of reasons.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Not always 100% on the parents. Me for example almost transferred to another school my junior year because my school was on the verge of not being able to field a soccer team. I wanted to play soccer somewhere, so I had the option to transfer. Would not have been my parents decision, if I would have ended up transferring, it would have been all me.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

1. Parents 2. Kids and kids friends, social media kids can contact each other and talk about the schools. Kids do not want to go to schools anymore that are 0-10 , 3-7 whatever every year. Social media posting about kids from a school going on college visits. And Ohio made open enrollment so transferring is that much easier.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

coaches dedication or lack of to a program
Coach A- season ends and does nothing until the start of the season the next year
Coach B- season ends and is involved in the continued development of the program

which program would you want your kid to go to

why are parents bashed for seeking out coach B?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

transplant wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:17 pm Not always 100% on the parents. Me for example almost transferred to another school my junior year because my school was on the verge of not being able to field a soccer team. I wanted to play soccer somewhere, so I had the option to transfer. Would not have been my parents decision, if I would have ended up transferring, it would have been all me.
Your parents wouldn’t have to ok the move?

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

wrestlefan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:55 pm coaches dedication or lack of to a program
Coach A- season ends and does nothing until the start of the season the next year
Coach B- season ends and is involved in the continued development of the program

which program would you want your kid to go to

why are parents bashed for seeking out coach B?
I agree. Now I know sometimes transferring schools because of sports can seem a little much because you knows it’s just high school sports and there’s more to life. But if a kid is serious about athletics and has some talent, I get why they would want to be apart of a successful program where they can succeed and grow as a player as opposed to playing at a school that runs their athletic programs like a circus show.

Return to “Football”