Portsmouth 38 Zane Trace 22 2021 Playoffs

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: Round 1 : #9 Portsmouth (7-3) @ #8 Zane Trace (8-2)

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Portsmouth is 7-3. Their wins are against teams with a combined 21-43. Their 3 losses are against teams with a combined 25-3 record. They’re averaging 35.8 points per game while giving up an average of 17.7 points per game.

Zane Trace is 8-2. Their wins are against teams with a combined 22-51 record. Their wins are against teams with a combined 12-7 record. They’re averaging 39.8 points per game while giving up an average of 13.6 points per game.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:30 am Portsmouth is 7-3. Their wins are against teams with a combined 21-43. Their 3 losses are against teams with a combined 25-3 record. They’re averaging 35.8 points per game while giving up an average of 17.7 points per game.

Zane Trace is 8-2. Their wins are against teams with a combined 22-51 record. Their wins are against teams with a combined 12-7 record. They’re averaging 39.8 points per game while giving up an average of 13.6 points per game.
Yes. If everybody is close to healthy, it is a very even game. Two different styles. ZT has some injuries also.

GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

Post by GoldenEagles2015 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 pm
GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 pm
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:24 pm

LOL ZT isn’t half as physical as Fairland or Ironton. Portsmouth defensive line is actually pretty decent. ZT will be much too slow to keep up with the Trojans. Pioneers had a nice season, hopefully the hardwood will treat them decent too. 48-20 Portsmouth
Four returning starters for Zane Trace on the o line. They will push around "pretty decent". I think that Ironton and Fairland will actually play in place of ZT.... "lol".
Maybe you’re just trying to hype up ZT or maybe you are clueless but Ironton is massive up front on both sides of the ball. Guarantee they are way more physical than ZT, Fairland as well. ZT will be flat out gassed chasing Portsmouth around all night. 8-2 is cool man, good season, but I think it’ll come to and end Saturday. At least ZT fans won’t have to travel far after suffering a season ending loss.
Massive up front on both sides of the ball? The could be true for Ironton fans but not for anyone else in Ohio. 8-2 is pretty cool, some would say even more cool than 7-3.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:09 am The 3rd through 8th place teams in the league argued as having "one of its best years" (on this thread) went 2-15 in non-league play. And, the team that supposedly will beat Portsmouth "by 21+" lost to Logan Elm-- who is really down this year.
No way does ZT beat Portsmouth by 21. That dude is just trolling he has 7 total post on here, all on this topic. Like I have stated before the week one Zt team that lost to Logan Elm is not even close to the same team you see now.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Svcguru wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 am
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:09 am The 3rd through 8th place teams in the league argued as having "one of its best years" (on this thread) went 2-15 in non-league play. And, the team that supposedly will beat Portsmouth "by 21+" lost to Logan Elm-- who is really down this year.
No way does ZT beat Portsmouth by 21. That dude is just trolling he has 7 total post on here, all on this topic. Like I have stated before the week one Zt team that lost to Logan Elm is not even close to the same team you see now.
No doubt ZT is likely improved, as they’re a good tradition. Just not a year to be chest beating “S-V-C, S-V-C!”

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 am
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 pm
GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 pm

Four returning starters for Zane Trace on the o line. They will push around "pretty decent". I think that Ironton and Fairland will actually play in place of ZT.... "lol".
Maybe you’re just trying to hype up ZT or maybe you are clueless but Ironton is massive up front on both sides of the ball. Guarantee they are way more physical than ZT, Fairland as well. ZT will be flat out gassed chasing Portsmouth around all night. 8-2 is cool man, good season, but I think it’ll come to and end Saturday. At least ZT fans won’t have to travel far after suffering a season ending loss.
Massive up front on both sides of the ball? The could be true for Ironton fans but not for anyone else in Ohio. 8-2 is pretty cool, some would say even more cool than 7-3.

Do what? You lost me there pal.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:40 am
Svcguru wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 am
No doubt ZT is likely improved, as they’re a good tradition. Just not a year to be chest beating “S-V-C, S-V-C!”
Not chanting SVC at all. In all honesty it might of been one of the worst conferences in all of ohio this year. It scares me that ZT hasn’t been battle tested much.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

What's interesting about this game is that both teams' statistically almost mirror each other (courtesy of Jason Vorhees), and both played in conferences that didn't have stellar seasons.

I do think that playing Ironton the previous week should help Portsmouth vs. ZT in that the Fighting Tigers' defense is the best in Region 19.....and PHS did move the ball on them, not only in the first half either. They just didn't finish well, especially with the turnover at the 1 yard line.

BigOof
Waterboy

Post by BigOof »

trojandave wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:13 pm BuckeyeBlood: There were a lot of people I talked to who were upset about using the shotgun formation at the 1 yard line with 40 seconds to go in the first half vs. Ironton. I think that a more conventional approach of just a straight handoff from under center would have gained 1 yard for the TD in 4 downs.

Edit: I said initially that the Trojans had an empty backfield on that possession at the 1. They did not, but they were in the shotgun.
Ik that the Trojans line isn't great, but I believe they are good enough to run power I from the 1 with Carr in the backfield and be able to get a score. IMO of course. Carr is an athlete as we have seen all year but he was a RB his first couple of years and did well at it when he got the chance as he was behind Talyn Parker during those years.

BigOof
Waterboy

Post by BigOof »

GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:55 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:14 pm I’ll take portsmout in this one I wouldnt use Roe unless absolutely needed this week and save him for the rematch at Ironton. I think Portsmouth won’t have much of a problem stopping ZAne traces run and win by a few scores I say 31-13 Trojans
I hope they sit Roe as well because Zane Trace will win by 21+ if that’s the case. I think that the Zane Trace offensive line does not get the credit they deserve. Portsmouth has been bad against the run all year. All of their losses have come to teams that are far more physical. That is what Zane Trace will be. Great offensive line play, and a three-headed rushing attack, plus if they sit Roe to start, ZT by 21+.
That is very much incorrect. Through most of the season, the Trojans had allowed some of the lowest rush yds and hadn't allowed a rushing touchdown until about halfway into the season. They were bad against the run in the second half vs Ironton. That's it. The Fairland game is hard to tell considering the conditions that affected both teams' ability to even stand up and not slip every play. Portsmouth lost to Waverly and Fairland by 1 point each and was beating Ironton by 2 at the half. To say they are bad against the run is incorrect and to say that their losses came to teams that were "far more physical" is just as much if not more so incorrect.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I think Portsmouth having played much better teams (Ironton Waverly Fairland) compared to Zane Trace who the best team they played was Piketon will have paid off.
Portsmouth victory

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

BigOof wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:01 pm
GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:55 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:14 pm I’ll take portsmout in this one I wouldnt use Roe unless absolutely needed this week and save him for the rematch at Ironton. I think Portsmouth won’t have much of a problem stopping ZAne traces run and win by a few scores I say 31-13 Trojans
I hope they sit Roe as well because Zane Trace will win by 21+ if that’s the case. I think that the Zane Trace offensive line does not get the credit they deserve. Portsmouth has been bad against the run all year. All of their losses have come to teams that are far more physical. That is what Zane Trace will be. Great offensive line play, and a three-headed rushing attack, plus if they sit Roe to start, ZT by 21+.
That is very much incorrect. Through most of the season, the Trojans had allowed some of the lowest rush yds and hadn't allowed a rushing touchdown until about halfway into the season. They were bad against the run in the second half vs Ironton. That's it. The Fairland game is hard to tell considering the conditions that affected both teams' ability to even stand up and not slip every play. Portsmouth lost to Waverly and Fairland by 1 point each and was beating Ironton by 2 at the half. To say they are bad against the run is incorrect and to say that their losses came to teams that were "far more physical" is just as much if not more so incorrect.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out what I missed also.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 pm I think Portsmouth having played much better teams (Ironton Waverly Fairland) compared to Zane Trace who the best team they played was Piketon will have paid off.
Portsmouth victory
Not that it matters because they will play ON the field Saturday. Stats don't mean much then.

Calpreps.com: Ohio D5

Portsmouth #22 Rank, -1.0 Schedule Strength, 46-46 opp record
Zane Trace #48 Rank, -21.1 Schedule Strength, 34-58 opp record

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Bozo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 pm
Kicker. wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 pm I think Portsmouth having played much better teams (Ironton Waverly Fairland) compared to Zane Trace who the best team they played was Piketon will have paid off.
Portsmouth victory
Not that it matters because they will play ON the field Saturday. Stats don't mean much then.

Calpreps.com: Ohio D5

Portsmouth #22 Rank, -1.0 Schedule Strength, 46-46 opp record
Zane Trace #48 Rank, -21.1 Schedule Strength, 34-58 opp record
As a wise man once said that is why they play the games

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck trojans

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

The SVC as a conference is down this year in football, no doubt. Can't argue that. But Piketon has an offense that score on anybody, even Ironton, Fairland, Portsmouth, etc. ZT is a very solid team and can compete with those teams as well. Don't sleep on them is all I am saying. This is going to be a good one.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I'm not convinced the OVC being better than the SVC has as much bearing on this game as others. I remember in 2007 we played a killer schedule and were the next to smallest school in the Seoal just ahead of Ironton and everything thought we would kill Licking Heights because they had played 8 teams that were a division or two smaller than them. They beat us 42-34. I've also seen us as an independent just schedule whoever we could to put together a 10 game schedule and then tear it up in the playoffs. I think s.o.s only really comes into play of everything else is equal.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

I’ll take Portsmouth by 2-3 scores.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I don’t see piketon scoring consistently on Ironton no way!

Irontons last 48 games only 7 teams have put up 20 points of offense and 5 of those were in 2018 Pendleton’s first season

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

It's game day. The weather doesn't look terrible tonight low to mid 50's with a 25-45% chance of rain. We played well in the rain a few times, as long as we have turf under our feet the weather shouldn't play a huge factor.

Return to “Football”