Portsmouth 38 Zane Trace 22 2021 Playoffs

packers80
SE

Re: Round 1 : #9 Portsmouth (7-3) @ #8 Zane Trace (8-2)

Post by packers80 »

Trojans move on to round 2.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Good luck to the Trojans, don't know a think about zt always fun to see new teams and new fields

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am Good luck to the Trojans, don't know a think about zt always fun to see new teams and new fields
Field is nice. New turf about 4 years ago. Bleachers are a little tight.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Is the Portsmouth QB playing? Saw him limp off the field a couple times against Ironton. Did not look like anything major.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Parking at Zt is limited close to the field, most of the parking is back by the school. Facilities are nice, and seating is on the smaller side. Portsmouth better not overlook ZT, they are well coached. Have a 2 time state champion coach as an assistant in Ron Himton. Good luck to fellow Svc Pioneers.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Bozo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 am Is the Portsmouth QB playing? Saw him limp off the field a couple times against Ironton. Did not look like anything major.

At first they was thinking acl but thankfully it wasn't im not 100 percent but I heard he should be good to go

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Thanks for the information....I honestly doubt portsmouth is over looking zt , they have an 8 and 2 record so no matter the conference thats a good record I also see they are capable of putting up big numbers

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 am Thanks for the information....I honestly doubt portsmouth is over looking zt , they have an 8 and 2 record so no matter the conference thats a good record I also see they are capable of putting up big numbers
7-3 but should be 8-2 if we played Gallia

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29 am
biggdowgg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 am Thanks for the information....I honestly doubt portsmouth is over looking zt , they have an 8 and 2 record so no matter the conference thats a good record I also see they are capable of putting up big numbers
7-3 but should be 8-2 if we played Gallia

Was talking about zane trace

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Drew Roe's health is critical to any playoff success that Portsmouth will have. From what has been posted so far, it looks good for Drew to play vs. ZT. The Trojans' are very capable of playing good football against good teams, as they showed vs. a really good #1 seed Ironton team with a 9-7 lead at halftime.

The unknown in this game is whether the Trojans or Pioneers will have a few surprises for the other team or stick to what they've done all season. Success in the redzone will determine the winner of this game.

Portsmouth will have to play 4 good quarters of football to come away with the win. Whether the SVC was down this year to me is not a factor, because the OVC wasn't that strong either. ZT is 8-2 and a worthy opponent for PHS. Coming off the Ironton game should be a plus for Portsmouth, given how good the Fighting Tigers' defense was. Nobody in Region 19 has a defense like they do.

GO TROJANS!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Good points trojan Dave , and if we do keep playing the same exact offense we could be done Saturday, and for sure we will be done going against Ironton with it.

This time of year doing what got you here doesn't always work everyone has seen it time to mix it up and leave it on the field.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Not really sure what Portsmouth could do to change their offense and be successful in the matter of 6 days. The line isn’t good enough to sustain blocks for Roe to drop straight back in the shotgun. He’s not tall enough to go under center and see over the line, also heard he can’t handle the snap under center well. The line doesn’t move anyone off the ball, this is why the run game hasn’t really worked well this year. Quick screen pass they continue to use also doesn’t work, they need to scrap that. But I’m really unsure what they could do to change the offense up and it work?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Im.not sure either, but doing what didn't work doesn't make sense either ?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I agree with you, I’m just not sure what the change could be. Need something though, especially if we were able to get Ironton a 2nd time. What we did in the 2nd half didn’t work, so it’s not going to work if there’s a round 2.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Agreed , but let's hope for the best and hope for no injuries, because I'm pretty exited and ready for basketball 😀

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

BuckeyeBlood: There were a lot of people I talked to who were upset about using the shotgun formation at the 1 yard line with 40 seconds to go in the first half vs. Ironton. I think that a more conventional approach of just a straight handoff from under center would have gained 1 yard for the TD in 4 downs.

Edit: I said initially that the Trojans had an empty backfield on that possession at the 1. They did not, but they were in the shotgun.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

One of the best plays I thought was going to happen was that 4th and 1 when roe was in shotgun then ran under center real fast I thought that’s smart takes away the 3-5 extra yards but ended up being a play to try to draw them offsides then a timeout. Porsmouth in the red zone and closer is iffy, roe makes it work with his legs but they depend on big plays. I think under center vs ironton would of put another score or 2 on the board. I can’t predict a score now because I don’t know anything about Zane trace.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:18 pm
petesweaty wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:32 pm Zane Trace has only won two playoff games and they were in the same season. They defeated River Valley and Alexander in 2015, then got smashed by Wheelersburg. The Pioneers have never came close any other time.

This may be the first time ever Portsmouth and Zane Trace have played in Football.
This would be correct, although we did play Kingston in the early 1900's which I'm assuming would have been consolidated into Zane Trace?
I was told at school today that Kingston did have some football a long time ago. Most of the pictures from back then only had like 6 players on the field for Kingston. Serious advantage for the other team. :lol:

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 am If Portsmouth's offense is clicking it would be pretty hard to score enough points to beat then without throwing the ball. They haven't given up many rushing touchdowns this year and the ones they have were mainly garbage time or Ironton.
Was thinking the same thing. This will probably be the most speed that Zane Trace has seen this year.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

ZT has a very athletic senior Qb who was all-ohio last year. 3 good RB’s (one junior and two sophomores) that run hard down hill. 2 big athletic TE’s (senior and junior) who are the main receivers. They have a large Offensive Line 3 seniors, two Sophomores) (3 pushing 300lbs). On defense they have a small but fast defensive line that will get after the QB, two senior LB’s that lead the team in tackles. 3 safety’s (2 seniors & junior) and two defensive backs who are both sophomores. One being a 6’3 athletic kid. The key to Zane Trace in this game is to contain Portsmouths Qb and keep him in the pocket. Zt’s secondary will have to not break down in coverage when Portsmouth’s Qb scrambles and tackle in space when Portsmouth throws the flanker screen. I can see Zt playing there Qb Nichols on defense. He has played Defensive back against passing teams. For Portsmouth it’s simple you will have to stop the run and contain Zt’s Qb. Zt does have a good kicker with a strong leg. This game could come down to a special teams play. Zt hasn’t played the toughest schedule and is a much different team than a one point loss to Logan elm in week one. Zt is 5 points away from being 10-0. Not sure how this game will go and this could be the toughest test of the season for ZT. Dont overlook this ZT team or take them lightly and I’m sure Portsmouth won’t. Go Pioneers!

Return to “Football”