Portsmouth 38 Zane Trace 22 2021 Playoffs

Bozo
S

Re: Round 1 : #9 Portsmouth (7-3) @ #8 Zane Trace (8-2)

Post by Bozo »

Svcguru wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 pm ZT has a very athletic senior Qb who was all-ohio last year. 3 good RB’s (one junior and two sophomores) that run hard down hill. 2 big athletic TE’s (senior and junior) who are the main receivers. They have a large Offensive Line 3 seniors, two Sophomores) (3 pushing 300lbs). On defense they have a small but fast defensive line that will get after the QB, two senior LB’s that lead the team in tackles. 3 safety’s (2 seniors & junior) and two defensive backs who are both sophomores. One being a 6’3 athletic kid. The key to Zane Trace in this game is to contain Portsmouths Qb and keep him in the pocket. Zt’s secondary will have to not break down in coverage when Portsmouth’s Qb scrambles and tackle in space when Portsmouth throws the flanker screen. I can see Zt playing there Qb Nichols on defense. He has played Defensive back against passing teams. For Portsmouth it’s simple you will have to stop the run and contain Zt’s Qb. Zt does have a good kicker with a strong leg. This game could come down to a special teams play. Zt hasn’t played the toughest schedule and is a much different team than a one point loss to Logan elm in week one. Zt is 5 points away from being 10-0. Not sure how this game will go and this could be the toughest test of the season for ZT. Dont overlook this ZT team or take them lightly and I’m sure Portsmouth won’t. Go Pioneers!
Portsmouth's three losses are to teams with a 25-3 record. Two one point losses and a huge Ironton second half after leading at the half. None of that makes a difference Saturday night.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I think this is honestly a really even matchup, as the 8-9 game should be. Seems like there will a lot of good athletes all over the field. ZT were a few points from 10-0 I read, Portsmouth was a few points from 9-1. ZT will have to stop the passing game, Portsmouth will have to stop the run game. Winner will have their hands full with Ironton, but all that maters right now is each other. I’m not sure I’ll be at this game. I hate to miss it, but it’s at the same darn time as Ohio State & Penn State, as well as Trick or Treat. I’d like to go, never been to ZT, looks like a decent place, but we will see. Go Trojans!

Who Dey!
GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

Post by GoldenEagles2015 »

jenkinstyler89 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm Portsmouth played Ironton tough if QB Roe is okay give me Trojans by 7
Ironton is overrated, play a very weak schedule and have hardly been truly tested. Play all of their big games at home. Zane Trace by 14+.

GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

Everyone is going to point out that Portsmouth played Ironton close. I do not understand this parallel. Zane Trace is a different beast! Ironton will not advance past round two, you will see Zane trace in at least the regional final. Zane trace by 14+.

GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

Kicker. wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm One of the weakest years ever in the SVC I think Portsmouth offense is dynamic enough to win it. ZT kept Piketon in check but I feel Portsmouth’s offense can have enough success to win
I thought this was one of the better years for the SVC, can’t get caught up in statistics. Watch “ZT” handle Portsmouth in what I think will be one of the less competitive 8/9 matchups of the playoffs this year. Zane Trace is talented they have excellent depth.

GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:14 pm I’ll take portsmout in this one I wouldnt use Roe unless absolutely needed this week and save him for the rematch at Ironton. I think Portsmouth won’t have much of a problem stopping ZAne traces run and win by a few scores I say 31-13 Trojans
I hope they sit Roe as well because Zane Trace will win by 21+ if that’s the case. I think that the Zane Trace offensive line does not get the credit they deserve. Portsmouth has been bad against the run all year. All of their losses have come to teams that are far more physical. That is what Zane Trace will be. Great offensive line play, and a three-headed rushing attack, plus if they sit Roe to start, ZT by 21+.
Last edited by GoldenEagles2015 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I'm thinking I was there a few years ago to watch West and Johnstown Monroe in the 2nd round. If it's the school I'm thinking of it was a little on the small side but I remember it being clean and well kept.

Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragonsbreath12 »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 am
Bozo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 am Is the Portsmouth QB playing? Saw him limp off the field a couple times against Ironton. Did not look like anything major.

At first they was thinking acl but thankfully it wasn't im not 100 percent but I heard he should be good to go

He went in and out a few times mainly just limping off. I think the score and how much pressure ironton began to get and started hitting him a lot played a role in him not returning to the game. They didnt want him banged up anymore than he was with the playoffs ahead and ironton having a big lead. It was pointless in keeping him out there.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

So, the question is...is Roe playing?

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:10 am I'm thinking I was there a few years ago to watch West and Johnstown Monroe in the 2nd round. If it's the school I'm thinking of it was a little on the small side but I remember it being clean and well kept.
West and Johnstown Monroe played a Regional Final game at Zane Trace a few years back.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

transplant wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:23 am So, the question is...is Roe playing?
Everything is pointing that direction. I would say we will have a better answer by midweek. Duncan actually throws a nice ball and comes from a family of athletes so I'm sure he can scramble some, it would just be asking a lot to come in and win a playoff game in your first varsity start. We would probably have to change our gameplan to accommodate him and that's hard to do in one week.

GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

Kicker. wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm One of the weakest years ever in the SVC I think Portsmouth offense is dynamic enough to win it. ZT kept Piketon in check but I feel Portsmouth’s offense can have enough success to win
This has been one of the best years in the SVC. They are weak because they are playing each other, and ZT just came out as one of the top teams. Good QB, three good backs, and a much better o line than the defensive front over at Portsmouth. ZT by 14+. Every game Portsmouth has lost this year, they have been less physical than their opponent. That holds true this week as well. Probably the least competitive 8/9 in the state.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

From all reports I've heard, Drew Roe will play Saturday. He was banged up at Ironton, but it was not a major injury like first believed.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Good to hear. Thanks

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

trojandave wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:05 pm From all reports I've heard, Drew Roe will play Saturday. He was banged up at Ironton, but it was not a major injury like first believed.
Definitely good to hear I picked them to win this game without him anyways but with the QB healthy I say 41-20 Trojans

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Good luck to the Trojans!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
GoldenEagles2015
Waterboy

ZT by 21+. One of the least competitive 8/9 matchups in the state. More physical and more depth in the backfield. Portsmouth will grow tired.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm ZT by 21+. One of the least competitive 8/9 matchups in the state. More physical and more depth in the backfield. Portsmouth will grow tired.
It is not the least competitive 8/9 game in the state. :lol: ZT could grow tired chasing the PHS wideouts and QB.
Zane Trace is physical. Roe plays it is a toss-up game. If he does not play, ZT wins by 14+.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

GoldenEagles2015 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm ZT by 21+. One of the least competitive 8/9 matchups in the state. More physical and more depth in the backfield. Portsmouth will grow tired.
LOL ZT isn’t half as physical as Fairland or Ironton. Portsmouth defensive line is actually pretty decent. ZT will be much too slow to keep up with the Trojans. Pioneers had a nice season, hopefully the hardwood will treat them decent too. 48-20 Portsmouth

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Zane Trace will want to pound the rock and slow the game down. Portsmouth will push tempo and maximize possessions two drastically different styles. I think if Roe is healthy that’s a big time advantage for Portsmouth because he makes their offense go. He uses all the WR he’s loves 40 tho it seems. Would like to see them get 3 more involved he’s legit.
Should be a great game

Return to “Football”