Logan Football League Talk

beg003
All Conference

Re: Can we get a league to take Logan?

Post by beg003 »

Ff3233 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:12 pm
beg003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:08 pm
Ff3233 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:59 pm

It's a community thing. Why do you think Waterford and Fort Frye have been so successful in so many sports in both boys and girls? Our families and students buy into working hard and putting in the time at a young age. It doesn't start in the 9th grade but in 3rd or 4th. You act like we are lucky getting athletes. Both schools have helped make and mold these athletes and it's not stopping soon. What you should be asking is when will schools like Marietta, Logan, or Ripley start getting athletes
Having played against FF and Waterford my entire life, I truly understand what you’re saying. The community support is outstanding. However, making runs like that across multiple sports at the small school level is a good bit easier, especially where we live, than even at the mid-size school level. The talent pool as a whole, at small schools in general, is less than the bigger schools. Not debating their success at all, it speaks for itself, but to demean bigger schools for not doing the same isn’t necessarily fair due to the increased amount of talent and numbers.
Not demeaning anyone. I'm saying why do others think our talent pool will eventually run out? Why are they not questioning the present and future talent pool of the bigger schools? And if the talent pool is larger then why are these bigger schools so bad? Just trying to get people to realize that talent and size of school can be somewhat overcome by work ethic and commitment
And your final point is a fair one. And the bigger schools, many times, seem worse than what they are because if they have an off game, they get punished for it and lose because there are simply more good teams in the bigger divisions. Your schedule this year is an exception to most small schools. It was brutal. But when you were in the PVC, you could get by without playing your best in several games. I think that’s a fair statement, would you agree? And, for the record, I don’t see Fort Frye trending down in football in the near future. As long as Huck is there and he has even average talent, you all will be relevant. He appears to be what makes the clock tick.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

beg003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:27 pm
beg003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:08 pm
Having played against FF and Waterford my entire life, I truly understand what you’re saying. The community support is outstanding. However, making runs like that across multiple sports at the small school level is a good bit easier, especially where we live, than even at the mid-size school level. The talent pool as a whole, at small schools in general, is less than the bigger schools. Not debating their success at all, it speaks for itself, but to demean bigger schools for not doing the same isn’t necessarily fair due to the increased amount of talent and numbers.
Not demeaning anyone. I'm saying why do others think our talent pool will eventually run out? Why are they not questioning the present and future talent pool of the bigger schools? And if the talent pool is larger then why are these bigger schools so bad? Just trying to get people to realize that talent and size of school can be somewhat overcome by work ethic and commitment
And your final point is a fair one. And the bigger schools, many times, seem worse than what they are because if they have an off game, they get punished for it and lose because there are simply more good teams in the bigger divisions. Your schedule this year is an exception to most small schools. It was brutal. But when you were in the PVC, you could get by without playing your best in several games. I think that’s a fair statement, would you agree? And, for the record, I don’t see Fort Frye trending down in football in the near future. As long as Huck is there and he has even average talent, you all will be relevant. He appears to be what makes the clock tick.
The downfall of the pvc began when jobs left Monroe and noble County. For years Monroe central and Caldwell were very good football schools, throw in Beallsville and Shenandoah and you had a very good football conference. Unfortunately for ff our turnaround didn't occur until the down turn of these schools. In terms of our schedule, I'm happy being independent as long as we're guaranteed getting 10 games which has proven difficult. I like playing a difficult schedule but it makes it hard for a smaller school like us. When I talk of Marietta, if they're OK playing st Mary's and Williamstown or Shenandoah and river why not ff? I'm hoping our run lasts, and agree eric and staff are and will be the reason it is sustained

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Ff3233 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:05 pm
The downfall of the pvc began when jobs left Monroe and noble County. For years Monroe central and Caldwell were very good football schools, throw in Beallsville and Shenandoah and you had a very good football conference. Unfortunately for ff our turnaround didn't occur until the down turn of these schools. In terms of our schedule, I'm happy being independent as long as we're guaranteed getting 10 games which has proven difficult. I like playing a difficult schedule but it makes it hard for a smaller school like us. When I talk of Marietta, if they're OK playing st Mary's and Williamstown or Shenandoah and river why not ff? I'm hoping our run lasts, and agree eric and staff are and will be the reason it is sustained
I still don’t see why Marietta won’t play you. We may not have been very good this year, but we showed up and played hard and we’ll do the same next year and hopefully for a while after that.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

beg003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:17 pm
I still don’t see why Marietta won’t play you. We may not have been very good this year, but we showed up and played hard and we’ll do the same next year and hopefully for a while after that.
We offered them a 3yr contract where we would come to them all 3 years. Hard to beat that

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Ff3233 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:19 pm

We offered them a 3yr contract where we would come to them all 3 years. Hard to beat that
Agreed. But, they don’t or won’t (don’t know the situation) play you in anything else either so it might be something else entirely. I’ve never seen them play you in basketball, and only in baseball a handful of times.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

beg003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:23 pm
Ff3233 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:19 pm
Agreed. But, they don’t or won’t (don’t know the situation) play you in anything else either so it might be something else entirely. I’ve never seen them play you in basketball, and only in baseball a handful of times.
Played us in girls basketball, had us on for boys when covid hit. We played them in bball when I was in school but that was forever ago

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Dundas wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:42 pm
loganlocos wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:31 pm
Dandy Don wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:22 pm No one in SE Ohio is afraid of Logan - are you high? Your winning percentage over the last 5-6 years is like 28%.
The bottom line is Logan's enrollment is too high for SE Ohio and too geographically isolated from central Ohio school's with similar enrollment.

I'm not saying anyone is "afraid" - but most SE Ohio school's have said they don't want Logan due to their enrollment.
I would like to see VC and Logan play in the jamboree game. Great gate for both teams. Also, could be a preview of a possible non conference game down the line.
I would love a jamboree game with VC. I feel like it would draw a big crowd. It's a great basketball rivalry- and could be one in football too IMO.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:54 pm Licking County League has 11 members and divisions of 5 and 6 teams. I think Logan should approach them and try to get a football agreement. Not a league member. Just an agreement to play LCL bye teams weeks 4-10. If it goes well, it might set up a league membership down the road.
Logan has been in consistent communication with the LCL. I believe Logan would agree to that in a heartbeat FWIW.

Paladin `
Waterboy

Post by Paladin ` »

Dandy Don wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:22 pm
Paladin ` wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:51 am VC and Athens want no part of Logan and they've proven that by not allowing them into the TVC. VC is afraid of the competition and Athens is an infamous cut-n-run school. Marietta and Warren would be great but can't get them with out a few others to join. Most of the other schools that make sense are also scared of competition.
No one in SE Ohio is afraid of Logan - are you high? Your winning percentage over the last 5-6 years is like 28%.
Yeah, that's proven by them voting "no" for adding them to their leagues. Especially the TVC. But it's understandable since Logan beats them even in down years as Logan's two wins this year came against TVC Ohio teams. VC and Wellston won't even put them on the schedule because of how scared they are to play them. But you keep on thinking the way you do and keep ducking competition. It seems to be working well for you.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

What year did Logan petition the TVC?
Last edited by Dundas on Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am
Dundas wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:42 pm
loganlocos wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:31 pm

The bottom line is Logan's enrollment is too high for SE Ohio and too geographically isolated from central Ohio school's with similar enrollment.

I'm not saying anyone is "afraid" - but most SE Ohio school's have said they don't want Logan due to their enrollment.
I would like to see VC and Logan play in the jamboree game. Great gate for both teams. Also, could be a preview of a possible non conference game down the line.
I would love a jamboree game with VC. I feel like it would draw a big crowd. It's a great basketball rivalry- and could be one in football too IMO.
I’ve actually spoken to Coach Carper about this and he agrees it would be a good test for VC and a great gate for both schools. Plus the trip is short.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

I think a set-up like this could work if all parties involved were on the same page.

Logan
Athens
Marietta
Warren
Parkersburg, WV
Parkersburg South, WV

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

Why do they not join the Capital Division of the OCC????

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

TVC Ohio should add Warren and Logan-- move River Valley to the hocking. Would be great for basketball and football for the Ohio side of TVC. Lets make it happen.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

You could move Alexander to the Hocking also if needed.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Just for discussion, for football, is the need for being in a league relevant? With the expanded playoff format, are teams better off with an independent schedule designed to either enhance points or face tougher competition as needed?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:05 am Just for discussion, for football, is the need for being in a league relevant? With the expanded playoff format, are teams better off with an independent schedule designed to either enhance points or face tougher competition as needed?
As long as you can find 10 regular season games being independent is the way to go. Problem is we are having an issue finding 10 games because others are in leagues, can't match up weeks to play, or just don't want to play. I loved our schedule this year and boy was it tough. But playing up every game with 33 kids makes it very hard

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:05 am Just for discussion, for football, is the need for being in a league relevant? With the expanded playoff format, are teams better off with an independent schedule designed to either enhance points or face tougher competition as needed?
Aside from the scheduling benefits, the recognition for kids is a positive. Not every team is going to make a serious tournament run in every sport and not every kid who has a fine season is going to get recognition. A league makes more games meaningful in the moment and also gets more kids some accolades at the end of the season. Some teams have bigger goals, yes, but there’s still a value for a lot of other teams/players.

Enforcer
Freshman Team

Post by Enforcer »

I'd likd to see Logan, N-Y, Athens, Trimble, Waterford and FFform a league

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Logan
Jackson
Gallia
Warren
Marietta
Athens

If the Great SEOAL expansion didn’t happen, these schools would still be together.

Return to “Football”