Playoff attendance

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Playoff attendance

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Reasons beyond my control kept me home last night.
I did watch the Dayton Northridge at Massie game and was able to see the visitors side really clear and though it is very small it was maybe 60% full (Estimated). How was the attendance at other games?

portsmouth_98
All State

Re: Playoff attendance

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I was about 50/50 on the Waverly game. I live about 35 minutes away and it's an easy drive but between the $12 gate and the weather I declined going. The announcers commented on the game having lackluster attendance also.

Jimbob2023
Riding the Bench

Post by Jimbob2023 »

Jackson game was poorly attended for a Jackson game. Visitors side had maybe 30 folks there from Columbus south. As I walked to the visitors side concessions I noticed that the Jackson home side was MAYBE half full.
I think the weather really hurt.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Jimbob2023 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:35 am Jackson game was poorly attended for a Jackson game. Visitors side had maybe 30 folks there from Columbus south. As I walked to the visitors side concessions I noticed that the Jackson home side was MAYBE half full.
Same for Waverly last night. Valley View side was less than half full. Waverly I would say was more than half but not much more than that, definitely not as much as in previous years for a typical playoff game or big game. But like you said the weather really hurt last nights playoff games for attendance. I believe if the weather was clear, many more people would have came out. Also, being able to sit at home and watch will keep some people away no matter what school they root for. If we ever get completely back to normal, I will be curious to see how the OHSAA handles allowing schools to stream if attendance does indeed decline, wouldn’t be surprised if they make schools charge for the stream and then want a cut.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Last night was the least number of home fans I have seen attend a Tri-Valley game in the last 15 years or so. I do think the rain had a lot to do with it, but online tickets only and $10 price I am sure kept some away.

Bellefontaine crowd I would guess was mostly parents. Outside of Columbus City League teams, the smallest playoff crowd I have seen an opposing team bring.

No rain tonight, but Saturday games competing against the Buckeyes night game.

My guess is, OHSAA still will consider it a win for them financially. I was not for moving to 16 teams making it in per region, but after watching #14 seed Bellefontaine win a very evenly matched game against #3 Tri-Valley (the better team won), I'm good with it now. HIgher seeds will win the vast majority in the round of 16, but from a fairness standpoint more teams get a chance to make a playoff run. (Also of note: Bellefontaine had a running back return last night who had been out for weeks. He was clearly the best player on the field and was a major impact on the game.)

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

$12 a ticket for a playoff game that should not have taken place is the reason why the average person would not attend.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

The Burg game was poorly attended as well

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth and Zane trace was a pretty sad showing too. Lots of seats on both sides. Maybe the buckeyes game had something to do with it and chance of rain. I bought tickets and decided to stay home but at 4 o clock I checked radar and it showed clear and couldn’t miss the kids play so we went. Glad I did it was a pretty good game.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:05 am Portsmouth and Zane trace was a pretty sad showing too. Lots of seats on both sides. Maybe the buckeyes game had something to do with it and chance of rain. I bought tickets and decided to stay home but at 4 o clock I checked radar and it showed clear and couldn’t miss the kids play so we went. Glad I did it was a pretty good game.
Smaller crowd than expected at Zane Trace. They missed an entertaining game.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I doubt 1000 fans were at Ironton last night. Let’s say 800-900. At even $10 a ticket, that’s just under $10k. Even after paying officials, schools, mileage, etc., OHSAA still has to clear $3k-$4k a game.

Over 224 “extra” games, even a $3k profit per game is nearly $700,000. That isn’t going away any time soon. 16 here to stay, as dumb as it may be.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Online tickets only is a joke ohsaa is actually losing money now The Burg game last night was the lowest attendance I have ever seen at the Ed very poor decision by ohsaa hopefully they learn from this cause they have made a very very bad decision on the tickets

Burg grad 85
IronNation95
Waterboy

Post by IronNation95 »

With most good high school games, I’d guess about 50+% of the crowd, doesn’t have a kid or grandkid playing in the game. They’re just football fans.
So many reasons to stay home this week:
Weather
Ticket prices
Having to pay online
Trick or Treat

It understandably kept a lot of fans away.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC had more fans at Meadowbrook than the Colts did. Not sure about all of the other schools low attendance but for a 2 hour drive in the rain, VC showed up.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Very disappointed in the Burg vs West rematch. I know the first game was a stinker. And rain and the buckeyes probably effected a little. But this was a playoff game against your cross county, bitter rival. Probably 40 percent of the bleachers filled on both sides. And that's a shame because it was a great ball game.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Saturday is a big deal too. Have to compete with college football, which is especially impossible when Ohio State plays late. Add in weather, competition, and overpriced tickets, it’s going to impact attendance. OHSAA making theirs, so I doubt they care. Just worry they are killing the goose by chasing the gold.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I thought the crowd at Piketon last night was excellent on both sides

Waverly on Friday was very small overall (counting VV too), but I’m guessing the weather had something to do with that

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

16 is here to stay. At 500 x10=5000, take out the officiating charge and the minimal fee the OHSAA gives the hosting school. OHSAA makes 2,000-3000 on just 500 going to game. Its a money winner for OHSAA. Also, more lower seeded teams won than I expected so I believe 16 is here to stay.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

scott1297 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:33 am Online tickets only is a joke ohsaa is actually losing money now The Burg game last night was the lowest attendance I have ever seen at the Ed very poor decision by ohsaa hopefully they learn from this cause they have made a very very bad decision on the tickets
Could not have said it better. Ohsaa is making a mistake
#ohsaa$

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Jimbob2023 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:35 am Jackson game was poorly attended for a Jackson game. Visitors side had maybe 30 folks there from Columbus south. As I walked to the visitors side concessions I noticed that the Jackson home side was MAYBE half full.
D
I think we counted 42 fans for Columbus South. Couldn't believe the small crowd for Jackson, especially it being a home playoff game. I really don't think the weather was the main reason for the smaller crowd, especially for Jackson. About what I expected for a City league team out of Columbus. This has nothing to do with the crowd size at all, but I don't think that I can ever remember a visiting teams band, ( Maybe 30 members plus 6 dancers ) after they and the Jackson band preformed their halftime shows, marched straight out of the stadium to their buses, and I suppose headed back too Columbus.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Over priced tickets
Online sales only
No ticket sales at the gate

Stayed home and I love high school football but not sure about the weather with a $12 price on the day of the game and have to buy on line. All of this together just makes it too easy to stay home and be dry and warm. Then add on can watch a game on OHSAA.TV for less than driving to the game and purchasing a ticket even if you have to pay for the streamed game.

Return to “Football”