River 53 Berne Union 21 2021 Playoffs

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Re: River 53 Berne Union 21 2021 Playoffs

Post by OvGuy »

icanpickem wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:31 am I think river's coach summed it up nicely......

It was an 11-guy effort,” Flannery said. “We knew who their playmakers were. (Friesner), (Nemeth) and (Amnah, that’s who their guys were and that’s who we had to stop. I know they’re a senior-led team and have some big dudes up front, but we’ve been battle tested throughout the year, we lost to three one-loss teams, and our kids just understand about playing in the fourth quarter.”
I think if you ask anyone involved with the River program, especially after this season no matter win, lose or draw they have no problem playing anyone and will always step up to the challenge no matter the outcome.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

icanpickem wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:31 am I think river's coach summed it up nicely......

It was an 11-guy effort,” Flannery said. “We knew who their playmakers were. (Friesner), (Nemeth) and (Amnah, that’s who their guys were and that’s who we had to stop. I know they’re a senior-led team and have some big dudes up front, but we’ve been battle tested throughout the year, we lost to three one-loss teams, and our kids just understand about playing in the fourth quarter.”
Yeah he summed it up real nice while inadvertently taking a shot at their schedule. Basically said what some on here have said, the entire time they haven't played 4 quarters. Shoot in some games their starting offense ran 20 plays and didn't see the 3rd quarter.

rsims
Waterboy

Re: #7 River vs #2 Berne Union

Post by rsims »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:10 pm
OvGuy wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:56 pm I understand heat of the moment and you don’t want to be an adult bashing kids that are playing and trying their best but once River went up and matched BU’s first score you could see them get down on themselves and it snowballed since they didn’t face any sort of adversity all season a player who hasn’t had to deal with his emotions once this year has them pop up all at once. I gave BU the benefit of the doubt to start the second half but when you’re point for first downs when you’re down by 20 that’s just not the attitude that’s gonna win you games in November.
This is exactly what I had been getting at earlier this year.

I've watched many of these kids play across the other sports. The kid who was ejected is notorious for tearing down his teammates, even when he personally screws up, in baseball season and goes out of his way to show up opposing players and coaches when they win and lose. They lost a district final this spring in significant part to him making a massive screw-up only for him to later be barking and swearing at his teammate in front of the entire crowd to see. The star player on the perimeter wearing the two-digit jersey is the same way. The third kid that comes off the top of my head, who didn't even play in the second half (I'm hearing that he quit in the locker room at half???) literally was walking down the sideline returning to the huddle -- 50 yards away -- in the transition from 2nd down to 3rd down and almost earned them a delay of game when it was still a one-score River lead. In fact, I don't see how that WASN'T a delay of game.

/break/

I do want to take a moment and say that there are some truly great-hearted and spirited kids that play for BU who are above the fray but unfortunately can't do anything to break the crap. Lots of effort in every play, but the ship is steered directly by super-talented kids with significant issues between the ears. The really sad part is some of those remarkable, awesome kids (they do exist) just played their last game of football as seniors. I do look forward to watching them play in basketball and baseball... just not some of their moron teammates who are also playing those sports.
Well Said.. IF Berne could have matched the intensity of River and made the Long Pass plays down the field that the star players were making all year score would have been aliitle closer. BUT instead Our Star Players got smack in the mouth for the first time. ONE was out in the 2nd Qt on and
the others stars whine like little girls.. Well it finally came back to Haunt them. instead of whine they should have played ball. I'm not going to blame everything on the Kids.. We were out Coached by a team thats been there done that..Our coach had no answer for power football and it showed. Hopefully this will make everyone better moving forward.

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

In the Lancaster local paper the BU coach said that River didn’t have any “game breakers” pretty sure the old Flan Dog wasn’t appreciative of those comments and I’m sure he remembered that.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

OvGuy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:25 pm In the Lancaster local paper the BU coach said that River didn’t have any “game breakers” pretty sure the old Flan Dog wasn’t appreciative of those comments and I’m sure he remembered that.
…the full quote was
They’ve got some pretty good athletes on the perimeter,” he said. “Not a lot of gamebreakers, but they’re pretty deep up front. Defensively I think it will be hard to stop us, but they’ve played some good teams, their schedule has been tougher than what we’ve faced, I think. But we know that’s going to happen as we continue to win and hopefully, we can face tougher opponents each round and hopefully we continue to come out on top.”
Your statement is a pretty less-than-charitable retelling of what he was trying to say.

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:33 pm
OvGuy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:25 pm In the Lancaster local paper the BU coach said that River didn’t have any “game breakers” pretty sure the old Flan Dog wasn’t appreciative of those comments and I’m sure he remembered that.
…the full quote was
They’ve got some pretty good athletes on the perimeter,” he said. “Not a lot of gamebreakers, but they’re pretty deep up front. Defensively I think it will be hard to stop us, but they’ve played some good teams, their schedule has been tougher than what we’ve faced, I think. But we know that’s going to happen as we continue to win and hopefully, we can face tougher opponents each round and hopefully we continue to come out on top.”
Your statement is a pretty less-than-charitable retelling of what he was trying to say.
Either way, any sort of fuel to the fire when you’re not a proven team probably isn’t the best. I do give credit to the staff over there for their class and handling of out of control kids and game. They kept their composure.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

OvGuy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:32 am

I think if you ask anyone involved with the River program, especially after this season no matter win, lose or draw they have no problem playing anyone and will always step up to the challenge no matter the outcome.
That's what ff thought as well. Flannery runs a great program. Has turned us down the last 2 years and again for next year. Would think this game could happen with 2 of the better small schools in the ovac. Shadyside has declined as well. Maybe distance has something to do with it?

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

Ff3233 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm

That's what ff thought as well. Flannery runs a great program. Has turned us down the last 2 years and again for next year. Would think this game could happen with 2 of the better small schools in the ovac. Shadyside has declined as well. Maybe distance has something to do with it?
River plays a pretty demanding schedule as is Bellaire, Shadyside, Barnesville. Plus they schedule up enough typically to have a top 15ish strength of schedule in D7. There’s also not a lot of connections between the programs. Other than that who knows. Would love to see them match up again.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

OvGuy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:10 pm
Ff3233 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm

River plays a pretty demanding schedule as is Bellaire, Shadyside, Barnesville. Plus they schedule up enough typically to have a top 15ish strength of schedule in D7. There’s also not a lot of connections between the programs. Other than that who knows. Would love to see them match up again.
They play a solid schedule. It's funny that Marietta will play river but not us. Having Bellaire and Shadyside on your schedule is always a plus. River always has a solid program. Would love to add them to the schedule

Teufelhunden
Freshman Team

Post by Teufelhunden »

Let's face it, Burnt Onion was overrated by a bunch. But hey, they didn't lose in the regular season so there's that.

Return to “Football”