Ironton 17 Portsmouth 6 2021 Playoffs

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Re: Week 12 : #9 (8-3) Portsmouth @ #1 (10-1) Ironton

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Game should’ve been one sided. If Rowe plays the whole game Portsmouth wins.

XandOs
Varsity

Re: Ironton 17 Portsmouth 6 2021 Playoffs

Post by XandOs »

If Ironton isn’t down 5 starters they win going away. #10 and #24 play it may be a running clock.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Maybe. But honestly how much talent do you need to win a football game? They have speed, talent, and a huge line. Way more than anyone else locally.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:17 am Game should’ve been one sided. If Rowe plays the whole game Portsmouth wins.
:roll: hate when stuff like this is said, you have absolutely no clue how the game unfolds if Rowe plays the entire game. Now if you want to say he would've given you a better chance at winning had he played, that's cool but you just can't flip the script of a game without any information of knowing what would've actually happened.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:17 am Game should’ve been one sided. If Rowe plays the whole game Portsmouth wins.
if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we would all have a merry Christmas. There is a reason PHS’s QB1 didn’t play the entire game. Ironton’s D was hitting him all night again this time. Why is it that only Ironton’s opponents injuries count? Carter, Carpenter, Duncan,Wylie would all start for both teams and they all didn’t play last night. In fact Ironton has played most of the season without these great athletes. Portsmouth played an inspired game against their rival. It’s good to see PHS competing again. If this keeps up the OVC will want them out of the conference as well.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I don't know swhite but I thought maybe that was a tongue in cheek response to some of the comments saying we should have lost by 250-300 points if not for..... Anyways Ironton was the better team, we gave them out best shot and came up short. I feel like we could have hung with most teams in our division and I believe we proved that. I thought this was likely a little better than .500 team depending on how the chips fell and we ended up 2 points from 9-1 and won our first playoff game in 19 years. Even if Ironton doesn't make it as far as they have the last 2 years they're a proven winner and we hung with them as well as anyone during that run. I wish the Tigers luck the rest of the way and expect them and Fairland to represent the OVC well the next few weeks.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Injuries are part of the game ,you play with what you got ,Drew roe was hurt in the last game at Ironton and played injured at zane trace , diddnt run the ball at all so I guarantee you he was hurting his ability to scramble was a big part of our success this season, he came into this game with an obvious limp and only made it through 2 quarters the kid is a fighter and loves the game and loves to win .

As far as what would have happened if him "or any other injured players played from both teams" doesn't really matter ,besides I though Tyler Duncan came in and did pretty good.

Congrats to Ironton, and portsmouth hold your heads up you went in as huge underdogs and was in a position to pull the upset late in the game.

I just don't think our defense is getting enough credit at all ,even with Ironton having Injuries they are still a good team and this defense has us in the game midway through the 4th with a score of 10 to 6 before Ironton scored another td on a turnover.

Good luck to the tigers

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I'm surprised that Portsmouth's defense held Ironton to 17 points. Burg will need to watch a lot of that tape, the Jackson game and the Fairland game to see what needs to be done to stop them.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:06 am I'm surprised that Portsmouth's defense held Ironton to 17 points. Burg will need to watch a lot of that tape, the Jackson game and the Fairland game to see what needs to be done to stop them.

Wilson is a handful, not sure why they did not run him a lot more

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:11 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:06 am I'm surprised that Portsmouth's defense held Ironton to 17 points. Burg will need to watch a lot of that tape, the Jackson game and the Fairland game to see what needs to be done to stop them.

Wilson is a handful, not sure why they did not run him a lot more
Yeah he seemed like he really hurt us I'm I'm 1st game.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Ironton Fighting Tigers on the win.....they were the better team but had to really work for the win.

VERY PROUD of our Trojans on their effort......I didn't think we could hold Ironton to 17 points, but our defense may have played its best game of the year considering how good the Fighting Tigers are. Congratulations to the coaching staff and the players for another very good season of PHS football. We lose some good players, including QB Drew Roe, who had a Hall of Fame career, leading the Trojans to 4 straight playoff appearances for only the 2nd time in school history. It was fun not only to make the playoffs, but advance into the 2nd round.

Hopefully for the kids coming back they will want more playoff football next year......it takes committment and hard work.....there are no short cuts. Portsmouth football is back to being relevant in the OVC and the SE district, and let's keep it that way.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

trojandave wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:24 pm Congratulations to the Ironton Fighting Tigers on the win.....they were the better team but had to really work for the win.

VERY PROUD of our Trojans on their effort......I didn't think we could hold Ironton to 17 points, but our defense may have played its best game of the year considering how good the Fighting Tigers are. Congratulations to the coaching staff and the players for another very good season of PHS football. We lose some good players, including QB Drew Roe, who had a Hall of Fame career, leading the Trojans to 4 straight playoff appearances for only the 2nd time in school history. It was fun not only to make the playoffs, but advance into the 2nd round.

Hopefully for the kids coming back they will want more playoff football next year......it takes committment and hard work.....there are no short cuts. Portsmouth football is back to being relevant in the OVC and the SE district, and let's keep it that way.
Well said 👌 This turn around the Trojan program is having sure puts a smile on my face. You see more passion and enthusiasm out on the field! Really starting to like how the coaching staff is taking form as well. We've had quite a few changes in the last 10 years but it really seems like they are finding their staff. Coaches with lots of love for their Trojan program and some college experience. Also have noticed the teams below HS stepping things up. We do lose a lot this year but we also have a lot coming back.. cant wait to see what the Portsmouth Trojans can do next season!!

Return to “Football”