New Playoff System

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

New Playoff System

Post by Shoedaddy »

Can we quit calling the new system the playoffs and maybe refer it to a tournament?

I read a headline yesterday that said this was the first (insert school name here) to reach week 12. Okay, if you team made it to the playoffs in 2019, they reached the same level without winning a playoff game if your team was in the playoffs. Years ago when only 4 teams made it per region, if you made the playoffs you were in the regionals (there were 16 teams left in your division). For many years, 8 teams per region made it which basically meant you were playing for a district championship (there were 32 teams left in your division). Now that 16 enter per region, your first round game is a district semi-final game. I was trying to explain this to someone the other day by saying the 89' Waverly team made it further than any other Waverly teams with just one playoff win. They were in the Regional Finals (the elite 8). Long story short, I just wish they would call it what it is and in terms that people can understand.

I don't mind the new format, kinda wish they would shorten the season to 9 games and allow week 10 to be scheduled vs. common opponents like many schools did last year. I feel like a team that makes the State Championship is asking very young men to play 16 straight weeks and that is too many.

I know I sound like the grumpy old man yelling at kids for riding their bikes in my yard, I'll own it.

Kicker.
All Conference

Re: New Playoff System

Post by Kicker. »

I’ll agree 16 is too many. I never thought there was need for expansion past 12 I mean if you look at D IV R16 all the top seeds won so had we done 8 it would’ve been the correct 8. And I get there are upsets in other regions but it’s going to happen if the opportunity presents itself. The ideal format for expansion would’ve been 12 but OH$AA wanted more

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Agree...somewhat, but love HS sports.
BTW...My Judy says I'm Pres. of that grumpy "old guys club" :roll:

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I actually would have rather they expanded to 8 regions taking 8 then 4 taking 16. It would make for an actual district setup and cut down on travel.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

There is no perfect system

Harbin Points is OK but there is no multiplier for strength of schedule unless you win

If you play good teams tough and loose that should be worth more than playing bad teams and winning

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

This is why South Gallia is going to the SOC. So ready to get started where we have always belonged. Can't wait to put a whooping on all those Portsmouth schools. Done after everything the TVC did to SG. They will miss us when we're gone!

Enforcer
Freshman Team

Post by Enforcer »

I hate that they take 16 teams now, You should atleat need a winniog recore to qualify

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I'm actually in favor of the 16 team system. This way you always get the best teams in the playoffs, even if they have a brutal schedule and don't make top 8. A team shouldn't be punished by being kept out of the playoffs for playing good competition in regular season games.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:31 pm I actually would have rather they expanded to 8 regions taking 8 then 4 taking 16. It would make for an actual district setup and cut down on travel.
Now that’s a great thought if they are sticking with that number of teams making it.
I also agree 16 weeks is too long…

Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

SG REBEL wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:52 pm This is why South Gallia is going to the SOC. So ready to get started where we have always belonged. Can't wait to put a whooping on all those Portsmouth schools. Done after everything the TVC did to SG. They will miss us when we're gone!
You might wanna get that bump on your head checked. SG isn't gonna whoop any Portsmouth school anytime soon.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SG REBEL wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:52 pm This is why South Gallia is going to the SOC. So ready to get started where we have always belonged. Can't wait to put a whooping on all those Portsmouth schools. Done after everything the TVC did to SG. They will miss us when we're gone!
That's funny, SG has won like 4 games total the last 3 seasons and has been beat by all SOC1 teams, even with the current league they're in they only played 3 teams with a winning record this season while finishing 1-7. SG has a long ways to go before it's going to be putting any type of beat down on any team in SOC1, at least they'll have the chance to be competitive against teams like Green and Beaver Eastern Pike.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:31 pm I actually would have rather they expanded to 8 regions taking 8 then 4 taking 16. It would make for an actual district setup and cut down on travel.
Put me down for this idea, I like the sounds of it much better than teams driving 3 hrs for the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:05 am
Put me down for this idea, I like the sounds of it much better than teams driving 3 hrs for the first couple rounds of the playoffs.
Best idea I’ve seen so far

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

MrFirstTake wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:12 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:05 am
Best idea I’ve seen so far
👌

Another guy
Waterboy

Post by Another guy »

Actually it’s so they can be more competitive in the SOC. Not because the tvc did them wrong

Return to “Football”