Thoughts for expanded SVC

SVC Man
Waterboy

Thoughts for expanded SVC

Post by SVC Man »

Alright. I am new to this site, but a lot of people talk about this often. I think it is an interesting concept to add a few teams to the SVC and make a "big" and "small" division. That being said, I have watched the SVC for about 30 years in multiple sports. I am comfortable with the conference, but understand why some people would want change. I am just curious as to what everyone thinks, and what ideas people have. Or if anyone has ideas for other conferences as well.

petesweaty
All Conference

Re: Thoughts for expanded SVC

Post by petesweaty »

Won't happen ever.
SVC has been a solid league for decades with mostly short driving distances.
Westfall to Piketon is the longest trip. About an hour.
Most other trips are short.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I heard talk of Westfall leaving - if they do, the SVC needs to add Waverly.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

If there is any league looking to expand and get stronger it should be the SOC.

Throw in Unioto and Jackson with Wheelersburg, Gallia, Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Waverly. Big Division

Throw in Piketon, SE with Oak Hill, Minford, Valley, NW and PWest. Mid Division

Then lower Division with the Rest of the SOC. Now you are talking about great matchups with similar Enrollments and Competition.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I know a lot of people for a long time have wanted Waverly to join the SVC. It would not be a good move IMO for Waverly. Once NW joins back in the SOC 2 for football, they will have 6 league games, with teams belonging to the following divisions:

Division 5: Burg, West, Minford, Oak Hill, NW
Division 6: Valley

If Waverly went to the SVC, assuming Westfall drops out, their league games would be with teams in the following divisions:

Division 4: Unioto
Division 5: Piketon, ZT
Division 6: PV, SE, Adena, Huntington

Waverly is trying to beef up their schedule with the recent success and need to play tougher and bigger or equal competition to help them with the region they are in. Moving to the SVC would put them going backwards, having to play 4 Div. 6 teams and taking away a non league game that could be used to schedule a bigger school would not be helpful. Most years Waverly would run the SVC if they continue to put out the caliber of teams they have been producing in the past 6 years. I do like the idea of getting to play Piketon again and Unioto. But honestly, would like to see the SOC 2 drop NW, Oak Hill and Valley and add a team or two that could better compete with the other schools. But rearranging leagues is so hard and that’s why it hardly ever happens.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:33 pm If there is any league looking to expand and get stronger it should be the SOC.

Throw in Unioto and Jackson with Wheelersburg, Gallia, Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Waverly. Big Division

Throw in Piketon, SE with Oak Hill, Minford, Valley, NW and PWest. Mid Division

Then lower Division with the Rest of the SOC. Now you are talking about great matchups with similar Enrollments and Competition.
Unioto is going nowhere but the SVC. They like being the "big fish in the little pond." Funny thing is that the sport they should dominate on just pure numbers is football. They don't.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

smurray wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm I heard talk of Westfall leaving - if they do, the SVC needs to add Waverly.
Westfall is not leaving the SVC. What league would they go to? None their size are even close.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

petesweaty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:59 pm
smurray wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm I heard talk of Westfall leaving - if they do, the SVC needs to add Waverly.
Westfall is not leaving the SVC. What league would they go to? None their size are even close.
Mid State Buckeye league replacing Teays Valley is the rumor I heard. Teays is now D II in football. They are moving out of the Buckeye in a few years.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

The SVC is THE best league around period. Everybody else wants what we have. Short drives, familiar foes, long time rivalries, and a rich tradition. Every year on this site people talk about breaking up or forming a new league, or teams looking for a league. They are looking for what we already have, IMO.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

1962 through present, longest winning league streak is tied between Adena with 5 from 1971-1975, and Piketon with 5 1975-1979. Logan Elm won the inaugural 62 season, since then Westfall has 17, the last in 2013, Paint Valley 12 last 2018, Piketon 10, last 2021, Zane Trace 10, last 2016, Adena 9, last 2020, Unioto 7, last 1998, Southeastern 3, last 2019, Huntington 1, last 1986. Farthest any SVC team has made it in the playoffs is the 2007 (I believe) Westfall team beat in state semi finals.

The SVC is not a football powerhouse, but it is very balanced, with every team winning at least 1 championship, and 6 teams having won in the last 8 or so years. The league is very well ran, and it competes at a high level in a lot of sports.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:42 pm 1962 through present, longest winning league streak is tied between Adena with 5 from 1971-1975, and Piketon with 5 1975-1979. Logan Elm won the inaugural 62 season, since then Westfall has 17, the last in 2013, Paint Valley 12 last 2018, Piketon 10, last 2021, Zane Trace 10, last 2016, Adena 9, last 2020, Unioto 7, last 1998, Southeastern 3, last 2019, Huntington 1, last 1986. Farthest any SVC team has made it in the playoffs is the 2007 (I believe) Westfall team beat in state semi finals.

The SVC is not a football powerhouse, but it is very balanced, with every team winning at least 1 championship, and 6 teams having won in the last 8 or so years. The league is very well ran, and it competes at a high level in a lot of sports.
Very interesting information. I would have thought that Paint Valley had the most titles and that Unioto had more then they do.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Mid State Buckeye league replacing Teays Valley is the rumor I heard. Teays is now D II in football. They are moving out of the Buckeye in a few years.
Exactly what I heard.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

smurray wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Exactly what I heard.
If Westfall left, who would the svc target as a member? Logan Elm? McClain? Waverly? Eastern Pike? Vinton County? Not sure what other school would fit geographically.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Exactly what I heard.
If Westfall left, who would the svc target as a member? Logan Elm? McClain? Waverly? Eastern Pike? Vinton County? Not sure what other school would fit geographically.
First thing would be size of school, then geographically. Westfall is only school in Pickaway County. Definitely not VC too big, already have a Unioto. Waverly or Eastern Pike maybe??

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:05 pm

Exactly what I heard.
First thing would be size of school, then geographically. Westfall is only school in Pickaway County. Definitely not VC too big, already have a Unioto. Waverly or Eastern Pike maybe??
Waverly is the same size as VC. D4 in football and 2 in basketball (I believe). Eastern Pike would be in line with PV, Huntington, SE, plus they are a border school to the current SVC. Greenfield would mirror Waverly and VC size wise.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Also, western pike would be another option but they don’t offer football. I guess if Westfall was out, Northwest wouldn’t be too far out for a conference member either. Honestly, with the size and competition balance, NW may be the best option.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Waverly is the same size as VC. D4 in football and 2 in basketball (I believe). Eastern Pike would be in line with PV, Huntington, SE, plus they are a border school to the current SVC. Greenfield would mirror Waverly and VC size wise.
But Waverly is Pike County, that's only benefit. Zane Trace, Adena, Huntington, Westfall, Piketon, SE, PV all smaller than Unioto. Unioto is our only D2, no school would vote to bring in another one. You would have to know the inner workings of the SVC to understand the pride in all the Davids chasing Goliath.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:15 pm
But Waverly is Pike County, that's only benefit. Zane Trace, Adena, Huntington, Westfall, Piketon, SE, PV all smaller than Unioto. Unioto is our only D2, no school would vote to bring in another one. You would have to know the inner workings of the SVC to understand the pride in all the Davids chasing Goliath.
Yeah I don’t think any school in the SVC would be wanting to add Waverly. They already play Unioto or have been for a good while in football now, which usually favors Waverly in those matchups. Piketon and Waverly stopped playing each other because it was doing neither school much good with the lopsided games. And all the other schools are smaller than Waverly. So why would they want them in the league? Waverly would be the top dog if they continue to play at the caliber they have been, at least in football.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:15 pm
What would be your top 3 to replace westfall? Or would the svc think to add enough to expand to a big/small school conference. Most conferences around seo have at least a big and small. The msl has multiple divisions.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ugh I think that would be a terrible idea for both Waverly and the SVC. Waverly plays in one TOUGH ass region in DVI and jumping into SVC play would absolutely gain nothing for Waverly. Unless you're just trying to get nice drives that's all it would accomplish because there's absolutely no benefit to it, other than travel. Cut your gate money and concessions in a big way as no one is going to those games outside of parents, I mean let's be honest how many are showing up for Waverly vs Huntington, Southeastern, Adena? eeeewww I hope Waverly ppl aren't jumping for the hopes of going to the SVC.

Return to “Football”