Thoughts for expanded SVC

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Re: Thoughts for expanded SVC

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

jose12 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 am SVC is a good league but wouldn't call it strong. Competitive in most of the sports
SVC is not strong, it's very strong. Solid foundation going back decades and decades.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:05 am
jose12 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:27 am

Dude the fact that you talked about merging 2 leagues and then mention leaving 2 of the teams out of it tells me all I need to know in terms of me trusting what you "know".
I'm not your dude--you can think you know all but you don't. Like I said ask Wilm and Massie if they were aware they were being left out of the new league when it was formed. The initial league was going to be be with SVC schools but it fell apart because of one school not wanting any part of Chillicothe and Jackson, so yes there could be some rekindling especially if Westfall would bail. Not saying it is going to happen soon but very possible in the future. The SVC is not going to merge with Waverly or any other southern schools.
Thanks buddy, now we're kicking out 2 schools and trying to bring in 2 others from another conference. That's a lot of moving parts you've got dude, Waverly isn't merging with the SVC nor did I ever say they would I actually said it was a terrible idea. However, if you think merging 2 leagues dropping teams out because you don't like them, then trying to add 2 teams from an entirely different team is the idea. Then yeah at that point I guess Waverly would be the easiest move compared to what you've got going on my dude
:lol: I like I said perfect the way it is.

jose12
Waterboy

Post by jose12 »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:17 pm
jose12 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 am SVC is a good league but wouldn't call it strong. Competitive in most of the sports
SVC is not strong, it's very strong. Solid foundation going back decades and decades.
It does have a solid foundation and is strong and competitive league but other than some spring sports overall it is an average league.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

jose12 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:21 pm
It does have a solid foundation and is strong and competitive league but other than some spring sports overall it is an average league.
Easily the best Volleyball league that I know of.
Overall just as good as anyone else?
Name the league better?

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Name the league better?
Looking at glance of the past 5 years or so football and basketball it’s easily the SOC II
football has had Wheelersburg, West and Waverly all making the playoffs most years with Minford and Valley mixed in

Basketball Wheelersburg Waverly and Oak Hill are always competitive and making deeps runs at the tournament

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Name the league better?
It says something when you have to refer to volleyball first on a football forum.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

bman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:18 pm
Name the league better?
It says something when you have to refer to volleyball first on a football forum.
Well i guess I'm thinking overall as a conference not just football. Especially since we have 2 teams in volleyball playing each other to go to the state final four tomorrow.🤷‍♂️

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

SVC has a handful of good sports and another handful of sports it struggles at. Volleyball is an example of the former and football the latter. SOCII is a much stronger overall conference.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

bman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:15 pm SVC has a handful of good sports and another handful of sports it struggles at. Volleyball is an example of the former and football the latter. SOCII is a much stronger overall conference.
I would disagree with this post, other than football I would take svc in any sport vs soc 2 top to bottom. But when a conference is discussed football is we’re the money is and is what matters. Imo that is why unioto is still in the conference. If they consistently won the conference in football they would be booted. For schools like paint valley, they love unioto because as a football school they are nothing but free points.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Could someone post the enrollment for each SVC school?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Dundas wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:24 pm Could someone post the enrollment for each SVC school?
Last numbers I found of boys enrolled, no CB applied.
Paint Valley--119
Huntington--122
ADENA--136
Southeastern--139
Piketon--160
Zane Trace--175
Westfall--180
Unioto--258

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Just curious, what is Vinton County’s, Waverly's, and Northwest?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:21 pm Just curious, what is Vinton County’s, Waverly's, and Northwest?
Northwest--174
Vinton--236
Waverly--242

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

OK thanks

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Rolltanks wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:42 pm
bman wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:15 pm SVC has a handful of good sports and another handful of sports it struggles at. Volleyball is an example of the former and football the latter. SOCII is a much stronger overall conference.
I would disagree with this post, other than football I would take svc in any sport vs soc 2 top to bottom. But when a conference is discussed football is we’re the money is and is what matters. Imo that is why unioto is still in the conference. If they consistently won the conference in football they would be booted. For schools like paint valley, they love unioto because as a football school they are nothing but free points.
When was the last time an SVC team defeated an SOCII team in the baseball or softball regional? I'd classify the SVC good at baseball and the top good at softball, but the SOCII has been the better of the two leagues.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

If the travel is good, there is parity in most sports, and everyone is happy then I'd say keep it the way it is. The league has been about as stable as it gets for as long as I can remember.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:24 am If the travel is good, there is parity in most sports, and everyone is happy then I'd say keep it the way it is. The league has been about as stable as it gets for as long as I can remember.
Yeah they're not doing anything with that league, only way they do is if they decide it's time to start competing and being successful come playoff time. As their cream of the crop Piketon and ZT are already out of it and I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with just zero competition within the league this year.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

greygoose wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:24 am If the travel is good, there is parity in most sports, and everyone is happy then I'd say keep it the way it is. The league has been about as stable as it gets for as long as I can remember.
Yeah they're not doing anything with that league, only way they do is if they decide it's time to start competing and being successful come playoff time. As their cream of the crop Piketon and ZT are already out of it and I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with just zero competition within the league this year.
Westfall and Paint Valley are two of the flagship programs of the conference. Westfall has really struggled for nearly a decade now due to a variety of factors and PV was down this year. You need those two when Piketon, Adena, ZT, etc. are going through a good period to have a decent to solid top half of the conference.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:14 am
greygoose wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 am
Westfall and Paint Valley are two of the flagship programs of the conference. Westfall has really struggled for nearly a decade now due to a variety of factors and PV was down this year. You need those two when Piketon, Adena, ZT, etc. are going through a good period to have a decent to solid top half of the conference.
If we're purely talking football, Westfall is no longer a flagship of this conference and hasn't been for sometime honestly. In the Covid year they got 3 wins against bad teams, outside of that they've been 4 wins or less since 2013 where they were 5-5 and then in 2012-92. Westfall is a LONG ways from where it once was, like you said almost a decade removed from any type of relevance. Paint Valley yeah typically year in and year out they're at the top of the field. Basically year in and year out this is a conference that is pretty much a 2 team stable, and typically 1-2 teams can hold their own.

These are also teams set in their ways and realize they only need to find 3 non-conference opponents makes scheduling very easy for an AD. They're all more than willing to hold the line and not step out of their comfort zone. Unioto has the size to but given their location to the other schools and being the big kid on the block they take the easy way out, mid-state league would be a good one for them.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

These are always fun discussion, but what is the purpose of a high school athletic conference? Pursue state championships or provide a stable and safe environment for student athletes to compete against like minded schools.? The SVC provides those things so why fix something that is not broke?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”