OSU HC Ryan Day's Thoughts About 7 On 7s

Omega
SEOPS H

OSU HC Ryan Day's Thoughts About 7 On 7s

Post by Omega »

Eleven Warriors published a synopsis of Ryan Day's press conference today on Columbus radio station 97.1 The Fan. Included in the remarks was his thoughts on 7 on 7s:

ON 7-ON-7

"I think 7-on-7 has actually hurt quarterback play."

Day said maybe it helps quarterbacks seeing coverages, but it doesn't simulate the game because there's no offensive or defensive line.

"When it comes to playing the game, at eye level, it's just not reality."

"I think a lot of their release points get out-of-whack."
Day mentions the arm angles and throwing motions are completely different when there's no players in front of them. "You're making throws that do not exist."

"It's not always like it is when they're playing the game."
Day notes that 7-on-7 is great for receivers and defensive backs, though.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... -practices

I did not hear the press conference, so context may be an issue, but I found it interesting that Day was not a proponent of these type of practices, at least for quarterback development. What are your thoughts. Are seven on sevens beneficial at the high school level during summer?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Re: OSU HC Ryan Day's Thoughts About 7 On 7s

Post by OVCFan1 »

I think the most important factor of summer 7v7 is for defensive backs to develop pass coverages.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Have to agree

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

What's ironic is OSU puts on a 7 on 7 Camp.

Kind of like a kid playing a 3 on 3 basketball game. No it's not a 5 on 5 but it simulates a game. Also allows players to get Reps.

What I think is funny are the teams that are known as "running" teams going to 5 or 6 7 on 7's in the summer.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:08 am What's ironic is OSU puts on a 7 on 7 Camp.

Kind of like a kid playing a 3 on 3 basketball game. No it's not a 5 on 5 but it simulates a game. Also allows players to get Reps.

What I think is funny are the teams that are known as "running" teams going to 5 or 6 7 on 7's in the summer.
Why would that be funny ?

FACSPORTS
JV Team

Post by FACSPORTS »

I completely agree with Coach Day. If you think about the throwing trajectory of a QB with lineman in front vs without, its completely different. Also, giving a QB 5 seconds to throw a ball is unrealistic, and how often does a DB need to stay in coverage for 5 seconds? I would bet that on a pass play, the ball is in the air within 3 seconds over 90% of the time. You've also got LB's that sprint into coverage at the snap, how realistic is that? Nothing about it translates to game situations in my opinion. The thought that people travel all over the country playing on AAU 7 on 7 teams is insane to me, it isn't football and it doesn't translate whatsoever.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

They get ribbons and trophies for this. The college make good money putting these on.

Return to “Football”