Logan, Teays Valley invited to join OCC

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan, Teays Valley invited to join OCC

Post by Raider6309 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:18 am I wonder how Logan will go about filling the non-league schedule? Looks like it will be three games. A mixup of rotating historical rivals? Athens, Nelsonville-York, New Lexington, Jackson, etc. maybe?

Doesn’t the OCC have cross over games?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:33 am
NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:18 am I wonder how Logan will go about filling the non-league schedule? Looks like it will be three games. A mixup of rotating historical rivals? Athens, Nelsonville-York, New Lexington, Jackson, etc. maybe?

Doesn’t the OCC have cross over games?
Not required.

Most schools up here play a mix of crossover and out of central Ohio non-league games. Sometimes its playing traditional rivals from other divisions, etc.

ACfans
Waterboy

Post by ACfans »

LongTime wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:46 am
formerfcfan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:36 am
The Exile wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:10 am I would be a bit surprised if HT left for the OCC (or were even offered). Of course, I'm surprised Logan was offered a spot, so what do I know? They would be significantly smaller than any other OCC school (granted, TV and Logan are smaller than the other OCC schools also, but still outnumber HT in the boys 9-11 count by about 100). HT has been even less dominant in the MSL than TV has. A move to the MSL-Ohio is interesting, though I'm not sure what it would get HT that they don't already have. Travel would be potentially worse getting to the north side for Buckeye Valley or Worthington Christian. Though Whitehall would add a bigger school for them, the rest of the Ohio division is not any bigger than the Buckeye division. I would also think a school like Jonathan Alder would be a more attractive long-term target if the OCC looked to expand. Hey, I could be wrong though.
HT's going to have issues making the D3 playoffs, even with the expansion to 16, if they stay in the Buckeye. Those problems may or may not be resolved if they go to the Ohio.

Other thing to consider is that the MSL-Ohio really shouldn't be thought of as being Mid-State League, if we're being honest. It's the generally same collection of schools from old conferences, just under the MSL banner. There is an opinion that the Ohio schools should really just be their own league altogether, escaping the MSL umbrella, and possibly expand to include schools like Centennial and Whetstone. Something like that would be immediately attractive to HT.
IF both HT and TV leave the Buckeye, I could see a possibility of Berne Union and Fisher Catholic, but adding DVI/DVII teams seems a bit of a downgrade (this size disparity is a big reason why A-C left the Cardinal division in the first place 30 years ago). I don't perceive a major private school bias in the league, but the fact is that they have not had a private school in the Buckeye as yet. I wonder if they would just roll with six teams if they cannot add any of the SVC schools mentioned? Picking up week 4-5 games would be doable with the FAC and SOCII having six teams and schools like St. Charles, Hartley, etc. needing non-league games in later weeks.
With all due respect, I think your history is mistaken. It was just "the" Mid-State League until 1990, then it split into Buckeye and Cardinal, with BU and FC being in the original MSL. Those two schools play the Buckeye on the regular outside of football. FC has also been an affiliate in the Buckeye for multiple sports this past decade.

There's drawbacks with the BU/FC route. But, that said, CV and LE have had some severe difficulties lately with football and FU just finished a season two years ago with 18 players on the whole roster.

The Buckeye schools aren't going to play the CCL in football, lol. There's only one who is even willing to play Harvest Prep, and that's BC.

"Glad someone actually acknowledges Harvest Prep. They've only dominated the MSL in football (last 8 yrs) and basketball (15 yrs). (I personally just care about football.) That is a heck of a Coach and program they have in Coach Milan Smith and the Warriors. They have a young team this year, but hope they keep going in the playoffs. He can take average and below average talent and make them into an effective and cohesive unit that is tough to beat. A great teacher of the game, position technique and character."

They might stick to 6 if HT were indeed to leave. Nothing says they "have" to go to 8, but it's also a situation where being picky might not serve the interests of some individual schools if it came down to 6.
Another remote possibility (though I think less desirable) might be, if two teams leave, to see if the two Fayette County schools have interest. It would make for some longer trips (particularly for FU and LU, both about 1:20 to Courthouse or MT), but would be reasonable for size and competition. LE, Circleville, and to some degree A-C have a history of playing either/both of those schools already. (By the way, I'm not yet another person plotting the demise of the FAC, just spitballing ideas that might be remotely possible). Please no Madison County schools (too far, hard to get to).
I feel pretty confident in saying LU would not go for the Fayette County idea, haha. Distance and mileage is one issue, virtually no history of playing those schools is another.
Glad someone actually acknowledges Harvest Prep. They've only dominated the MSL in football (last 8 yrs) and basketball (15 yrs). (I personally just care about football.) That is a heck of a Coach and program they have in Coach Milan Smith and the Warriors. They have a young team this year, but hope they keep going in the playoffs. He can take average and below average talent and make them into an effective and cohesive unit that is tough to beat. A great teacher of the game, position technique and character."
You had me until the last word. Character??? I am in NO way belly aching about us (Amanda) losing to HP. We had a great first half and didn't make adjustments that HP DID make at halftime. Our fault! But the way HP kids acted in the second half was disgusting. There was NO character shown.
The things we heard that were said to our boys, HP players actions even toward our crowd and HP coach not shaking hands with ours....sorry, if that's a "Christian" high school I'll kiss your ass. If they just let their play do the talking they'd be fine. Swarming defense and a very good running back that has kept them going in the playoffs. HP coach very well might be a great coach but he's not teaching them anything about character.

Return to “Football”