Logan, Teays Valley invited to join OCC

loganlocos
SEOP

Logan, Teays Valley invited to join OCC

Post by loganlocos »

The Ohio Capital Conference (OCC) officially extended an invitation to both Logan HS and Teays Valley HS on Monday.

Pending board approval, Logan is expected to accept and begin play in the conference for the 2024-25 school year.

chiefs55
Waterboy

Re: Logan, Teays Valley invited to join OCC

Post by chiefs55 »

This is awesome! Happy for the athletes. This is very exciting for them

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Story by Craig Dunn of The Logan-Hocking Times.

Logan and Teays Valley high schools have been invited to join the Ohio Capital Conference.

Concluding a process that has played out over the last several months, OCC officials conducted the final vote Monday evening to bring the Chiefs/Lady Chiefs and Vikings/Lady Vikings into the Columbus-based league beginning with the 2024-25 school year.

Logan athletic teams, with the exceptions of bowling and soccer, have played totally independent schedules since the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League folded at the end of the 2016-17 school year while Teays Valley is currently a member of the Mid-State League.

Once Logan receives its official invitation, the Logan-Hocking Board of Education will make the final vote to accept, which could come as early as next Monday’s regularly-scheduled BOE meeting.

Look for a full story Tuesday on the Logan-Hocking Times.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

That'll be interesting if Teays Valley leaves the Mid-state or not, they've got a pretty solid league in that one and it's fairly competitive throughout the league. Should Teays leave would a team like Westfall or Unioto be willing to make that leap?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Congratulations Logan faithful on finally finding a landing spot. Hope you can have lots of success across all your sports.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The simple solution for the Mid-State League is to just eliminate their sponsorship of the Cardinal and Ohio Divisions and automatically revert the Buckeye into being "the" MSL. All schools who aren't in it already are out.

From there, if an expansion to 8 is wanted, have the 7 schools each write down a list of five schools in ranked preference and turn in the slips. Make a top three out of the most received votes and invite from there in order.

The big hiccup, that folks need to understand, is football may not be the primary driver behind the future of the Buckeye.

DCCXL
Waterboy

Post by DCCXL »

Unioto would not work for the Mid State League.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

So who all will be in their division?

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Outstanding Logan. Sad it took this long.

SugarDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by SugarDaddy »

Dundas wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:09 pm So who all will be in their division?

Yet to be determined . The OCC traditionally divides along classification ,D-I together, D-II together. They may reorganize geographically . That potentially could set up a division with TV, Pick Cent, Pick North, Lancaster, Groveport, Reynoldsburg on the Southeast quadrant. The OCC also reorganizes as more schools are created ( more h.s. Coming at Olentangy and maybe other towns) leading to new division assignments. Logan should prepare for a rough ride.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Glad to see Logan find a home. I'm actually shocked the OCC would venture this far south into its membership ranks. The 33 corridor southeast of Columbus makes the most sense for a division for Logan. Conference championships will be few and far between. That is not a knock on Logan at all, but the size and strength of the other schools in the OCC.

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

This is a no-brainer acceptance by Logan. No matter where they are placed division-wise, I think there will be a struggle in the beginning based on where Logan is right now (football particularly), but hope they can improve through more stability in the OCC. It is a bit surprising (to me at least) that the OCC wants Logan. Most bitched about the drive to Chillicothe when they were in the conference, and some bitch about the drive to Lancaster now. But of course Logan needs to take this and run with it.

I have cousins and an uncle who worked/work at Teays Valley (one an administrator, one a multiple-decade teacher) and they have said for years that there is division in the community. Some (especially in/around Ashville) like being in the MSL and are more resistant to leaving (at least it was like this a few years ago). Those in the western part of the district (Commercial Point area) were generally more interested in moving to the OCC. Unlike Canal Winchester when they left, TV has not dominated several sports for years before transitioning (they have only won the league title in football a few times over the past five years and recently lost to Bloom-Carroll (crushed this year, though Bloom is very good) and Hamilton Township (multiple times) over the past five years, as well as winning close games with mediocre A-C teams a few times). They also have not challenged themselves much out of conference, mostly playing Logan and Chillicothe-type programs, or mediocre out-of-area teams like Ashland. The only OCC games they have played were a series with Canal Winchester (which they lost badly in all but one game, which they lost closely) and a makeup game against Lancaster last year (also lost handily). It doesn't seem that they have been "preparing" to move. The MSL most definitely does not prepare them for the DII playoffs. Most years, they have missed, even with 8-2/7-3 records. This year, they hosted a very average Stebbins team and lost by two touchdowns. I would assume that they will accept and move on, and will struggle much as I think Logan will in the early years of the transition.

As for the MSL Buckeye, I have made my preference known on the SVC expansion thread (I would LOVE to see Westfall join if there is mutual interest. They already play LE and Circleville in every sport and A-C in every sport but football). I would prefer that they just add a team (not from the other two MSL divisions) and let those divisions continue as they wish. If not Westfall, if I were the admins I would try for Zane Trace or Unioto (again a difficult sell as the SVC is a very stable and compact league). The Cardinal schools mostly work geographically but are too small. The Ohio schools don't have a lot of history with the Buckeye schools and would require going inside or around the 270 outer belt, which most in the Buckeye division would rather not do.

Just my two cents. Good for Logan though!
Last edited by The Exile on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

Didn't mean to duplicate NYBuckeye96, but it hadn't posted before I started typing!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The issue the Buckeye is going to be facing is they will need to know for sure if they have to replace just Teays Valley, or if another domino falls at Hamilton Township (MSL-Ohio or OCC.) I already said on here earlier that Logan-TV was a package deal. That swells the OCC up to 34. Could HT be 35?

If Hamilton Twp sticks, then the Buckeye has more advantage to get something everyone wants. They could snag Unioto or Westfall if it's the still-extant 'Buckeye 7.'

The problem, though is if HT leaves then they need something to work out. And we have no clue if Unioto/WF would even leave the SVC. If Unioto and WF stay put in the SVC, their only realistic option to get to 8 is the Berne Union-Fisher Cath package. Unless something really bizarre happens like Heath and Lakewood leaving the LCL, which isn't likely at all.

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

I would be a bit surprised if HT left for the OCC (or were even offered). Of course, I'm surprised Logan was offered a spot, so what do I know? They would be significantly smaller than any other OCC school (granted, TV and Logan are smaller than the other OCC schools also, but still outnumber HT in the boys 9-11 count by about 100). HT has been even less dominant in the MSL than TV has. A move to the MSL-Ohio is interesting, though I'm not sure what it would get HT that they don't already have. Travel would be potentially worse getting to the north side for Buckeye Valley or Worthington Christian. Though Whitehall would add a bigger school for them, the rest of the Ohio division is not any bigger than the Buckeye division. I would also think a school like Jonathan Alder would be a more attractive long-term target if the OCC looked to expand. Hey, I could be wrong though.
IF both HT and TV leave the Buckeye, I could see a possibility of Berne Union and Fisher Catholic, but adding DVI/DVII teams seems a bit of a downgrade (this size disparity is a big reason why A-C left the Cardinal division in the first place 30 years ago). I don't perceive a major private school bias in the league, but the fact is that they have not had a private school in the Buckeye as yet. I wonder if they would just roll with six teams if they cannot add any of the SVC schools mentioned? Picking up week 4-5 games would be doable with the FAC and SOCII having six teams and schools like St. Charles, Hartley, etc. needing non-league games in later weeks.
Another remote possibility (though I think less desirable) might be, if two teams leave, to see if the two Fayette County schools have interest. It would make for some longer trips (particularly for FU and LU, both about 1:20 to Courthouse or MT), but would be reasonable for size and competition. LE, Circleville, and to some degree A-C have a history of playing either/both of those schools already. (By the way, I'm not yet another person plotting the demise of the FAC, just spitballing ideas that might be remotely possible). Please no Madison County schools (too far, hard to get to).

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The Exile wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:10 am I would be a bit surprised if HT left for the OCC (or were even offered). Of course, I'm surprised Logan was offered a spot, so what do I know? They would be significantly smaller than any other OCC school (granted, TV and Logan are smaller than the other OCC schools also, but still outnumber HT in the boys 9-11 count by about 100). HT has been even less dominant in the MSL than TV has. A move to the MSL-Ohio is interesting, though I'm not sure what it would get HT that they don't already have. Travel would be potentially worse getting to the north side for Buckeye Valley or Worthington Christian. Though Whitehall would add a bigger school for them, the rest of the Ohio division is not any bigger than the Buckeye division. I would also think a school like Jonathan Alder would be a more attractive long-term target if the OCC looked to expand. Hey, I could be wrong though.
HT's going to have issues making the D3 playoffs, even with the expansion to 16, if they stay in the Buckeye. Those problems may or may not be resolved if they go to the Ohio.

Other thing to consider is that the MSL-Ohio really shouldn't be thought of as being Mid-State League, if we're being honest. It's the generally same collection of schools from old conferences, just under the MSL banner. There is an opinion that the Ohio schools should really just be their own league altogether, escaping the MSL umbrella, and possibly expand to include schools like Centennial and Whetstone. Something like that would be immediately attractive to HT.
IF both HT and TV leave the Buckeye, I could see a possibility of Berne Union and Fisher Catholic, but adding DVI/DVII teams seems a bit of a downgrade (this size disparity is a big reason why A-C left the Cardinal division in the first place 30 years ago). I don't perceive a major private school bias in the league, but the fact is that they have not had a private school in the Buckeye as yet. I wonder if they would just roll with six teams if they cannot add any of the SVC schools mentioned? Picking up week 4-5 games would be doable with the FAC and SOCII having six teams and schools like St. Charles, Hartley, etc. needing non-league games in later weeks.
With all due respect, I think your history is mistaken. It was just "the" Mid-State League until 1990, then it split into Buckeye and Cardinal, with BU and FC being in the original MSL. Those two schools play the Buckeye on the regular outside of football. FC has also been an affiliate in the Buckeye for multiple sports this past decade.

There's drawbacks with the BU/FC route. But, that said, CV and LE have had some severe difficulties lately with football and FU just finished a season two years ago with 18 players on the whole roster.

The Buckeye schools aren't going to play the CCL in football, lol. There's only one who is even willing to play Harvest Prep, and that's BC.

They might stick to 6 if HT were indeed to leave. Nothing says they "have" to go to 8, but it's also a situation where being picky might not serve the interests of some individual schools if it came down to 6.
Another remote possibility (though I think less desirable) might be, if two teams leave, to see if the two Fayette County schools have interest. It would make for some longer trips (particularly for FU and LU, both about 1:20 to Courthouse or MT), but would be reasonable for size and competition. LE, Circleville, and to some degree A-C have a history of playing either/both of those schools already. (By the way, I'm not yet another person plotting the demise of the FAC, just spitballing ideas that might be remotely possible). Please no Madison County schools (too far, hard to get to).
I feel pretty confident in saying LU would not go for the Fayette County idea, haha. Distance and mileage is one issue, virtually no history of playing those schools is another.

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

1. Hamilton should work on consistently competing where they are, in my opinion. They have been mostly a middle-bottom of the pack in most sports for 30 years. No knock on them, just reality. If City League and/or Southwest City Schools became available for a league, that might be different.
2. Actually, the Mid State League split into divisions in 1984-85 (I know, I was in elementary school at the time), the same year Teays and Licking Heights joined. The original alignment was: Buckeye: TV, FU, LE, CW, BC, HT. Cardinal: AC, LU, LH, FC, Millersport, BU. There were mandatory crossover games as well (I believe two). In 1990, Circleville joined the Buckeye, New Albany the Cardinal. In 1991 A-C moved to the Buckeye, Granville and Heath joined the Cardinal. A big reason for A-Cs move was size/disparity in football, as A-C dominated the Cardinal in both 1989 and 1990, with the latter going 10-0 and missing the playoffs with what some old-timers will still argue was their best team aside from the two state champions.
3. I can certainly see a possibility for adding FC/BU, but do they want to play a Buckeye football schedule? One of our (A-Cs) biggest rivals was our neighbors to the east, even after we moved to the Buckeye. The series ended because BU couldn't complete anymore. Granted A-C is not what it was, but judging from the beatdown BU took this weekend, I have to question a move, and since FC lost decidedly to them I have to think the same. They already can schedule Buckeye schools in other sports easily as they like and do so. Even with the state of several football programs at present, do they choose to add two likely bottom feeders (again, no offense to those schools) 2-3 divisions smaller? I was curious and quickly looked at Joe Eitel. Unless I missed something, even Liberty Union, which is closest in size and has the most history with BU/FC has stopped playing them in football (BU last in 2014, FC last in 2012 when still in the Cardinal division).
4. I agree most MSL schools won't play ccl schools, but some have and would if needed. Certainly St. Charles. Possibly Watterson (not what they used to be). I doubt A-C will play Hartley again. No one is playing DeSales.
5. Agreed LU (and probably FU) would not care for the Fayette schools, but they aren't the whole league, and L U is still the new kid in the division. Still, I doubt MT/WCH are viable unless no other options emerge. Even then, they might not be interested anyway.

It is fun to speculate.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Congrats to Logan and their kids...been a long time coming. Will be interesting to see what MSL does if Teays Valley goes as well.*

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:36 am
The Exile wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:10 am I would be a bit surprised if HT left for the OCC (or were even offered). Of course, I'm surprised Logan was offered a spot, so what do I know? They would be significantly smaller than any other OCC school (granted, TV and Logan are smaller than the other OCC schools also, but still outnumber HT in the boys 9-11 count by about 100). HT has been even less dominant in the MSL than TV has. A move to the MSL-Ohio is interesting, though I'm not sure what it would get HT that they don't already have. Travel would be potentially worse getting to the north side for Buckeye Valley or Worthington Christian. Though Whitehall would add a bigger school for them, the rest of the Ohio division is not any bigger than the Buckeye division. I would also think a school like Jonathan Alder would be a more attractive long-term target if the OCC looked to expand. Hey, I could be wrong though.
HT's going to have issues making the D3 playoffs, even with the expansion to 16, if they stay in the Buckeye. Those problems may or may not be resolved if they go to the Ohio.

Other thing to consider is that the MSL-Ohio really shouldn't be thought of as being Mid-State League, if we're being honest. It's the generally same collection of schools from old conferences, just under the MSL banner. There is an opinion that the Ohio schools should really just be their own league altogether, escaping the MSL umbrella, and possibly expand to include schools like Centennial and Whetstone. Something like that would be immediately attractive to HT.
With all due respect, I think your history is mistaken. It was just "the" Mid-State League until 1990, then it split into Buckeye and Cardinal, with BU and FC being in the original MSL. Those two schools play the Buckeye on the regular outside of football. FC has also been an affiliate in the Buckeye for multiple sports this past decade.

There's drawbacks with the BU/FC route. But, that said, CV and LE have had some severe difficulties lately with football and FU just finished a season two years ago with 18 players on the whole roster.

The Buckeye schools aren't going to play the CCL in football, lol. There's only one who is even willing to play Harvest Prep, and that's BC.

"Glad someone actually acknowledges Harvest Prep. They've only dominated the MSL in football (last 8 yrs) and basketball (15 yrs). (I personally just care about football.) That is a heck of a Coach and program they have in Coach Milan Smith and the Warriors. They have a young team this year, but hope they keep going in the playoffs. He can take average and below average talent and make them into an effective and cohesive unit that is tough to beat. A great teacher of the game, position technique and character."

They might stick to 6 if HT were indeed to leave. Nothing says they "have" to go to 8, but it's also a situation where being picky might not serve the interests of some individual schools if it came down to 6.
I feel pretty confident in saying LU would not go for the Fayette County idea, haha. Distance and mileage is one issue, virtually no history of playing those schools is another.
Glad someone actually acknowledges Harvest Prep. They've only dominated the MSL in football (last 8 yrs) and basketball (15 yrs). (I personally just care about football.) That is a heck of a Coach and program they have in Coach Milan Smith and the Warriors. They have a young team this year, but hope they keep going in the playoffs. He can take average and below average talent and make them into an effective and cohesive unit that is tough to beat. A great teacher of the game, position technique and character."

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan will be lucky to win a game. Be the dumbest decision in Logan history to join the OCC

Return to “Football”