End of an Era at Valley.......

coop
SEOPS

Re: End of an Era at Valley.......

Post by coop »

If they have this “meeting” during the basketball game, the entire community should go stand on the court and refuse to leave until the snakes come out of the den.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

So this “meeting” is during the Varsity basketball game and is also

This is also the night of the Athletic Hall of Fame induction during the basketball game. Inductee’s Doug Booth, Jim Picklesimer, Dean Schuler, and Beth (Sammons) Coriell.

Y’all REALLLY don’t want the Valley community to know what’s going on….WOW.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Definitely sounds kinda odd.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Valley has had stable coaching in the program since the start of the Paul Miller era in the mid-70s. Darren took over and continued building upon the success. It would be a shame for decades of stability be wiped out over a foolish hire.

The era of Jerry Mcguiness is still fresh in the memories of many.

They needs to be very careful because the old money and support will blow up in their face

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I have expressed my feelings on things and I am sure I ruffled a feather or two. That's fine. I don't care.

I have nothing personally against the other candidate. I do not know him. Just to stop all the speculation and private messages, the other finalist is Tyler Evans. Evans went to West (I am 95% sure) through his Junior year and then transferred to Valley. He played in a handful of games before getting hurt. Per his teammates at the time, after the injury, they never seen him again. He no longer was around. I am sure Tyler is a good person but when his teammates do not think he is the man for the job, then I will side with them. The best I can tell, Evans was 6-14 in two seasons at Western Brown. WB 16-6 since that time.

Last spring the Lucasville community was down bad. They had kids transferring out. Nolan took a group of Valley kids and rallied the community all the way to the state final four in baseball. The kids love him. He is in the building. He has put more hours into the kids in that community than anyone other than Darren and Scott in the last 10 years.

The people in charge will do what they want and what they feel is best. That is what they were elected or chosen to do. That said, there is nothing that can be said in an interview that will convince me that anyone other than Nolan Crabtree deserves this job. That is coming from someone who has poured a ton of heart and soul in our program for the past 25 or so years.

This is OUR PROGRAM. Keep it OUR PROGRAM and hire someone that bleeds purple and gold!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:52 am I have expressed my feelings on things and I am sure I ruffled a feather or two. That's fine. I don't care.

I have nothing personally against the other candidate. I do not know him. Just to stop all the speculation and private messages, the other finalist is Tyler Evans. Evans went to West (I am 95% sure) through his Junior year and then transferred to Valley. He played in a handful of games before getting hurt. Per his teammates at the time, after the injury, they never seen him again. He no longer was around. I am sure Tyler is a good person but when his teammates do not think he is the man for the job, then I will side with them. The best I can tell, Evans was 6-14 in two seasons at Western Brown. WB 16-6 since that time.

Last spring the Lucasville community was down bad. They had kids transferring out. Nolan took a group of Valley kids and rallied the community all the way to the state final four in baseball. The kids love him. He is in the building. He has put more hours into the kids in that community than anyone other than Darren and Scott in the last 10 years.

The people in charge will do what they want and what they feel is best. That is what they were elected or chosen to do. That said, there is nothing that can be said in an interview that will convince me that anyone other than Nolan Crabtree deserves this job. That is coming from someone who has poured a ton of heart and soul in our program for the past 25 or so years.

This is OUR PROGRAM. Keep it OUR PROGRAM and hire someone that bleeds purple and gold!
Agreed, 100%

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

This is just my opinion.....Nolan will turn Valley football around, and Tyler will not. The support simply will not be there. Not saying hes a bad guy, I dont know him, but as alluded to above, the Valley community knows what Nolan Crabtree will bring to the Valley football program.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

coop wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:52 am I have expressed my feelings on things and I am sure I ruffled a feather or two. That's fine. I don't care.

Agreed, 100%
Tyler was at West prior to Valley. He was a good student and athlete, not entirely sure why he transferred. His father was one of the best ever to play at West. I can relate this situation to some at West during the 1990s and 2000s when we needed fresh perspective. When it happened, we brought in outsiders and it worked out well. Success in another sport or at the lower levels doesn't necessarily mean someone will be a great High School Head Coach. Varsity Head Football Coach is one of the hardest jobs there is, especially at school that has the smallest enrollment in the conference. Either way, I hope they hire a person that makes football better for the conference at the State-Level. Give whoever gets the job support and Valley Football will be fine.
Last edited by sider on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

coop wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 pm So this “meeting” is during the Varsity basketball game and is also

This is also the night of the Athletic Hall of Fame induction during the basketball game. Inductee’s Doug Booth, Jim Picklesimer, Dean Schuler, and Beth (Sammons) Coriell.

Y’all REALLLY don’t want the Valley community to know what’s going on….WOW.
This all sounds very weird.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Scheduling a board meeting with such an important issue on the agenda the very same time as a home basketball game, with Hall of Fame inductions? Pretty obvious the Board doesn't want too many people to show up for whatever they got planned. I'm not from Valley, but if I was and gave half a darn about the direction the football program goes for the next 10+ years (probably way beyond 10 years if the right hire is made), I'd make sure I made it to the Board meeting tomorrow night, even at the expense of the basketball game.

And while we're at it, put me down in support of Nolan Crabtree. The guy is everything you'd want out of a coach (football and baseball) and Valley football and baseball will be in good hands for years to come if he's given the opportunity.*

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:52 am Scheduling a board meeting with such an important issue on the agenda the very same time as a home basketball game, with Hall of Fame inductions? Pretty obvious the Board doesn't want too many people to show up for whatever they got planned. I'm not from Valley, but if I was and gave half a darn about the direction the football program goes for the next 10+ years (probably way beyond 10 years if the right hire is made), I'd make sure I made it to the Board meeting tomorrow night, even at the expense of the basketball game.

And while we're at it, put me down in support of Nolan Crabtree. The guy is everything you'd want out of a coach (football and baseball) and Valley football and baseball will be in good hands for years to come if he's given the opportunity.*
And now.....it has been put out that this is a PRIVATE meeting.....

WOW.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Hmm. That doesn't look good.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I don't know the other candidate. I'm sure he is a fine man. I do know Nolan. I do know his family even better. You won't find better people in any community. Will it translate to winning football games? It sure didn't hurt winning baseball games. Calm demeanor, level headed, and will ferociously protect the cubs. You can't ask for more.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I don't know the other candidate. I'm sure he is a fine man. I do know Nolan. I do know his family even better. You won't find better people in any community. Will it translate to winning football games? It sure didn't hurt winning baseball games. Calm demeanor, level headed, and will ferociously protect the cubs. You can't ask for more.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

FIDO wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:48 pm I don't know the other candidate. I'm sure he is a fine man. I do know Nolan. I do know his family even better. You won't find better people in any community. Will it translate to winning football games? It sure didn't hurt winning baseball games. Calm demeanor, level headed, and will ferociously protect the cubs. You can't ask for more.
Also facts! He pours his heart and soul into Valley. One example...Does he need to be sitting there commentating the basketball games? No. Buthe loves the kids, the school and the community.

I have all the confidence in the world that he will renew the energy around the program, increase the numbers and get Valley football when not on HE wants, but the rest of the community wants as well!

Make the right decision at your super shady secret squirrel meeting Valley BOE.

Put_me_in_coach
Waterboy

Post by Put_me_in_coach »

I have several friends out there and it sounds like maybe some junior high parents have some expectations and one has a direct line to a board member who has an agenda and hs been making promises. I’d like to think that’s rumor.
Sounds like it’s petty and unprofessional and embarrassing for the Valley faithful.
Best of luck in this mess. You have a guy in your school who is invested and respected. Shouldn’t be a question unless the other candidate has a record and resume that’s out of this world. Either way it works for me. My team might win if Valley stays out of the weight room.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Back in the mid 80's West had a stud running back in Bart Evans. I believe that was Tyler's dad. Where has Tyler been coaching at.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

For the sake of Valley kids I hope they make the logical, sensical decision. Valley program has been on solid ground for a while. Keep it that way with this hire or they are back to square one. Just my opinion.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

The truth is it’s not gonna matter who the coach is the next 3 seasons. The talent isn’t there to win against the better teams of the SOC2 and that is with the current Juniors, who are talented. Numbers just aren’t there. 2023 and 2024 Valley will be bad bad seasons. I know Darren was getting close to retirement, but this had to weigh heavily on his decision to at least give his replacement one average year before that 2 year stretch. If the coach cannot get the 8th grade class who is primarily basketball and baseball kids to play football in high school the drought will last longer. Times have changed, the years of 3 sport athletes is over. You just can’t train and do the things you need to do to excel in a sport or two, playing all year round and that kills small schools like those is Scioto County

Bronco19
Waterboy

Post by Bronco19 »

As a former player for Western Brown, I played for Coach Evans. He was fine as a person. I never had an issue with him as a coach. But I never felt like he was qualified on the night of the game. X's and O's were lacking. We didn't have what we needed to be successful. Maybe he was too early in his career? I can't say for sure. And he left shortly after, so we never got to see what he was capable of here. I don't want to talk down on anyone, but I can't imagine he's ready to take over a successful program like Lucasville has.

Return to “Football”