Minford bought wasted field over field turf??

14U
S

Minford bought wasted field over field turf??

Post by 14U »

Minford acts like they can’t afford field turf but bought waste land for stupid reason. Now Green small school and West has caught up with the times while Minford stay with grass. I think it’s sad for the players and fans. They ask for donations and had many money people aboard until rumors came out on the field between school and 139, for what? It’s going to take a lot of money to put a road in and makes no sense. I know a few donors that withdrew knowing the money was going for field. Wonder how most the donors got their money back on the lie of field turf?

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Re: Minford bought wasted field over field turf??

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Yep it’s pretty sad the school or union wouldn’t approve a single cent for the student athletes but found plenty enough money to invest in a bus access road that gives zero return on investment so a few busses do not have to go to a stop sign. Which probably won’t be built for who knows how long. School officials and board members failed the student athletes.

Treeh0rn
Waterboy

Post by Treeh0rn »

If you would have told me ten years ago Minford would be the last school without turf, I wouldn't have believed it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Treeh0rn wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 pm If you would have told me ten years ago Minford would be the last school without turf, I wouldn't have believed it.
I would've 100% believed they would be the last school 10 years ago, honestly at this point I'd be more surprised if that had it within the next 5-10 years. Now I would've NEVER guessed Green getting a turf field at all let alone before Minford. From the outside looking in Minford just looks content with their setup, I mean with everyone else in the league having turf they only have 5 games or so on their home grass field. Seems like they do a nice job of keeping it up though which is good. It's also a reason why they'll lose players and struggle to bring in players as they'll want to go a place with better facilities and a better chance at winning.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Why do they need another spot for the field? I think the spot they have now would be fine. Plenty of parking and easy in and out.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:42 pm Why do they need another spot for the field? I think the spot they have now would be fine. Plenty of parking and easy in and out.
The turf would have went on the existing field. But they took what money they raised and bought some property by the school instead of getting turf.

MapleParkSwimClub
Waterboy

Post by MapleParkSwimClub »

Correct me if I'm off. Around half the money needed was raised by the community and a generous donor. The school instead of supporting the project, turned around and bought land. Now they are broke.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MapleParkSwimClub wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:49 pm Correct me if I'm off. Around half the money needed was raised by the community and a generous donor. The school instead of supporting the project, turned around and bought land. Now they are broke.
That's what it sounds like has happened and honestly if the money was raised for a specific turf project and that's why people donated I believe the school would be in some trouble if they used that money elsewhere. Believe that's what is known as a scam in most circles.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Minford administration and board doesn't care. They don't care about winning, they don't care about bullying and as long as it doesn't interfere with their group of nepotism, they don't care. Big difference in Minford today vs 20 years ago.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

From my understanding, most turf projects that are funded by donations aren't given to the school. They are given to a third party, that way you can protect the donations from this sort of spending. Curious about the whole truth and nothing but truth, which we will probably never get.

FourEyes
Waterboy

Post by FourEyes »

SEO Sports wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:51 pm From my understanding, most turf projects that are funded by donations aren't given to the school. They are given to a third party, that way you can protect the donations from this sort of spending. Curious about the whole truth and nothing but truth, which we will probably never get.
Turf Project funds are kept in a bank account, separate from the school. The Rub comes from being about 300-400g short of the goal by the deadline to be able to get turf installed for the 2020 season and during that time the school decided to spend 350g on land vs choosing to help fund the turf project. The school wasn’t obligated to help, but the community took it as a slap in the face. I doubt you see much financial support from the community going forward.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:52 am
Treeh0rn wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 pm If you would have told me ten years ago Minford would be the last school without turf, I wouldn't have believed it.
From the outside looking in Minford just looks content with their setup, I mean with everyone else in the league having turf they only have 5 games or so on their home grass field. Seems like they do a nice job of keeping it up though which is good.
The facilities are fine and less than 20-yrs old. The problem with Minford is the admin and BOE and they simply do not view sports as a priority. They feel they just built a new stadium less than 20-yrs ago and that ppl should be happy with that. Also, there are those who like the grass field and take pride in maintaining it, and there are those who view it as a novelty of Minford being one of the few that still have it.

It's not a big deal to me and there are other factors at play for kids not coming out for the team rather than a turf field.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Minford’s gonna be a basketball school next 4 years so BOE won’t have any problems.*

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:14 am Minford’s gonna be a basketball school next 4 years so BOE won’t have any problems.*
Probably right

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

FourEyes wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:37 pm
SEO Sports wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:51 pm From my understanding, most turf projects that are funded by donations aren't given to the school. They are given to a third party, that way you can protect the donations from this sort of spending. Curious about the whole truth and nothing but truth, which we will probably never get.
Turf Project funds are kept in a bank account, separate from the school. The Rub comes from being about 300-400g short of the goal by the deadline to be able to get turf installed for the 2020 season and during that time the school decided to spend 350g on land vs choosing to help fund the turf project. The school wasn’t obligated to help, but the community took it as a slap in the face. I doubt you see much financial support from the community going forward.
Very reasonable.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

I would've 100% believed they would be the last school 10 years ago, honestly at this point I'd be more surprised if that had it within the next 5-10 years. Now I would've NEVER guessed Green getting a turf field at all let alone before Minford. From the outside looking in Minford just looks content with their setup, I mean with everyone else in the league having turf they only have 5 games or so on their home grass field. Seems like they do a nice job of keeping it up though which is good. It's also a reason why they'll lose players and struggle to bring in players as they'll want to go a place with better facilities and a better chance at winning.
Lot more than 5 games a year on that field, Jv, Freshman and 7th & 8th also play on it, closer to 20 games per year. :shock: :shock:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Maybe part of the issue is having the nice separate soccer field? Too expensive to turf two fields and Minford is serious about soccer.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Westfan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:42 pm Maybe part of the issue is having the nice separate soccer field? Too expensive to turf two fields and Minford is serious about soccer.

Probably true but no matter how bad the football team is they are still going to bring in more money than soccer. That’s just a given!!!

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:25 pm Yep it’s pretty sad the school or union wouldn’t approve a single cent for the student athletes but found plenty enough money to invest in a bus access road that gives zero return on investment so a few busses do not have to go to a stop sign. Which probably won’t be built for who knows how long. School officials and board members failed the student athletes.
Unions have NOTHING to do with with it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

falcon1 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:14 pm
Lot more than 5 games a year on that field, Jv, Freshman and 7th & 8th also play on it, closer to 20 games per year. :shock: :shock:
Very true but that's not considered honestly, the money is in the varsity. Just like some teams that have turf fields and the 7th and 8th graders still play on the grass fields they have. If anything having that many games and the field still in good shape by the end of the year and the field still being in good shape is reason to enough for them not to do it.

Return to “Football”