Wk 14: Region 19 Final The Burg versus Harvest Prep

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wk 14: Region 19 Final The Burg versus Harvest Prep

Post by wobycat »

vladimir wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:48 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:22 pm Have to agree with the 2nd half. Burg ran one back, Glover and Jones some and kept running up the middle. Never threw another pass to the TE after the long TD pass. Didn’t make any adjustments after HP loaded the box.

I still don’t understand why Derrick Lattimore didn’t run the ball much this year. That’s still a head scratcher. I’ll be surprised he is back next year. If he goes his brother would probably go as well. You could tell he was still hurting from the twisted ankle.
I’ve heard rumors for the past two years they were transferring to PHS. Now with another year under their belt, where would they go to play? They’d had to sit out or the whole family move to a new district.

Maybe they’ll transfer to Notre Dame this spring and try and enroll in PHS at the start of the year. I hear that’s the loop hole that ppl are exploiting now of days.
They ain’t transferring. They’ve been battling injuries

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 pm Burg needed one score in second half to win the game. Couldn’t get it. Time will tell if prep is the real deal.
I'd say the Final 4 teams are the real deal, meaning Harvest Prep inclusived. Obviously one will rise as the Champ. Harvest Prep has only been a school since 1986 and didn't start a football program until 1998. The first 10 yrs was pretty rough. But the last 8 straight years of playoff births, 7yrs out of 8 yrs w a League Title, only one league loss in 8 yrs and 3 Semi State Appearances in the last 8 yrs is not bad in the 23 yrs of it's football existence.

Takes a long time to build and develop tradition. The Pirates have tradition in spades just like Ironton, Waverly, Portsmouth, etc. We're talking 50-100 yrs old many of the schools in SEO have had football programs. Our community is pretty small - but Coach Smith is building a great foundation in the young men we have.

Waverly was a great host. I met Coach Woodaed prior to the game and he seemed to be a great coach and gentleman.

We will go back to work, prepare our butts off and even if one of main kids isn't quite on, like Sat night - our kids will listen to the Coaches adjustments and fight w all their hearts. If they do that, they can be proud no matter the outcome.

#WARRIORS #THEJOBSNOTFINISHED

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

LongTime wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:42 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:23 pm Burg needed one score in second half to win the game. Couldn’t get it. Time will tell if prep is the real deal.
I'd say the Final 4 teams are the real deal, meaning Harvest Prep inclusived. Obviously one will rise as the Champ. Harvest Prep has only been a school since 1986 and didn't start a football program until 1998. The first 10 yrs was pretty rough. But the last 8 straight years of playoff births, 7yrs out of 8 yrs w a League Title, only one league loss in 8 yrs and 3 Semi State Appearances in the last 8 yrs is not bad in the 23 yrs of it's football existence.

Takes a long time to build and develop tradition. The Pirates have tradition in spades just like Ironton, Waverly, Portsmouth, etc. We're talking 50-100 yrs old many of the schools in SEO have had football programs. Our community is pretty small - but Coach Smith is building a great foundation in the young men we have.

Waverly was a great host. I met Coach Woodaed prior to the game and he seemed to be a great coach and gentleman.

We will go back to work, prepare our butts off and even if one of main kids isn't quite on, like Sat night - our kids will listen to the Coaches adjustments and fight w all their hearts. If they do that, they can be proud no matter the outcome.

*included not inclusived. (Bad thumbs)

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

IMO, I actually think the Prep teams of these last couple seasons are less-talented than a handful of the teams in the late 00's/early 10's before Milan got there.

The difference is Milan is a huge disciplinarian, a tremendous coach and someone who can relate to the kids pretty well. The quality of the kids, too, supersedes their talent. Compare that to before Milan got there, IMO. Jack Johnson is a fantastic coach but it was always a perfect storm of everything not going the right way. From what I recall JJ was battling cancer during the time he was coaching, which didn't help, but his teams were always very disappointing in every regard imaginable. Not the case with Smith.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think the people saying HP was unimpressive haven’t a clue what they are talking about. I think what they should be saying is how impressive Burg was.

I think Burg caught HP off guard and were a little better than what they expected. Now, they adjusted in the 2nd half and Burg did not. Difference in that game!!

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:12 pm

IMO, I actually think the Prep teams of these last couple seasons are less-talented than a handful of the teams in the late 00's/early 10's before Milan got there.

The difference is Milan is a huge disciplinarian, a tremendous coach and someone who can relate to the kids pretty well. The quality of the kids, too, supersedes their talent. Compare that to before Milan got there, IMO. Jack Johnson is a fantastic coach but it was always a perfect storm of everything not going the right way. From what I recall JJ was battling cancer during the time he was coaching, which didn't help, but his teams were always very disappointing in every regard imaginable. Not the case with Smith.
Pretty fair assessment. The talent was greater back then. Different character of student athlete now.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:41 pm I think the people saying HP was unimpressive haven’t a clue what they are talking about. I think what they should be saying is how impressive Burg was.

I think Burg caught HP off guard and were a little better than what they expected. Now, they adjusted in the 2nd half and Burg did not. Difference in that game!!
HP looked lost the first half. But it doesn't really matter they won and move on. That's the name of the game this time of year.
Yes, I stated HP didn't impress me and they didn't. The Burg impressed me since game 6 of this year. You could tell they were figuring things out. I and others expected a total annihilation of the Burg by HP. It didn't happen. Therefore, not impressed.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

As long as prep has the best player on the field, they will give any team fits. They can score quickly. Overall prep might not be the best left of the remaining teams, but they are dangerous because they will have the best player.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

I see your point and agree. You can go a long way with a playmaker. Happens all the time in basketball. Put a good supporting cast around the playmaker and you get Ws.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Burg played as well as they could. They were not the best talented team all year but they did really well. Not a coach ,but I think the longer passes two or three times could have been replaced with shorter passes, when they needed 5 or six yards to keep a drive going. Great year overall SOC crown. Move on.

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

The problem for SEO teams is they can't regularly compete with teams from near or above I-70. It's just a different brand of football and different attitude about being able to compete in the other areas of the state.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Arnie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 pm The problem for SEO teams is they can't regularly compete with teams from near or above I-70. It's just a different brand of football and different attitude about being able to compete in the other areas of the state.
Our area is mapped out horribly. Too many schools in such a short mile radius.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:55 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:22 pm Have to agree with the 2nd half. Burg ran one back, Glover and Jones some and kept running up the middle. Never threw another pass to the TE after the long TD pass. Didn’t make any adjustments after HP loaded the box.

I still don’t understand why Derrick Lattimore didn’t run the ball much this year. That’s still a head scratcher. I’ll be surprised he is back next year. If he goes his brother would probably go as well. You could tell he was still hurting from the twisted ankle.
I’ve heard rumors for the past two years they were transferring to PHS. Now with another year under their belt, where would they go to play? They’d had to sit out or the whole family move to a new district.

Maybe they’ll transfer to Notre Dame this spring and try and enroll in PHS at the start of the year. I hear that’s the loop hole that ppl are exploiting now of days.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

If he transfers to ND the :loophole: only allows him to go back to his home school he came from ..Burg.

It is an exception rule for ALL ohio schools

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:15 pm If he transfers to ND the :loophole: only allows him to go back to his home school he came from ..Burg.

It is an exception rule for ALL ohio schools
Who we talking about?

Never mind. I see what you’re responding to

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Why would Derrick stay if he wants to run the ball? It will be the same thing next year. Glover and Jones will be the primary runners.

I find that hard to believe that Derrick was battling injuries. He would rip off an 8,10 or 12 yard run and get pulled and not run the ball again. Never seemed injured to me. Never saw him limping or hobbling on the field or the sideline. How do you go from being a big part of the running game last year to not touching the ball this year? Sure, Glover had an incredible year but can you imagine if they would have had both of them in the backfield at the same time!!!!!!

He's too good of an athlete to just have standing on the sideline. You could tell he wanted to play because every time they yelled for him he was right next to the coach ready to go in. Does anyone have Derrick's numbers for this year? I know he came out of the Ironton game and then missed I believe two games after that. Last year he ran the ball 95 times for 784 yards. 8.25 YPC with 8 TD's. 8.25 Yards Per Carry!!!!!!!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Why would Derrick stay if he wants to run the ball? It will be the same thing next year. Glover and Jones will be the primary runners.

I find that hard to believe that Derrick was battling injuries. He would rip off an 8,10 or 12 yard run and get pulled and not run the ball again. Never seemed injured to me. Never saw him limping or hobbling on the field or the sideline. How do you go from being a big part of the running game last year to not touching the ball this year? Sure, Glover had an incredible year but can you imagine if they would have had both of them in the backfield at the same time!!!!!!

He's too good of an athlete to just have standing on the sideline. You could tell he wanted to play because every time they yelled for him he was right next to the coach ready to go in. Does anyone have Derrick's numbers for this year? I know he came out of the Ironton game and then missed I believe two games after that. Last year he ran the ball 95 times for 784 yards. 8.25 YPC with 8 TD's. 8.25 Yards Per Carry!!!!!!!!!
So you believe that the coaches would deliberately ignore that kind of production? Come on man. I’m sure the coaches know what’s going on. I’m not going to speculate.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:08 pm

So you believe that the coaches would deliberately ignore that kind of production? Come on man. I’m sure the coaches know what’s going on. I’m not going to speculate.

I'm not sure what was going on but you could just tell he wanted to run the ball. If they yelled his name he practically sprinted up to the coaches because he was ready to go. He just didn't act like an injured player to me and that's JMO

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:21 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:08 pm

I'm not sure what was going on but you could just tell he wanted to run the ball. If they yelled his name he practically sprinted up to the coaches because he was ready to go. He just didn't act like an injured player to me and that's JMO
Watch the last quarter of the first Ironton game. He was in the doghouse all year after that

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

PrepStarz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:29 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Watch the last quarter of the first Ironton game. He was in the doghouse all year after that
Did they just not want that kid to shine for some reason since he wasn't hurt and he is productive on the field?

If they benched him all season for that one game at the start of the season, where just about everyone played like crap then that let’s me know this coaching staff has totally lost it. He was the best runner they had last year and hardly touched the ball this year.

Pretty asinine if you ask me. Him and Glover in the backfield would have been a lethal combination. Cost them against HP as Glover was flat wore out in the 4th qtr from overuse.

Going to be interesting to see what happens next year.

Return to “Football”